TAMU 2022 parent questions and answers

@MotherLode The UIN is on the AIS above where it says your admission status, along with your Name, Major, Term etc. In regards to the google account, it took me a couple weeks after accepting my admissions before I could make one.

@motherlode I would definitely make reservations sooner than later. It gets crazy up here during move in weekend. Make them for the weekend before school starts! That will be move in day for most dorms as well as off campus housing! If you need any recommendations, let me know!

The week prior to school start date is when the move in begins (on that Sunday). It is now called Howdy week (use to be gig’em week) – no classes, just getting to know the campus/facilities/other students. It is also sorority recruitment that week too which starts on the Monday. https://reslife.tamu.edu/movein/

@MotherLode My son stayed in the dorm for NSC and it wasn’t the experience I thought it would be. I thought he would be around a lot of other NSC incoming freshmen intermingling. There was no intermingling. Because it begins very early (we had to meet up at 7:30 am for engineering) it was a pain with breakfast/parking/getting where we needed to be on time. Looking back, I’d have him in the hotel with us. Just for logistics.

We went June 30/July 1, which was our first weekend when our major was offered, so make sure to chose a date that has your major listed. It was also a combined NSC for transfers so don’t let that throw you when you see it. Transfer students do their thing and freshmen do theirs.

I must stress that you do pre-conference day. SO much to do and so many photo ops at the Williams Alumi Center. You can also pick up your sports pass at the Klodus building before the crowds on actual NSC day.

Be sure to order your sports pass the day they become available. They do sell out. Also, reserve your parking space the day it opens. They sell out.

@Thelma2 do you remember when sports passes and parking passes go on sale?

@S18D20mom I will have to go look it up in my file when I get home for exact date (and the 12th man foundation link to the sports pass is disabled right now) but I believe the parking passes are available in April and the assignment was sent via son’s email. Back when we bought ours for fall 2016, the email required you to respond via the link in the email by a certain date so make sure this is done or you lose it.

The sports pass is in Spring as well. Someone usually posts it here later when they open or just keep checking the 12th man foundation website.

My daughter has been accepted, we are waiting for her scholarship package info to come. She also applied for the Honors college and dorms, any idea on when that info will be sent out? She hasn’t picked a dorm yet so we want to make sure she gets a room!

@McKinneyMom Dorm info won’t come out til May. She’ll get a time and day to select. As for scholarship, that’s usually this month at some point. As for Honors… no clue… mine weren’t even close to needing that, lol. Good luck!

DS got an email today inviting him to Honors Biology Program. He did not apply to University Honors but I would guess this month.

@S18D20mom Here is the link that was for fall 2017 parking. Parking opens in April and runs through July. The exact dates for 2018 will vary slightly, I am sure. http://transport.tamu.edu/parking/faqpermit.aspx

@Thelma2, my son is signed up for his NSC on 5/31-6/1. Should we plan on being up there on 5/30? Is that considered the pre-conference day?

@ATXAggie Yes, the 30th is preconference day. Starts in the afternoon. Can get all sorts of things out of the way including tours, ID photo, couple of sessions and there’s a social that night. Book hotel now though as the better and closer hotels can fill up quickly!

@AggieMomhelp Which option is better? White Creek Apartment or nearby hotel?

Thanks @Thelma2.

Sorry, meant thanks @AggieMomhelp! Haven’t quite figured out the edit process.

@ATXAggie The Stella is a great new hotel and groupon has some great rates that beat other chain hotels. Plus the George is a new hotel I’d love to stay one day. Most all hotels raise the rates for events (don’t recall if they consider NSC an event) and you can book early before hand and get good rates.

For NSC, I stayed at a chain hotel and son stayed in modular dorm. It was all fine except getting breakfast the next morning and picking him up in relation to where we were allowed to park. Hind sight, I would have just had him at the hotel.
His roommate in the dorm was not with a parent so it was a great option for him without the hotel expense.

For New Student Conference in June 2017, my daughter and I stayed in a local hotel. A little quieter, perhaps. Check for the locations near campus. I mistakenly reserved one further from campus than I had planned to, so we ended up at a place on the main Hwy 6. :frowning: Also, the hotel was having issues with WiFi and that made it difficult for my daughter to look up info on classes and professors, etc. at night. She could access some info on her phone but not her computer or my Kindle. Wish we had switched hotels after the first night, but they told me it was “being fixed” when we left to go to campus that morning. But they ended up offering a partial refund. :slight_smile:

Definitely go to the pre-conference afternoon if at all possible. The sign in lines are not as long as they are in the morning. And your student can pick up their sports pass. Pay for that earlier online.

Plus, you can get the “Class of ##” and Family shirts in the sizes you need on pre-conference day. Several people mentioned later that some sizes were not available when they signed in at the morning session. People wore them on the second day. Take lots of photos!

We stayed elsewhere for the night before Fish Camp. :slight_smile:

White Creek is an apartment style on campus so it’s a good option with decent parking. You could shuttle over to MSC/Rudder for NSC stuff or drive and park at parking garage across from Rudder (never fills up).

If you have any hotel questions, let me know. I live here so have a good lay of the land. Embassy Suites just opened up on the corner of University and Texas (diagonal from Bonfire Memorial). As @thelma2 said, the Stella and the George are great as well. Stella is further out for sure, but really nice! the George is across from Bonfire Memorial on University and has many restaurant options in walking distance!

My son was accepted to the Engineering Blinn team. I notice that he will sign up for classes at Texas A&M during the NSC. Does Blinn also have a NSC day? How should we coordinate his schedule? Can we sign up online at Blinn? I don’t want to have to book another trip just for his Blinn classes.

That’s a great question. I know someone on here has this info. If not I will look into it. Fear not tho, another trip will not be necessary.