TAMU 2022 parent questions and answers

The admissions office told me what TXPapa said about the deadline for submitting documents for scholarship purposes. However my son is also applying to the business honors program. The deadline for that program is Jan. 2, including documents. We have both letters from the teachers now and will be scanning and sending them in tomorrow.

Can anyone who has had a child go to TAMU tell me about needing a car while they are there? My son has a car he can take I am just not sure how much he would really need it? If he does need a car we are considering getting him a nicer one than the one he has used in high school.

@hopeTAMUengmom I live here and have a daughter who is a junior. I would say YES to a car if not a burden. While a student can get around town without one, it’s not ideal. The town is spread out and even if live on campus, they want to get off during the weekends and even at night. We have uber and taxi service, just not the easiest. It’s definitely a small town feel when it comes to transportation, but lots of places to go (movies, mall, jobs, groceries etc.) where a car would be most helpful. BUT I do know many students who don’t have one the first year. I know this probably didn’t help, lol.

My daughter will be living on campus and the plan is to not take a car. We will reassess over Christmas. I have heard that parking is very expensive and a car can almost be a pain. I think she is also going to try and live on North side as I believe that is where there are a few more stores & restaurants.

Parking permits are any where from $300 to $450 per year depending on lot or parking garage. My daughter has Cain garage by MSC and it’s $450. Lot 100 is closer to $300 for the year. You can pick up a parking pass at semester and they prorate it based on availability. Just keep that in mind.

North side does have some restaurants and bars (northgate) but no real stores. Sbisa dining hall (located on North side) has great food and attached to it is also a little market, Smashburger, Chick fil a, a mexican restaurant, bagel shop and… I think that’s it. It’s been a while since I’ve been down below Sbisa. There’s also a Starbuck at Hullabaloo as well as one on Northgate.

Buses run all over campus so regardless of where you live on campus, you can get to north side pretty quickly when necessary.

There is a CVS on University in the Northgate area. The MSC also carries some essentials on campus. They use to have a store (similar to a 7-11) in the Commons - I’m not sure with the remodel if it is still there (it was named Rattler’s Convenience Store & you could use dining dollars to pay back then).

Accepted student here… do we apply for housing even if we haven’t accepted our offer of admission yet? I would like to go to A&M but I’m waiting to hear back from other schools

@ke06 YES, apply for housing ASAP! If within the 30 days of acceptance you’ll get priority time slot otherwise it’s to the back of the line regardless of acceptance. You’ll lose your $75 (I think that’s what I paid) but if you have any thoughts of attending TAMU, then I would suggest/encourage you to apply for housing! Congrats on TAMU and best of luck on hearing acceptance offers from your other schools!!! It’s great to have options!

A few random questions here. My son has been accepted into Mays Business School for next fall. The university requires 9 hours of science. My son has already taken one science course with lab for dual credit. It does transfer to A&M as one of the required sciences. So that leaves 5 hours of required sciences. Can he take one 4 hour science course and just a lab for the remaining 1 hour of science credit? Requiring 9 hours seems like a trick given that science courses are usually 4 hours when the lab is included.

Also, does a student need A&M’s permission to take courses elsewhere such as at a community college (not just Blinn) the same semester they are enrolled at A&M?

Finally, A&M tells me that a student suffers no consequences, other than in financial aid and scholarships, which we are not expecting any to

come my son’s way, when taking less than 12 hours in a semester, Does anyone know if that’s true? He will sign up for 4 classes but if he has to drop one will there be any consequences?

You can go back to admission page on AIS and look at NSC dates. They list the colleges that will be at specific dates. It is easy to change your dates if need be. We are going May 31-June 1. Not sure what to do about overnight. Thinking of and AIrbnb. Or VRBO so we can stay 3 nights.

Hlyesbapply to Housing ASAP.

@TexasMustang The other science course will actually be a Kine class, so that takes care of that! He can also take a 3 credit science course that doesn’t have a lab if he wants.

He does not need permission to be dual enrolled at CC, just make sure the course transfers of course. Sometimes they require you to take certain courses ONLY at TAMU but that tends to be more for Eng. than Business.

Students can drop to 9 hours no issues. Still considered a student and can participate an everything (Club sports, clubs, intramurals, etc.). Just remember… TAMU only allows 4 Q drops not 6.

@Mommyof2girls Book early but we do have a ton of accommodations! Hotels are popping up like crazy!

Yes booking soon just cannot decide on hotel or vrbo or Airbnb. We are not a decisive crew!!! Stayed in hotel last time, it was fine but thought we might change it up a bit.

Hi again, around when can i expect finding out what my financial aid package will be like?

@ke06 I’m not sure when they release that information. If I find out, I will let ya know! Anyone else have an idea on financial aid packages for TAMU?

Hi, so D has definitely decided on A&M now and has signed up for NSC but she was asked to select locked or variable tuition rate - any thoughts on this? I understand the concept but wondering if anyone knows how fast/slow the tuition has been increasing over the last few years that might make one more desirable than the other.

We chose locked for my D a few years ago and my best friends son did variable. Every semester has been within a couple of $100s of each other surprisingly. I’m just a conservative and like to know what I’m going to be paying. There’s no way tuition will ever go down so I figure it’s a win win.

@AggieMomhelp Thank you for your perspective. I think I might go locked as well, I am a planner and knowing the amount will help with that!

My kiddo just accepted this morning. Whew! She’s signed up for a NSC, but I’m trying to figure out what dates I should make hotel reservations for move-in. I’d rather make them sooner than later.

Also, if she wants to stay on-campus for the NSC, she has to sign up for an Iris account, and to do that, she has to have a UIN, and to get that she has to sign up for a Google Apps account, which it’s not letting her do. Am I missing something?