TAMU Class of 2021 - Engineering Admission Decisions

Got admitted to Blinn Engineering Academy today. I submitted the application on November 8th. I’m at the 39th percentile at a public high school. I did receive the deferral email in December. 3.35 UW GPA and 1370 SAT. A & M was one of my top choices so I’m pretty happy. Good luck to everyone who hasn’t heard back yet!

Hi- what could be the case is there were options on the application to check off where you would be interested in going. Galveston was an option, as was Blinn Bryan. Maybe some only picked Blinn Bryan, and if some also said Galveston, they may have opted to send your son there. I wonder if you called if they would consider a change.

My son was admitted to Blinn Engineering Academy today 1/20/17. He applied August 7, top 12%, SAT 1280, GPA 4.9 weighted, 3.8 unweighted.

My daughter got accepted at the Engineering academy at Blinn Bryan.Her choice of major is Computer Science. She also got accepted at Texas Tech. Since we have been living outside USA for the past 12 years we do not have a lot of knowledge about these colleges to make an informed choice. Which one would be better TEAB or Texas Tech?

We got the deferred to mid-Jan letter but it’s Jan 21 and haven’t heard anything? He is top 9% of class, great GPA, great letters and extra curricular but 1180 on SAT. Do you think he was rejected?

@hopecar —have you checked the portal? Sometimes there is a portal change but no email notification.

Hope should stay strong, but be prepared for Blinn team maybe?

Thank you @Thelma2 After reading more about it, it does look good. It is full admission to engineering with the same options/chance for picking an engineering specialty after freshman year. It is not a transfer in…will be with all other engineering majors.

@Lemet12 The options were full admission to TAMU engineering but first year at Galveston or to pick another open major at College Station.

@Lemet12 We also did call/email admissions and Galveston is full admission to TAMU engineering, wheras Blinn is a conditional admission. To me, Blinn is awesome because the students are on the College Station campus. But Galveston is a great thing, actually, now that we know more about it.

@dptxag - wow, I really like the sounds of the Galveston option - it is nice not to have the worry of not being able to transfer in to the main campus. The stress of having to have a 3.5 at Blinn-Bryan is one of the reasons I don’t like that option, especially since my son could be fully settled and a bit more relaxed as a freshman at another college that he has full admission to. If it is only one year in Galveston, that sounds doable. It is a bummer he can’t be with his brother, though, although it sounds like they will have the 3 years together on the main campus, so that is a good thing.

Does the acceptance letter actually tells you what campus you are accepted to? My son’s letter only says “welcome to Texas A&M”, so I assumed this is the main campus at College Station. Am I wrong? I am not aware that there are other campuses for freshmen engineering.

We got the acceptance letter Thursday and we all celebrated. Then we got a letter Friday that he had two options, Galveston Engineering or pick another major at College Station. Bummer! Good luck, If you’ve had the letter for a while I bet your son is in at CS.

@Lemet12 From the Blinn Engr. Academy FAQ page, it appears that a 2.5 is all that is needed to apply to major. The 3.5 is that you automatically are accepted to the major you apply for, therefore, no review process.

From the FAQ Page:
Can I apply for full admission to the Texas A&M College of Engineering prior to completing the Engineering Academy at Blinn?
Yes, the primary pathway to a degree-granting major in the College of Engineering is the entry-to-a-major process. Engineering students in the Engineering Academy program may apply to a degree-granting major upon meeting the following two eligibility requirements:

1. Must be in good academic standing in the Engineering Academy program, which implies a CGPA of at least 2.5 at each institution, and
  2. Complete at least two math, two science and two engineering courses. Detailed information can be found on the Engineering Academy Entry-to-a-Major website at https://engineering.tamu.edu/academics/advisors-procedures/entry-to-a-major/engineering-academy-program.

FAQ Page: https://www.blinn.edu/teab/faq.html#q8

It is our pleasure to inform you of your acceptance to the College of Engineering. Your major has been changed and is viewable on the Applicant Information System (AIS), howdy.tamu.edu (Applicant tab).

As a friendly reminder, all incoming students must register for and attend a New Student Conference. You may now register for your conference on AIS. Registration must be completed by May 1, 2017 to secure your admission to Texas A&M.

Freshman applicants selected for admission to the College of Engineering are admitted to Engineering (ENGE) with a preference for the major noted on the application. Admitted students are advised by the College of Engineering and follow the first year engineering curriculum. Admitted students have the freedom to learn about the different engineering majors to better equip them to make informed decisions concerning which engineering discipline is the best fit for their career goals. Students apply to their majors of choice after completing the specific coursework. The entry-to-a-major process is designed for students to take ownership of their future to identify at least three majors that are a good match for their career goals and academic performance.

If you have other questions or concerns, please contact an admissions advisor at one of our Prospective Student Centers, admissions.tamu.edu/psc. Please DO NOT respond directly to this email as this account is not monitored for incoming email.

I got this email a few days back.
Does this mean I have been admitted to the college of engineering at College Station itself?

It says General Engineering ( Mechanical ) on my AIS portal. And under college it says: Engineering. Is this College Station?

Go to your Howdy portal, click on the “Applicant” tab, and go to “Manage Applications”. Above “Whoop you have been admitted” or whatever, you should see which college you’ve been accepted to. @k_03

Just wanted to post my stats for worried folks out there who don’t think they will get in. Both my parents and I did not think that I would get into the college of engineering, and were surprised when I did. It is my belief that the college of engineering considers many other aspects then just sat/act scores and class rank.

When did you apply: 10/20 (referred 12/14)
When did you receive your admission descion: 1/18/17
Admit type: Review admit
Major/college of choice: Mechanical engineering/ EN
Did you get in to a&m: yes
Did you get into a&m college of engineering: yes
Class Rank: 15%
SAT: 1830 (old)
Courses taken: AP Physics 1&2, computer science, Chemistry preAP, pre-CAL, and four years of engineering courses offered at school
Extra information: STEM club officer, participated in TSA and placed at TSA national competition, female,NHS, NSHS, and participated in varsity level sport.

Major concerns are, because it is such a large college, do they spend the 1st year trying to weed people out? and do they have opportunities to help students who are struggling? I am also worried about the percentage of engineering students that drop out. Comment below if anybody has answers or advice. And good luck to those still waiting a descion, I hope this helps you out!:slight_smile:

@rockets855 Congratulations on getting into engineering! As far as weeding people out, unfortunately, they do try to make the first 1 courses more difficult than they need be, because they want people who are going to take engineering serious. Although the courses do tend to be on the more difficult side, they do offer MANY resources that allow you to get additional help. There are about 3 different services I believe that can offer free tutoring for engineering, and they spread out all over campus.

@nyanpasu_ Thanks, I checked it on the howdy portal, it is college station :slight_smile:

Congratulations, @k_03!
@rockets855 Develop good study habits. Many a very smart kid that gets into engineering didn’t have a hard time making good grades in HS or on the SAT and therefore, do not have the study habits going into college. It is a whole lot different. In fact, I know of, and have heard of a whole lot more, of students who were cruising through the first semester of Calculus 151 with an A or B all the way to Thanksgiving weekend. Then, upon returning, failed the last semester exam and the final because it was just that much more difficult. The thing was, many didn’t walk out of either thinking they had done poorly. There was 10-14 days between the last semester exam and the final and many didn’t get the last semester exam test score back until right up until the final and didn’t have an opportunity to find the prof in on office hours to find out what they missed. Lots of kids retaking Math 151 this spring.

Don’t take any class for granted, even if you are doing well. Don’t skip any class. There are SI’s (Supplimental Instruction) Go to these. There are several tutoring places. A+ tutoring is one and the one I am familiar with. The sell tickets to individual sessions but if a session is sold out, you can’t get a ticket. The only way to guarantee you a spot is to purchase a pass. A+ is for tests only and begins tutoring two weeks out from each test. Passes are not cheap, around $150-$170 each, depending on class. A+ sometimes sells out of passes to certain classes after the first semester test. I have head a lot of people who liked A+ and others who didn’t get a lot out of it. Doing their practice, the next day after a session, I have heard helps. Their tutoring times are from like, 8p-10p or 10p-12a.

The engineering Living Learning Community in Mosher also has tutoring. You do not have to live in Mosher to use it and it is free.

Professor office hours are good too. I am sure others will chime in with other suggestions.