TAMU- 2024 After you've been accepted... questions and answers

I don’t think there is honors housing just for engineering. LLC is great especially for engineering. Having suite mates in the commons (the eng llc) is a good option. He should definitely do fish camp or impact camp. That’ll give him a good base before howdy week starts. Fish camp groups do things during the first month or so of school so they have a place to belong. It’s really nice.

My son is an OOS engineering jr. I dont know if there is still engineering honors llc but there was 2 years ago, ECOS. My son did this and lived in Mosher. He is quiet and not super outgoing. He did end up with a good room mate but I would say this was the only benefit he had from the llc. He said there were no organized activities. Possible he just did t seek them out, I don’t know. He did not get to know many in the dorm and it took him a while to find his “people”. Downside of honors engineering llc could be a lot of more introverted students.

@Brambler In Engineering, they form a pretty good support group within their classes. There are group mes, study groups, project groups, etc. where the student will have a connection to someone in engineering. You have to put yourself out there a bit, but yes, there are groups to be made in class. In the LLCs, you will of course find easy access to other Eng. students to help with last minute homework, projects, etc. But I wouldn’t say it’s the end all to making sure you are in touch with your major.

TAMU is big, yes, but it’s really small when you join groups either through a club, class, greek org, women’s org, men’s org, etc. The first semester is ALWAYS a transitional period where many students feel lost. Discuss this before the year starts so it doesn’t surprise them and it may help to know they aren’t alone. Second semester is so much better and then sophomore year, you’ll never hear from the until they run out of money. It all works out, ya just have to flow with it and be there for your kiddo when they need you.

Thanks so much!

Hello, still figuring all of this out, but my son now has 6 tabs, and his major changed to General Engineering, says College Station, and he has an ID# (still says under review). I guess he is in? Can he go straight in and sign up for housing now? Does the Engineering LLP, Mosher Hall, fill up quickly? Does he need to officially accept somewhere? He is 100% positive that he wants to go to TAMU Engineering. Thanks!

@2020utlook Congrats! Sounds like he’s definitely in. Yes he should be able to do Phase 1 of housing and get the deposit down. This will secure his spot in line to get a good time slot for selecting a dorm/room in April/May. Phase 2 will open up in a couple of weeks… or sooner maybe, and that’s where you’ll select LLC preference and dorm preferences/roommate finder, etc. Unless it’s different this year. But he needs to get the deposit in quickly so that it’s time stamped.

No formal acceptance to TAMU. Once you sign up for the New Student Conference (which he should be able to do now), that’s kind of saying… YEP… I’m coming to Aggieland! Congrats again and Whoop!

Thank you! We are very excited. Do you recommend the Engineering LLC, and/or know anything about Mosher Hall? Also, he still says ‘under review’, can he register for NSC, and where does he do that, in HOWDY?

Yes in Howdy. Should be a link under My Record tab (I’m recalling from memory so someone correct me if I’m wrong). Mosher is in the Commons. Cool vibe, suite mates for the bathroom. Rooms are small, but liveable. Newly remodeled for dining, study lounges and such. As for LLC, it’s not a make or break kind of thing. Might be good to be surrounded by like minded students OR to be with random majors to get a break from it all.

Thank you very much! Would love anyone else’s input on the Engineering LLC, the Commons or in general on dorm suggestions for a Freshman Male in Engineering.

My son was accepted yesterday! He hopes to join the Corps of Cadets. I know they are housed in a particular dorm area together. Can anyone tell me how that works with housing sign up?

If you are in the corps, then you will be housed with your unit. I would still complete housing contract Phase 1 now though. It may have on there if you are interested in joining corps. If not in Phase 1 then for sure in Phase 2…

One of the first questions in Phase 1 asks if you are interested in joining the corps.

Can someone please help me understand what’s going on? Here is how my son’s file has progressed…

1. AIS changed to Engineering Review.
  2. All six tabs visible
  3. Admit letter added to AIS along with housing active for sign up but still Engineering Review in AIS
  4. WHOOP! You have been ADMITTED shows up in howdy with three buttons: Accept, Change, Decline. But Major: UNEN Program: BAC-UNEN
    What does this mean? Does it mean he’s accepted to Engineering or he’s still under Engineering Review as shown in AIS? I read that if that’s the case it would show General Engineering under Major. But why would it have those three options?
    I will call them in the morning to find out what’s going on but hopefully someone here knows what’s going on. I can’t go to sleep now :smile:
    Thanks.

@icedmachiato does the acceptance letter in AIS say that your son was accepted into the college of engineering under the communications tab of AIS? If so then he is definitely in, and everything else just takes a bit of time to update.

This is the best advice I have seen on here. My son was accepted earlier this week, but we were going through the stress of waiting after the 6 tabs, and in review. We have since figured out he is in, and did Phase 1 housing and NSC registration, but we were still waiting on some sort of official letter. This letter, which you pointed out is under the communications tab of AIS is time stamped the same time we saw the 6 tabs. I never knew to look for this. Great advice for anyone still waiting.

Thank you for the reply. The letter does not mention about accepted to engineering. It only states that he’s accepted to the school. I guess we’ll have to wait for another letter if he gets accepted to engineering.

When you sign up for a NSC, is there any way to change the date in the future?

@kime100
Yes you can change the NSC date later, but it will be subject to the dates/slots still available

Hello! I was officially accepted to A&M engineering and registering for my NSC… I have a question about the NSC and course registration… I took about 6 AP classes this year including AP chem and Ap Calc BC… I am wondering if it would be more beneficial to register NSC date after all of the AP scores are released… I heard from one of the A&M staff that it is okay to register early in June even though I don’t get my this year’s AP scores yet since I can add/drop during the first week of school… But I am concerned :frowning: They also said that the only disadvantage for going later is that I won’t get to receive the time I want for the courses and freshman level classes do fill up… Can anybody give me any advice plz??? Thx

@amaggie24 First… Congrats and welcome to the big 'ole Aggie family. Second, freshman classes will not fill up. The NSCs are geared so that everyone gets a chance to get the classes they need. Tamu will continue to open up new sections of the class throughout the summer.

What AP classes are you thinking of using for credit? You have until senior year to accept them, so there’s no rush. And advisor is right, many sections become available in late August through the first week of classes. If you were my kiddo, I’d say register for NSC that fits your availability. Have classes/sections/times ready to go for registering. Familiarize yourself with the howdy system for registration (it’s new this year for everyone but easy to navigate). Have back up and more back up classes ready. More than likely your Eng. advisor will have a base schedule for most of you. Good luck! AND don’t stress about this part. I promise it all works out.