TAMU Class of 2021 - Engineering Admission Decisions

@rvhappynow I completed my EH application just now. I called the EH office and enquired about the space available, and they told me that they are accepting admissions now, and there is a lot of time until 4 weeks before NSC.

Are all engineering major put into general engineering in their freshman year?

@Zepodes Congrats for getting it completed, and good luck on getting in!! Yes, all freshmen in engineering start out in general. In talking with current students at TAMU, they said that you start taking a few more major specific classes your sophomore year, but for sure by junior year is when you are much more immersed in your major.

@rvhappynow Thanks!

Hi Everyone,
Any updates on engineering department scholarships?

Howdy, does anyone know if A&M has a class of 2021 groupme??

@ehsstudent17 You might have more luck asking on the 2021 facebook page. You may have to look back a ways, as they likely began back in Nov and the info may be back there

Any update on scholarships?, April has arrived

@Zepodes Good morning! The last we heard from Engineering was last week, and they said again that it would be another couple of weeks. Hopefully everyone will hear something soon!

@rvhappynow Morning!!, Thanks a lot for the update. Hope they send it soon, gotta make a decision.

Incoming (and existing) engineering students: Want to get DS a new laptop for graduation. The recommended devices are here: https://engineering.tamu.edu/easa/areas/academics/byod/devices/2016-2017 - the Dell link doesn’t seem to work. Wondering if any powerful Dell Windows laptop will be sufficient?

The Dell link just worked for me. You may want to try it again. We have been doing a lot of research on this subject as well and from what I understand you don’t HAVE to purchase one of the recommended systems although for business class workstations the prices are pretty good. Yes, you can get a similarly spec’ed consumer laptop for a little less but it appears that the ones purchased through the partnership with A&M have a longer included warranty. Right now I’m leaning toward the Dell from the link above with the following additions:

-Upgrade the RAM from 8GB to 16GB
-Upgrade the 500GB SATA Physical Drive to 512GB SSD
-Upgrade the 3-cell battery to the 6-cell battery

The main differences you will see with the recommended systems and consumer grade systems is the video card. The recommended systems will have a Video Card that is certified to run with programs like Solid Works and AutoCad and will have drivers and updates that are certified to work with these types of programs. The consumer grade (aka gaming) video cards may run the programs fine but stability issues can become a concern due to the drivers for the cards which are not certified for the programs they may be running when they get into their higher level classes. The drivers for consumer cards are tuned for peak performance mostly for gaming.

With all this said they will probably be fine with a system with similar specs purchased from Costco or other retailer and I’m sure current students can chime in with their experiences.

@TxSker - it took me to Dell, but not that specific model. It worked for you? I don’t care about the cost - I want to make sure he has exactly what he needs, jacked up as much as possible (I’m a Mac girl, couldn’t live without 16GB ram!).

@txsker - I’m such a dope, I didn’t click on the additional link to that model. Thank you!