Tamu BYOD 2016-2017

I am planning to buy Dell Precision 5510 with the following specs:

Memory 8GB (2x4GB) 2133MHz DDR4 Non-ECC 8GB

Primary Storage 500GB 2.5 inch SATA 7200 rpm Hard Drive 500AQUC

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-6820HQ (Quad Core 2.70GHz, 3.60GHz Turbo, 8MB 45W, w/Intel HD Graphics 530) I76820

LCD 15.6" UltraSharp™ FHD IPS (1920x1080) Wide View Anti-Glare LED-backlit with Camera and Microphone LCDNT2

Video Card Nvidia® Quadro® M1000M w/2GB GDDR5 M1000M

Do I HAVE TO upgrade or customize anything???

No, that will run all the required software for engineering as-is.

My DD just got her Lenovo the other day. Our only question with it is it does not have an optical drive and the school sells you Office for ten bucks but sends you a disk. Required software seems to be downloads.

@aggiedadtimes2 you can buy an external optical drive for about 10 dollars at Walmart, it just plugs into the usb and your good to go, most computers don’t come with optical drives anymore

Yes, we were deciding whether to spend the $20 for an external drive that would be used maybe once a year.

http://financialaid.tamu.edu/Forms/1617RequestChangeCostofAttendance.aspx

I thought you might find this helpful. I used the laptop purchase and they increased one of my scholarships by $1,000 to make up for it (:
You just send them your receipt or your shopping cart if you’re planning to purchase!

@keal56 How exactly does that work? If you buy a laptop from their listed ones, does that mean they change your financial aid? The only scholarship I got was the regents but I don’t think that would get changed…

@BloodShotProZ AYYYEE! I’m a regents scholar too! Message me and I’ll show you the email and how I requested it. (: