TAMU Class of 2021 - Engineering Admission Decisions

@TxSker - Congratulations, your son must be excited with his first choice acceptance!!!

@ACT2017 He will be!! It’s Thanksgiving break and he is still asleep so doesn’t know yet. :))

My Son got accepted to General Engineering (Computer Science). In State, Top 8% with 32 ACT. Congratulations to all other acceptances!!

I saw my admission to COE this morning and ran downstairs to tell my mom. I went to TAMU for National Scholars Day on Friday and I completely fell in love with the program and the school. Now, I’m just waiting on Engineering Honors admission. I’m fairly certain I will end up being an Aggie, but I’m still waiting on UT Austin’s decision. Good luck to everyone! And congratulations!

DS2 has received his COE (ME) acceptance today as well.

Son’s status on AIS just changed to “General Engineering (Aerospace)” and from UN to “EN” under College. Called the local student center to confirm that he was indeed accepted into the TAMU COE. AE was his first choice.

I am curious though about how long are folks seeing it take between the status change in AIS and then receiving the email/letter with written official acceptance. For stats, my son’s are the following:

When did you apply: 8/23
When did you get your UIN: 8/26
When did you receive your admission decision: 9/20 (Under Engineering Review)
Auto-admit? Academic Admit? Review Admit: Academic Admit
Major/College of Choice: COE (1st choice AE; second choice ME)
Did you get in: 9/20 Admitted to University 11/21 Admitted to COE (no letter yet; AIS status changed)
Honors program: Maybe
Class Rank: Top 15%
ACT: 32
SAT: 1480 (New SAT)

@Curi411 did they say that it means your child was accepted into engineering?

@2017seniormom Yes, when I called the local office, after I described to her what I seeing and they went and checked, they confirmed he was in. I also checked in the Howdy site (https://howdy.tamu.edu/uPortal/f/my-applicant/normal/render.uP) under Applicant, Manage Applications. Click on “Manage Applications” and I see “Application Status: WHOOP! You have been ADMITTED Level : Undergraduate Major: ENGE Program: BAC-ENGE-AE.” Now I am just waiting for an email or letter. My son does not know as he is at a church event.

@Curi411 Our HOWDY says: Texas A&M University - College Station Fall 2017
Application Status: Under Review Level : Undergraduate Major: ENGE Program: BAC-ENGE-CS

AIS says: Freshman 2017 Fall General Engineering
(Computer Science) EN BAC

He wasn’t an auto admit so maybe they they have to send his info through the regular admissions office first? It changed this am to all of this. Have I mentioned how much we hate this whole college process?

@finsup His stats aren’t awesome like the rest here. We had grades that transferred over weird his freshman year from us living overseas through 8th grade that went towards his HS GPA. Rank: 85/515 ACT: 29 Math & science 26 reading Has taken and passed AP CS, AP Physics 1, currently taking AP Calc, AP Physics C 18 hours dual credit and several Independent Study Computer Science classes.

@2017seniormom The AIS should say it across the top that he has been admitted but maybe it’s not updated yet. Go see if he has a letter in AIS. I will try to recall from memory how to find it, but in AIS, go to “My documents”, then click the tab for “my letters”, and the acceptance letter will be there when he’s accepted.

@Thelma2 Nope no letter. Guess he is just still in review. But at least something changed, so that is progress. Thanks for your help!

I got into Petroleum Engineering…My first choice…Hurrayyyyyy

@Thelma2 I wonder if there is a delay in the letters being delivered (via email). As my post #85 says, it seems my son has been admitted, but there is no letter yet in AIS to that point.

When my son was admitted (Class of 2019), his letter in AIS was a bit delayed, so don’t fret if you don’t see one yet. Also, @Ven1999, students are accepted into General Engineering and they apply to their major at the end of freshman year (provided all requirements are met). AIS will show their major preference, although after a year, many apply to a different discipline of engineering altogether (as my son did). Congrats on being admitted to the College of Engineering, however.

@lee6666 Thank you!

@2017seniormom I read on another thread that sometimes Howdy will update before AIS. It looks positive for your son that his Howdy has changed. My son also is a review applicant, and his stats are similar to your son’s. We have not heard anything yet. I was particularly interested in your son as I have not seen many other review candidates post here. Thank you for sharing and good luck!

@finsup What is your son’s major? Good luck to him as well!

@Thelma2, @2017seniormom, A&M currently has a 55% retention rate in engineering. Many drop out the first year, in part, due to what you have cited. I have seen the College making some small adjustments, however, like exam retakes in Math 151 – this is new this year as too many students were failing. While they are trying to improve retention and expand the engineering program overall, I am still concerned they do not have the capacity. My son (a sophomore, but classified as a junior this next semester) registered for Spring 2017 classes today and could not even get a spot in one of his required courses. The same thing happened for Fall 2016.

@2017seniormom His first choice is Aerospace and second choice is Mechanical.