TAMU Class of 2024 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

@AggieMomhelp I’m starting to worry because my boyfriend is currently a freshman at TAMU in CS and he had a friend last year that signed up for housing too late and he couldn’t get a dorm. My parents will definitely make me go to my backup school if I can’t live in a dorm on campus because they want to make sure I’ve got an RA and have protection like the key cards. Hopefully I get a decision too so I can start my contract!

I just realized I never posted my daughter’s stats.

In-state
Applied: September 2019
2nd quarter - 28% in a class of 662
SAT 1360 - Math 670 Reading/Writing 690
GPA 3.85 unweighted
6 AP classes
Major - Genetics

She was offered PSA on February 4th. She doesn’t want to go this route and is now deciding between Michigan State and University of Colorado.

Also, does anyone know if I’m in the Blinn TEAM program, will I be taking classes at Blinn-Bryan or Rellis?

We met with an advisor on campus Monday. She is doubtful that any applicants will be pulled off the waitlist for full admit. According to the advisor, TAMU brought back the waitlist in anticipation of an economic recession (exactly her words). They anticipate lower enrollment over the next 5 years. Personally, I didn’t believe a word of it. Fall of 2019 had 49 k applicants, accepted 10.5k with 92% automatic admits. They do not have the stats for Fall 2020 applicants.

She also said Blinnteam is full.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. We left CS very frustrated.

why even make a waitlist if team is full? that doesnt make much sense to me- they couldve said something like, if people dont enroll or take up team spots, people will be pulled from the waitlist. i find this bizarre imo.

Blinn Team or Blinn-Bryan Engineering Academy @Ohthewait?

Well idk why they would give us false hope by putting us on the waitlist if everything is full, esp Blinn Team. I really hope this isn’t the case. We need to move on one way or another! Hopefully us waitlisted people can hear back soon. Every advisor I have talked to told me they would start pulling off the list from mid Feb - April. If everything is full why don’t they just PSA us all already…

@Ohthewait The advisor at TAMU told you blinn team was full?

I emailed on campus housing just a few days ago and asked if housing was already full. He assured me that it was not full, and that last year they didn’t even get to waitlist status until after May sometime. He said for the last two years, everyone that applied for on campus housing got it.

I, too, was a bit concerned about housing if we find out in March or April whether or not our daughter gets in, but this gives me reassurance that it shouldn’t be a problem. He did say that you may not get your top choice, but you would get something. He also said that the least expensive and most expensive dorms are usually taken first.

@mooom Thx … I asked my son & he said oh yeah weeks ago - he got it and just stashed it in his room … LOL

@Colhopeful728 We got the financial aid package before we registered for NSC last week - so it is not dependent on it if that’s what you are thinking. Like @TexasMTDad said, make sure you select the correct 20/21 term since it default to 19/20 term. It threw me off the first several times when I got email to check.

We are also waiting for other OOS schools as well (highly unlikely) but decide to do early NSC so he can do registration before the classes filled up.

IF that happens, I promise you most off campus residences are students only, key card accessible only, room locks on every door (not just the dorm room itself) and onsite staff to help. Maybe not necessarily an RA in terminology but something similar. Do the research just in case it’s worst case scenarios. Check the stacks, park west and the rise. All are right there across the street. Oh and Callaway house.

And if you sign up for housing within the first 30 days of acceptance then you are considered priority housing. Your boyfriends friends may have signed up after that period.

“Mamad863
When did you apply: October 2020
Class Rank: 8 of 76
SAT (with Sub Scores) 1450
ACT (with Sub Scores) 32
When did you receive your admission decision: November 2020
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit: Auto-admit
Major/College of Choice: Mechanical Engineering/Engineering”

General question for poster or anybody… I’m using the poster as an example… I just know what I don’t know.
When you apply for engineering I believe you are applying for general engineering, that said why would you name specific engineering fields or list engineering twice?

Is that to show your desire for engineering and nothing else?
Is it because it fits the way you want to write an essay?

Are prospective students completing for specific engineering majors and I just don’t know it?

If you list EE and get accepted that does or doesn’t mean anything when you apply after a year?

We are two years a way from applying.

Thanks.

@ItIsJustCollege I’ll attempt to answer some of your questions. Yes, when you are admitted to TAMU for engineering as a Freshman, it is for General Engineering, and then during the Spring semester you go through the ETAM (Entrance to a Major) process to apply for the specific engineering field you wish to study.

As for entering Engineering twice for 1st and 2nd major choices on the app, is most likely done because engineering is all that student wishes to study. My daughter put down 2 options for engineering as her major choices. When you apply for TAMU, it does ask you specifically on your app which type of engineering you’re applying for even though you get accepted into General Engineering. My DD’s essay had nothing to do with engineering.

When freshman apply for engineering at TAMU, they are basically only competing for an admission seat for engineering. They will later compete for specific fields of engineering in the ETAM process. I don’t believe that what you put on your app matters during the ETAM process. The first year at TAMU is made to give students a broader understanding of many fields of engineering so that the student can make an educated decision on what they wish to specialize in.

For everyone waiting for Engineering decisions there has been an update this evening in AIS, although my DS is still under review, the location updated tonight from College Station to Galveston.

No change for us but that could be because we selected Engineering Academy at Blinn, not Galveston. I’m assuming you choose Galveston??

Is blinn team full??

@AggieMomhelp “And if you sign up for housing within the first 30 days of acceptance then you are considered priority housing.”

I can’t find this anywhere on the TAMU site. Are you certain of this policy because that would be so great! We’ve been worried about housing if we were accepted to something during the last part of Spring.

@YankeeTexan33 if offered, this will be the first offer he received. He didn’t get the choice between the 3 Academies. Oddly the location changed
from College Station to Galveston while still under review. He applied in November and for location he chose that he would be willing to go to College Station or Galveston. I would expect some updates tomorrow if they changed the location this evening.

This is true. I remember reading it when my son was accepted three years ago. It was typed somewhere on the paperwork when he was accepted.

we don’t know, and admissions have been saying different things so there’s no telling