TAMU 2022 parent questions and answers

@EmilyBui - I didn’t read all your posts but a lot of students start out at A&M and then go on to nursing school at UTMB in Galveston. I think it’s actually a better and less cut throat nursing school. My daughter is about to graduate from UTMB. At the matriculation ceremony there were tons of Aggies - even a yell leader sitting behind me who was there for his sister who started at A&M. Each student stood on stage and introduced themselves one at a time - many whoops as each Aggie proudly stated they were an Aggie.

Does anyone know the process for picking roommates? My son had a little questionnaire when he applied for housing, but that was it. For some reason, I thought there was a place for students to pick roommates that had similar interests, study habits, etc.

@trish02 last year they started something different. In may or June when you select rooms, you can see who else is in the room and click on their profile where it shows study habits, interests, etc. Now I’m unsure what you do if you know you want to live with a friend.

@YourCollegeMom Is the profile information from the questionnaire the students fill out during the housing application? It seemed like just a few questions and I don’t think there was anything about interests. Thanks!

@trish02 When it gets closer they will open up a roommate selection web page where you can fill out a questionnaire that lets the system suggest roommates to you, or you can browse profiles of kids looking for roommates as well. What you see for each student is something they write themselves to describe themselves and you can agree to exchange contact info if you would like. If you choose roommates prior to room selection then the roommate with the best housing window priority will select a room for all of you. If you do not select a roommate ahead of time, then when your place in line comes up, you will be given a window of time to look at the dorms/apartments and select one. In this process you will see who is already in that room or apartment before selecting. Alternately, if you chose to live in an LLC then you will select a room prior to this process but will be limited to the exact location of the LLC. If you have housing accommodations, then your room will be selected prior to all of this by the housing office to meet your accommodations, but you will be able to change it during your housing priority window if you wish to.

Thank you @pbleigh! That helps so much! :x

yesss OOS and got accepted into engg . now the wait for other college decisions begins. will there be spots inhousing available if we choose late or is it better to pay the deposit and pick one now even thought we may not go there

There is no deposit to apply for housing @rora18 just a $75 app fee. So apply now if you want good housing.

@YourCollegeMom I am asking for my friend, her daughter just got accepted and planning to register NSC. She is also waiting on another college which may give her scholarship. What will happen if she registered NSC and accepted offer but change her mind later when she decides to attend another school? Thanks in advance!

To my knowledge this isn’t a contract. By signing up for NSC and putting a deposit down for housing, you just may lose any deposits. Exciting that she has options though! Hopefully she’ll pick TAMU! Lol

YourCollegeMom - I’m panicking because my son hasn’t submitted reference letters to A&M to apply for scholarships and business honors. He should be able to obtain them in the next ten days but I’m worried that by then college offices will be closed and they won’t be downloaded into his AIS in time. He can scan them and send them in, but normally A&M can take up to several weeks to update an applicant’s information. Is it too late to get the letters in to A&M? (After we get them back from the teachers in about ten days)? The deadline for both scholarship and business application is Jan. 1 or 2.

My son’s experience and what I have read on these forums both suggest that it hasn’t so far taken long for submitted documents to show up in AIS. Yes, Admissions publishes a probable worst case time frame, but update doesn’t seem to take anywhere near that long. My son’s LORs were even mailed in but still showed up in AIS very quickly. I would recommend that your son consider getting this LOR requests out this weekend if possible or first thing Monday morning if he hasn’t already and follow up soon with those he is asking for recommendation. Could he email out his requests today and suggest a reasonable near term deadline? I have a difficult time also picturing that Admissions would be completely quiet for weeks over the holidays, considering their probable workload. This is my 2 cents’ worth. Good luck to you.

Thank you for your help. One teacher had already agreed several months ago to write a recommendation letter and was waiting on him to email her his resume, which was done today. He emailed the other teacher last night. She is an English teacher so should be proficient at writing recommendation letters. I’m hoping we can get them sent in by Tuesday, Dec. 19. I’m still not sure the best way to send them in. Does anyone have any experience in driving to A&M and submitting documents? I handed over some dual credit transcripts to the Houston Prospective Student Center a few weeks ago and still have nothing to indicate they have been received so I don’t want to go that route again.

@TexasMustang Regarding scholarships, AIS My App Status has following information:
“Admissions file must be complete by 1/10/2018 for Scholarship consideration.
All documents received by January 10 will satisfy the scholarship deadline.”

Wonderful news about the Jan. 10 deadline. I had thought it was Jan. 2. Thank you TXPapa.

@TexasMustang Submitting LORs by uploading them is preferred. They will be visible to the applicant. You have read this, no doubt. Our experience was only with giving the teachers stamped addressed envelopes with resume attached and asking for a (confidential) letter to be sent directly. As has been pointed out in these forums, a person wants to do whatever they can. You could easily ask about hand delivering by using the online Admissions chat window. This has been helpful when I tried it. Best wishes to you.

Okay, I can’t wrap my mind around the letters being visible to the applicant. But if that’s the preferred system, to upload them ourselves, my son can do that. Thank you for your help.

@TexasMustang any news???

Daughter has been admitted as a review admit in late November, but if she wants to change majors that requires changing Colleges, does she request that at NSC or should she do it ASAP since college/majors fill up quickly? Will it require another review of her application? Thanks in Advance!

I’m a parent of a graduating Aggie. I was wondering, does the official Minor GPA show up on the official transcript? I can see it on the degree planner. So what about the official transcript? Does the official Minor GPA show up on the official transcript too? If not, then where else is it reported? Thank you