TAMU 2019 Success stories for average test scores!

gosh, i was holding out some hope that we might know something sooner than later but it sounds like there will be more waiting. we have a plan b in motion but an acceptance from a&m would be a dream come true for my son. this is something he has wanted since he was a small child and he has worked so hard to obtain. as a parent, i feel totally helpless!

we heard a similar presentation during our orientation session. the guy even boasted about charging $5,000 more for a semester and people would pay it. definitely like a scared straight episode mentioned above!

@nervoustamumommy If she is #26 out of 350, then she is Top 7%. Or am I reading her rank wrong?

@BlueBayouAZ yes, it was during the presentation. She ended many sentences with this like, if you don’t have this and that “it probably won’t end well for you” no joke - scared straight is actually a funny, and accurate way to describe it. Very little said had any positive undertones, most was reasons you won’t get in. I think that’s why we left feeling deflated. We still love TAMU and are praying my kiddo isn’t going to fall into the very bleak outcomes that were referenced pretty much the whole time, of course. I can only hope maybe she just didn’t want kids getting their hopes up? Most of what she said re; review candidates was not positive, and then the kind of “warnings” about how many applicants so far are auto and academic admits ?

@JenniferAggie91 thanks for catching that massive typo! She’s #46 out of 350 and has been placed in second quartile. From what I understand she’s the first person in second quartile. And kids keep moving away so, yeah…lol

@tisulli that’s a pretty accurate and similar account of that session. I honestly wish we’d just stuck to tour only. Left very deflated to say the least. Most of it was centered around the reasons you won’t get it.

@AggieMomhelp that would’ve been awesome! At this point we are not holding our breath, read comments below about the tone of the session and you’ll see why lol. What is this thing I always read about tabs changing? Has anyone heard of review admits who’ve finally heard back?

@nervoustamumommy You’re daughter is top 13%. Why do you feel she’s in the 2nd quarter? And the rank stops at the end of junior year. It cannot change unless your transcripts were sent in late during summer break or early fall when they redo the numbers from students leaving. Always best to get the June transcript with that rank on it.

I think someone has answered you on the tab situation, if not, let me know. And there was a small wave of review admits that heard back middle of december.

@AggieMomhelp ! Wow! That’s awesome! Idk why I thought second quartile, well geeze if she would’ve done better on her tests she would’ve been in ??‍♀️ I’m not the best with numbers, can you tell? Haha. As far as kids moving away, a lot moved away last year as well, so I know it doesn’t really matter, but I don’t remember it fluctuating so much. Apparently the kids still keep track, and when they fill out local scholarships (thankfully we have many available where I’m at, oldest got 8 of them when she applied!) they go get an updated transcript from the counselor, and many scholarships ask for the more recent one, so I know hers moved. Regardless, boy am I a dummy. I thought 46 in the class ACTUALLY mean 46 ?
Anyways, I didn’t see the tab comment, possibly on another thread that I haven’t checked yet. I seriously had no idea she was that close to being an auto admit ?

@nervoustamumommy Well isn’t it fun to realize you weren’t correct and it be a good thing? lol

Top 13% is great. What was her test score again? I’m a bit lazy right now to go find it. And the “tabs” will be on Howdy portal. Right now it will have 3. My Application, my howdy, and another. Then when the behind the scenes accept her, she will have 3 more tabs. It will show my housing/finance, etc. I can’t remember them all but know someone posted on the other thread for class of 2023.

@AggieMomhelp she has a 1300 SAT and 26 ACT. Just barely missed it on the SAT

Oh I really don’t think you guys have anything to worry about. For real. That’s a great SAT and being close to the top 10 will give you the nod. Hang in there. I bet you find out this next wave.

@AggieMomhelp thank you! The wait wondering when that next wave will be sure is nerve wracking! Yesterday A&M had the first new student orientation for 537 new students. I was green with envy seeing that on Twitter ?

@nervoustamumommy
Those were transfer students NSO, not incoming freshmen. School starts Monday for them. Freshmen will start in May.

There was also a freshman conference included, but those are fish that took a semester off and didn’t take any college credit after high school. It’s very few, but they are included in one of the two january nsc sessions.

@AggieMomhelp Oh, that’s right! In fact, there is a CC member who had a son admitted for Spring who graduated in Dec!

Do you remember his stats? I wonder if it’s easier to get in that way…

@AggieMomAgain @Thelma2 I am curious, does being first generation help at all? If so, why do you think that is?

@AggieMomhelp I think her D was a transfer as well. I’m not home but I’ll look back at pages and see. I believe he was home schooled and architecture major.
@nervoustamumommy being a first generation college student may be assigned a value in considerations but it would be in the 50% of “everything else” that’s considered AFTER the projected GPA a student will earn at A&M is determined, using the class rank and test score that account for 50% of the decision.

@AggieMomhelp I was confusing Jaceyk with the Soring admit. That person is cpacestx. Homeschool/private school. 1Q assigned. 1130 SAT. Admitted to Viz for Soring 2019

@Thelma2 @AggieMomhelp my daughters school is rural. They have some programs that are pretty cool like vet tech, Ag etc. but one odd thing, for whatever weird reason, they don’t offer honors classes, or AP classes. They do have pre-AP which my daughter took all of those 9th-11th. I don’t see how or why they’d have pre-AP if it’s not going to lead to AP. Have you ever heard of that? And do you think it’s a bad thing that she doesn’t have those on her transcript? She is in NHS, dual credit, Varsity Cheer all four years, student council and various clubs tons of CS.