TAMU Class of 2024 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

No, this was our first communication at all that was in any way possibly related to his A&M application, no prior messaging about alternative options for us.

Thank you @trinley this is great information, I wasn’t aware this was an option I thought you had to receive a special offer for this. Will definitely check it out. Thanks!.

This is how it has been in the past. If it’s changed this year, that would be news to me. Now those that were accepted in September and applied and paid housing deposit before their 30 days were up, will probably get a better time slot than someone who does the same thing in February but you will still get a food time slot.

My son was December admit (hs class of 2018) and a good friend who was auto admit in sept had the exact day and time for selection.

@nomatter
Thank you very much for the much needed reminder and perspective. My son has worked really hard and accomplished so much and we are so proud and excited for everything he has and will do!

@AggieMomhelp Thank you!

So, only 551 people in 2018 were offered PSA
or denied /incomplete app! I wonder how many were PSA?

Anyone know how many Freshman seats are available for Fall 2020 Engineering Academy at Blinn-Bryan?

No. More than 6000 people were “denied” in 2018. But of that number about 5500 were incomplete application.

So those are not true denial decisions.

551 people who completed their applications were actually denied. So out of more than 41,000 applications only 551 were denied.

I think PSA was around 10,000 in 2018.

Edited to add the breakdown
41,760 total apps
26.7% - Top 10% 11,159
11.1% - Academic 4,646
9.9% - Review full 4,115
9.1% - Review Alternative 3,813

27.6% -PSA 11,518
15.6% - Denied 6,509

So, our change major buttons disappeared 2 days ago. Havent heard anything or seen anything yet??? Im disappointed to read that my son wouldnt get the banner - guess thats stupid though. :neutral:

How will we be notified since thest buttons have been gone for 2 days now?

How many freshman get offered Blinn Team? Is it around the same every year?

@BlueBayouAZ @AggieMomhelp Do either of you know if my son could request his admission file from last year? We are very curious as to why he was given PSA - it could be a lesson learned?

Oh that is an interesting question. I’ve seen YouTube videos of Ivy students that have done so. Seems like they saw how they were “graded” and the student was not allowed to take photos of the documents. Only notes. And it was an appointment date and time with like a 10 minute window with the documents.

@JaceyK Not @BlueBayouAZ or @AggieMomhelp But the answer is TAMU is not going to allow your student to see the admission file, and they can’t be legally compelled to allow it, because your student wasn’t admitted. A FERPA rule can be invoked for students who are admitted, to gain access to the file. Even having your student admitted at a later date won’t allow access to the admission file that resulted in PSA.

Another issue-- For admitted students who request to see admission files, the files will be heavily encoded. There will be very little that you can decipher, outside of the student application information (identifying information, demographics, essays, school information, etc
). You’d need a large sample of admission files, to detect any patterns in encoded data points/results, and those patterns may still not be applicable this admission cycle.

Finally, TAMU may follow in the footsteps of UT (recent action) and deny the request of any admitted student who requests the file. UT has recently denied students, and is awaiting a decision from the Texas Attorney General on whether or not they can do so.

So, not trying to discourage you, but it’s probably not going to be a value-added activity, and won’t be applicable (at all) to last year’s application.

@nomatter thanks for that tidbit. I guess yesterday, after reading the stats for denied/PSA students, it was a hard pill to swallow seeing my son as part of the MUCH smaller percentage vs the large percentage of admitted students. Yes, it’s been a year, but it will always be nagging us in the back of our minds as to what they held against him, kwim? I am now thinking it had nothing to do with his major being “full” - especially after seeing Blinn Team admits this year for that major. I can’t help but wonder if he missed the mark somehow - but now we will never know. FYI - I have one more kid to get through HS and the admissions process so that is also fueling our curiosity.

How does one invoke FERPA laws? I would also like to see the files on my daughter from UT, TAMU, and other colleges just to see what the notes are from the admissions counselor. If not notes, then the Academic Index Profile (AI) AI index or the Personal Achievement Index (PAI) to see what score they gave my daughter.

Does the students just write a letter to the school to request or is there a form that you would need to fill out?

This would be interesting for my daughter, as I am still scratching my head on UT’s and TAMU’s decision. However, it would be nice to know if it has anything to do with my daughter’s high school
as rumor has it that not many was accepted in full to UT last year and this year which is odd as there are roughly 1500 students in my DD’s senior class.

Any updates for those offered the three Engineering choices on 1/31? We are still waiting
 AIS still says, “You are beig considered for Enigineering Academy at Blinn” and HOwdy still 3 tabs, change of major, etc.

So my son got 6 tabs to College Station this morning(Engineering Major). Last night it showed under active applications that he was under review for Galveston, (On his application he indicated he would be interested in Galveston, College Station, and McAllen). This morning he got the 6 tabs and was admitted to College Station. For those accepted, how long did you have to wait to apply for the NSC?

I wondered what would travel with the student in a PSA case - but since the student is granted a new UIN, I pretty sure you are correct @nomatter. But I think a Blinn TEAM or Engineering academy decision would be different, since that is a co-enrollment.

The videos I have seen of the students (Not any Texas schools) reporting what they found in their files were all admitted/current students. And the files were “graded” but there was no key to help you understand what they were reading. And they were not allowed to photograph, only take notes.

@BlueBayouAZ They are not granted a new UIN - his UIN didn’t change with reapplication.

Before we get all excited over here these are the tabs that showed up this morning: Home, Applicant, My Record, My Finances, Student Life, My Howdy. Are these the infamous tabs that we are to look out for?