TAMU 2022 parent questions and answers

@AggieMomhelp She has a vague idea, recognizing she has to take the bus. She has a BF of 2 years who will be visiting fairly often and she does not want to cause an issue with any potential roommate regarding an overnight visitor. It’s a Catch 22.

@BingeWatcher I know next to nothing about College Station, we, in fact, have never done an official tour of A&M either! Been there many times for cheer and LAX tournaments. But never officially toured.

the official tour is very interesting - they let you know about the history of the school & fun facts along the way (like items that are in Pixar films up! & Monsters Inc. the history of the bell, rules of the MSC, etc ) – each tour is slightly different as the student tour guides are given a little freedom to tailor the tour to the groups. We did two (one for each student). It is free. Things to see: MSC ( check out the flag room & medal of honor winners), Alumni Center with the big ring outside has exhibits inside too, Kyle Field does tours, Walk thru the Corps, the bonfire memorial, the Century tree, Statue of Sully & the academic building behind it with the seal & bell inside - if it is an exam day you’ll see pennies on Sully, Bush Presidential Library, etc… Students are very friendly & helpful – it is a big place. If you’re thinking future student, there is also a dorm tour & a how to apply session. You can pick and choose depending on your schedule - FYI Bush Library charges & takes some time to go through but very interesting. Have fun!

@AggieMomhelp, well we are just going to drive through the campus and not get out of the car. We are coming from Temple area (Will drive from Lubbock to Temple tomorrow after work. THen Temple to Houston for “Hamilton” play in downtown Houston that Friday evening. Then right after play over drive straight to Plano for Saturday morning state finals for Academic Octathlon…Yep a lot of driving for me. Just want to see what the campus looks like. Don’t think TAMU is really an option for us as it is unaffordable. But since we are in the neighborhood…

@BingeWatcher OH gotcha. Campus isn’t the easiest to ‘drive’ thru, but come in the main entrance off of Business 6 also called Texas Avenue. That’s a really pretty drive into the place. Then when you come to the end of the road, turn left (on your right you’ll see the Bonfire Memorial). Turning left will take you to George Bush Drive (you’ll pass Golf course and some dorms). Turn right onto George Bush and then another right when you see the stadium. It’s beautiful. The Alumni Center will be on your right (stadium on your left). You’ll T into Memorial Student Center and Rudder Tower. You can only turn right from there. And will kinda loop back to George Bush… if you turn right again on GB and cross railroad tracks, you’ll see Blue Bell Park (Baseball on your right). Take a right on that street. From here you can see all of the sports stuff. Athletic complex on left (softball, tennis, soccer), baseball on right and just up the way is Reed Arena for basketball. Next to baseball field is the Rec Center… it’s huge!!! If y’all can pop in there, it’s really cool if your student is into that stuff. This side of campus (known as West campus) has a dorm, Ag buildings, Vet school, Mays Business school and other Ag related things. I know, I know… way more info than you wanted!!! But Campus is broken up and hard to drive thru… oh on the North side it’s called Northgate… bars and restaurants on that side plus a lot of off campus student living. Try driving as many places as allowed. I didn’t hit a ton of stuff, but the easiest things to explain!

D and her friend want White Creek too. The distance is part of the reason. They want to go to the main part of the campus and stay then “go home”. I think they are afraid if they are closer they will go back to the dorm and nap too often!!!

Thank you so much @AggieMomhelp. Looking forward to seeing the campus and getting D a T shirt.

@BingeWatcher You’re welcome. MSC has the tshirts on campus (there’s a parking garage next to football stadium for public parking). MSC is really nice and modern. Barnes and Noble book store is in there for all the aggie gear.

@helimom3 OH there will be napping for sure, lol. But depending on schedule… it’s nice to be able to go back to dorm… or if you’re at home and friend says meet me at MSC or Sbisa… it’s not a hike or pain to get there. Hopefully they will get a dining hall on West campus but for now, only a small food court that’s not open late.

Ok so someone please tell me that A&M will open a bunch more class sections? Like a bunch more…!?! My soon to be fresh!an psychology major has been trying to put together some tentative schedules and well things did not look good. Lots of already full sections.

@labegg Yes, they will open up some more of everything. AND… they will probably have a “schedule” kind of put together for these students. Core classes do fill up fast but they will open up some. Just know, freshman get the worst schedule so it probably won’t be ideal!

@labegg The key right now is just learning how to look up the classes and put them into a schedule, to get familiar with what a workable day would look like, so that when the time comes, she can put one together fairly quickly and then switch stuff around if it’s too heavy in places.

What your daughter will have to choose classes from will likely open the night before her registration day and some even that morning and maybe some later in the afternoon, depending on the major/class.

When my son registered, he got the schedule he wanted in just a few minutes, with who he wanted and likewise for others. There were other students who were in the room the entire allotted time, still trying to figure out looking up what they needed and classes closing on them, by the time they got something figured out, until more classes opened up. We went to Aggieland Outfitters afterwards and ran into kids of other majors who came away with less than a full load. Not to worry, they can pick what they need during late registration and add/drop.

@Thelma2 I’m an incoming freshman, with my NSC coming up in June. I did my NSC Online Orientation and have been playing around with third party college scheduling tools (Coursicle and Aggie Scheduler) just to get an idea of what my schedule might look like for my first ever college semester. In the class schedule, lots of courses seem to have odd meeting times. For example, a certain section of honors math 151 (Calculus I) says it meets Monday through Friday at varying times at varying times of the year. I don’t know if you would happen to be familiar with the interface of the online course scheduling system, but any kind of help deciphering this would be of great help!

Here is a link to a screenshot of the Math 151 information:
https://postimg.cc/image/j3sm6s0m3/

@Silly Sailboat I believe the MWF time is the lecture hours with the professor. The next two times are when you will meet for lab with likely a TA. The last three are the common test times for the class.

@silly Sailboat
I can’t tag you with the space in your name.
I am sorry, I do not recall the interface exactly. It has been quite some time since I have seen it. That said, I do recall the calculus some. From what I recall, 2 days are lecture days one is recitation and I think the other is lab, which can be on different days and different times from the two lecture days. You will also see the 3 test dates and times for that class.

Maybe someone else will pipe in on it.

I am looking at the NSC schedule. Day 1 is a full day for students and parents. It looks like Day 2 for my Math major is the Math Placement Exam, Advising, and Registration. So is there anything for parents on Day 2?

We went to a 2 day NSC as well. I highly recommend Pre Conference day, if you can. Lots of great stuff around campus and at the Memorial Center.
On day 2, from what I recall, and some may have changed, there are sessions parents sit in on and others the kids sit in on and then we went to the group advising with them. Then to lunch and then they went to register. A lot of parents (mine was engineering) went to the building where they registered, but the parents sat in the conference room and did not go in with the students. After that, he was free to go. Then you hit Aggieland Outfittes or the Warehouse and get all of your maroon garb.

@S18D20mom - Shopping! ;))

My son is a Physics major and it looks like the kids need to check-in for the MPE day 2 at 8:00-8:15 am, Science students go to Blocker Computing Center and Engineering students go to the Engineering Activities Building A.

Here is a link to the NSC schedule: http://newaggie.tamu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/FR-Schedule-SAMPLE-4.27.pdf

Today is Fish Camp registration! Starts at 3:00 pm.

https://fishcamp.tamu.edu

I highly recommend fish camp! My son really liked it last year and is going to be a counselor for session g this year!

@rosegeo My son is hoping to get into Session G.

and now the service is unavailable… can’t log in to sign up for camp. Anyone else having this issue?