TAMU Class of 2024 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

@BluebayouAZ Waitlist is an answer though, wouldn’t you agree? I guess I read it to me that 95% of applicants have received some kind of communication.

That is what I was thinking. The clearly identified waitlist choices, in my opinion would be applications that have been decided upon, at least temporarily.

Though I would not consider odd undefined “engineering academy waitlist” in the same way.

With the real waitlist - you have people that have opted into a waitlist. And the whole deal with any waitlist is you are waiting. You have decided to not completely move on and wait.

The odd engineering academy trio of choices did not involve people agreeing to placement on a waitlist.

They agreed to consider off College
Station options. And I would hope they are part of the 5%.

I’m glad you got that worked out. Sorry if I added any confusion to your quest! :slight_smile:

My son was an early action engineering applicant. He received admission to TAMU-Galveston yesterday. This was the first communication received since he applied in August. Trying to gain info on Galveston since all freshmen have to live on campus.

My son was a 2018 admit to TAMU-Galveston. He made the mistake of not studying for the math placement exam during the new student conference the summer before starting and had to spend extra time in Galveston. However, he made many friends in that smaller environment and is making his way. His roommate ended up in CS at the beginning of his second year, and my son commuted there for games and for them to work on their cars. It was a good choice for him rather than pursue a lower-ranked engineering school. It has a completely different feel from TAMU-CS and is not cheaper, so it wasn’t a bargain at all. However, we promised him a better situation after his years in an old high school building (but one with a lot of AP offerings). There are ample rooms in the on-campus dorms, and a couple of them are quite new. I didn’t hear many complaints about the cafeteria. It worked out. He made friends who grew up in the Houston area (which is close) and made many visits to their houses. Let me know if I can help you. The Engineering at Galveston advisor (Budvitis) ended up being pretty helpful to my son. I advise you to go visit if you are considering it!

@CDCDCD I don’t have a student who’s attended the Galveston campus but we’ve visited that area many times. Galveston is a great little coastal town with many beaches (although they don’t have the terrific white sand as you’d get on the Florida gulf beaches), but they’re nice. There’s all types of festivals and lots of other activities to take part in as well. Galveston is about 2 1/2 hours away from CS I would estimate. It’s a bit of a drive but probably worth it for football games.

I believe that college success above all comes down to the willingness of the student to be hardworking and resourceful and the student’s overall maturity. The challenge of the school is also very important, however. My son had adequate challenge at TAMU-Galveston. His stat’s were net 29% class rank, Eagle scout, academic admit SAT scores, 12 AP or dual credit classes through multivariable calculus, both AP Physics C courses, engineering courses starting in middle school. He used his physics background. It saved him in both mechanics and electricity/magnetism at TAMUG when a lot of students did poorly. His chemistry background helped him through chemistry there, which a surprising number of students have trouble with. He used his AP Comp Sci as well. I would encourage students to NOT bypass calculus courses unless they are extremely confident. If they are not truly prepared, then it will catch up with them in the first math class they take. My son’s weakness has been math. I want to say pretty clearly that the math professors he has had at TAMUG will not hesitate to fail students, and a D is failing for the entry into a major process. I would say that is likely true of the other science and technical course profs there as well, and for my part, this kind of wake up call is what a lot of students need to make it through the rest of their engineering coursework.

So, I emailed admissions at TAMU today asking a few questions and in regards to waitlist/Blinn team options, the response was “decisions should be made by mid April.” ?

@Martisha yeah they said that to me too, I guess there concrete answer for everything.

I have been watching the posts from the outside but can’t stand it anymore. My son was 18%, 1260, varsity sports, advanced math & science, many engineering camps, etc. Got 1/31 notice about TEAB and was happy with that…chose that option and haven’t heard anything since. With 2 Aggie parents, there isn’t a plan B!!! Question is…what would a Plan B look like at this time? Not sure what other options they may throw if not TEAB? He had a friend that got selected to TEAB today and he was crushed because we haven’t heard a peep! :frowning:

You could always apply to Galveston directly under engineering. Right? Or under a different major but take care of business and apply to change major. Or go to an academy school like blinn Brenham (there are more) and do the ETaM route with everyone else.

??‍♀️

Also following from afar. Same situation. 27% (large competitive high school - this might be what is holding my son in review), 1400, EC’s, advanced classes, 1/31 choice of 3 Engineering pathways. Chose Academy at Blinn-Bryan. Still in review, still have change major button, 2 Aggie parents. Our plan B is UTD for computer science. And I must say, UTD has been on point with communication.

1260 isn’t a super high score for engineering. Not that it can’t happen but your child should have a plan B. Look around at application deadlines and find a plan B! It will be helpful for you to know you have an alternate way of reaching his goals if needed.

I lost my change major button this afternoon :frowning:

Hi CDCD

My son got admission into TAMUG as well. He got the notice two days ago. We need to connect as we do not have any idea about TAMUG, how is the campus, is the transfer to CS guaranteed irrespective of GPA or not? what’s ATEM process and so on. Any help or assistance would be great.
Looking forward to your reply.

Literally the exact situation - we are in Cypress, son got 1260 on SAT. Top 14%, leadership positions at school and has worked since he could drive.

-Applied July 1, 2019 to Engineering
-1/31/20 - received 3 choices and chose Engineering Academy
-Radio silence since then.

I finally called the admissions office a couple days ago, they said we’d know mid-April but hoping for something before then.

Good Luck to everyone!

Lost “change major” button in Howdy yesterday…and now lost it within AIS.
All is good. It allows us to start moving forward with PTA or Straight Transfer. We live very close to TAMU, so Blinn it is !

Not completely sure what my daughter’s thoughts are on PTA vs. Straight Transfer, but her major would be BA-Communication and one of the biggest differences I see is the foreign language requirements.

For PTA, I believe you have to start with SPAN 201 and 202 (intermediate) while Straight Transfer allows for 101 and 102 (Beginning)
That might be the deal breaker for PTA !!! haha

Quick Question, can anyone tell me if Dual Credit Classes in High School/Blinn meet the requirements for PTA (i.e. ENGL 1302) I wasn’t for sure if her making an A or B in that class right now would even matter, or if she would need to take it again as part of the PTA program.

Under the PTA degree plan for poli sci there is this note:  Maintain a minimum 3.2 cumulative GPA (including graded, transferable credit earned in high school)

So…I would think Dual Credit does count, but you still have to do another 30 hours.

HAPPY VALENTINE’S DAY TO EVERYONE!! :smiley:

Back in 2016, my daughter received her offer of Blinn-TEAM for Fall 2017 on Valentine’s Day. She was a bit disappointed at first, but quickly rebounded and accepted the offer within a couple of days.

Her stats: she wanted to be an English Major, HS rank 53%, SAT 1250 (Eng 670 Math 580) ACT 27, uwgpa 3.5, weighed gpa 4.75 ish, 6 hours dual credit, no AP hours, 4 years of an EC with no leadership, an extra off campus competition team for Senior year, no volunteering (as she had NO extra time). She had been a Duke TIPS student in 7th grade but had a severe concussion at school in early 8th grade which affected her in several ways: she had to be dropped out of Algebra 1 in 8th grade so she was a year “behind” on the Math track, and the recovery process affected her Freshman and Sophomore years, lowering her gpa and class rank.

Blinn-TEAM turned out to be the best fit for her. She finished 2 years on Blinn-TEAM and is now an Aggie Junior English Major and earned a 4.0 last semester! :smile: She should be ordering her Aggie ring in the Summer and is projected to graduate on time in May 2021. We are SO PROUD of HER!!

I thought that the review process was difficult when she was going through it, but each year it seems to be getting harder and harder. People with much higher stats than she had are now getting PSA offers. There are just so many highly qualified students in the state of TX. I have been wondering what the process will be like in 20+ years when my future grandchildren are applying to college. It is looking like they will need Plans B through Z to get into TAMU. :neutral:

But things have a way of working out. It isn’t where you start out but where you finish that is important. Always have a Plan B etc. to get to your final goal, and put in your best effort.

Hang in there! Good luck to everyone who is still waiting for an offer. My fingers and toes are crossed for you! :smile:

Need answers to few questions. Would appreciate it if someone can respond to these questions:
As mentioned earlier in my post, my son (engineering major) got into TAMUG, I want ask
1- is it easy to move to CS with your first choice of major
2- how early can the student be able to transfer CS
3- is there any minimum GPA requirements
4- what if the student is unable to maintain the GPA