TAMU Class of 2024 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

How long should it take for them to act on a complete, non-engineering, academic-admit application?

@franknd In the past cycles, once the first decisions were released around Sept 19/20ish, it could take a few days to a couple of weeks.

With the new SRAR, it is a waiting game for all of us to see how this year will play out.

Thank you.

"I just donā€™t see what TAMU gains by having an 85% admission rate to engineering "

A&M is trying to reach their 25k goal of enrolled engineering studentsā€¦ a pretty reckless goal.

Engineering Enrollment 2018:

1. Texas A&M University 13,691
  2. Arizona State University 13,582
  3. University of Central Florida 10,181
  4. Purdue University 9,376
  5. Georgia Institute of Technology 9,116
  6. Univ. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign 8,962
  7. The Pennsylvania State University 8,303
  8. The Ohio State University 8,078
  9. Virginia Polytech. Institute and State U.7,904
  10. Oregon State University 7,826

Engineering Degrees Awarded 2018:

1. Univ. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign 2,375
  2. Georgia Institute of Technology 2,091
  3. Texas A&M University 2,084
  4. The Pennsylvania State University 2,053
  5. Arizona State University 2,002
  6. Purdue University 1,771
  7. Virginia Polytech. Institute and State U.1,666
  8. University of Michigan 1,662
  9. University of California, San Diego 1,653
  10. The Ohio State University 1,576

So A&M enrolls 4k more than GT and Illinois but produces fewer engineers than either. A&M is on a quest of quantity not quality. What happens to the 5k that donā€™t make it? They arenā€™t doing them any favors by admitting them in the first place.

Sourceā€¦
http://www.asee.org/documents/papers-and-publications/publications/college-profiles/2018-Engineering-by-Numbers-Engineering-Statistics-UPDATED-15-July-2019.pdf

For those who have questions about engineering admission, here is the reply my son got when he asked the school:

ā€œCongratulations on your acceptance to Texas A&M University! When you receive your admittance letter package in the mail it will include more detailed information about the Engineering Review process. If you are not accepted into Engineering, your major will be changed to your second choice major. If both your first and second choice majors are in the College of Engineering, your major will be temporarily changed to a general university studies major, and you will receive instructions on how to choose a new major.ā€

What is SRAR? Thanks!

Will an acceptance packet be mailed while still in review or do they wait and send after they make their decision?

@Greymeer, I have heard that it is almost expected that you will do a 5-year plan at TAMU engineering coming out with a masters. Perhaps they are splitting enrollment over 5 years vs. 4 years for other schools?

Self Reported Academic Record It basically takes the place of a high school transcript.

They wait until after they make their decision. The acceptance letters can be a little slow going out. At least they have in years past.

She got in!

I guess I should have copied and pasted the earlier infoā€¦she got her yes on 9/19.

When did you apply: 8/12
Class Rank: 16/182
SAT (with Sub Scores) 1310 (650 reading) (660 math)
ACT (with Sub Scores) 31 (28 English) (33 math) (33 reading)
When did you receive your admission decision: 9/19
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit: Academic
Major/College of Choice: Applied Math

Any other former students on here feel like they might need therapy waiting on decisions? I know I canā€™t be alone. There are so many good kids wanting to attend.
Applied - application submitted middle to end of July
Review admit - HS school is non-ranking and ACT score of 27
Major - Animal Science (pre-vet)
Son wants to also be in Corps of Cadets and audition for the Fightinā€™ Texas Aggie Band
Black Belt in Karate
Eagle Scout
Drum Major
Order of the Arrow (Boy Scout Honor Society)
Order of the Arrow Chapter Vice Chief
He has done the Aggie Eagle Program and also participated in the A&M Veterinary Enrichment Program this past summer
Numerous other activities, leadership rolls, and lots Community Service
We are saying our prayers! Gig 'em Aggies and best of luck to all the kiddos waiting to hear on their acceptance!!!

@Lrbrooks Hi! Class of '94 here. My D was accepted last week so now we wait to hear from her other choices because for some reason TAMU isnā€™t her first choice. Hubs is a Longhorn and that has rubbed off on her, unfortunately. I just have to keep my mouth shut and smile (and shop for a good therapist!), but I sure think sheā€™d be happy in Aggieland! Best of luck to your son! Sounds like heā€™d be a great addition to the Aggie family.

@AggieMomhelp Well, he did it. We just got my sons ACT scores back and he raised his comp score to 30 (with math/english-30, reading-32, science-28). He had ACT send his scores directly to A&M. He was already in the top 25% when he applied. Hoping this will bump him up to Academic Admit now. But how long does that typically take?? Thanks for all your help to this point.

OMG @fishfamx4 Congrats to him and you!!! That is just outstanding. As soon as they get the scores, they will update his application. That should generate an acceptance. It will probably take a couple of weeks though for it all to unfold. Keep watching his AIS for the updated ACT score. Then youā€™ll get a pretty good idea on how soon after heā€™ll get his 6 tabs. So excited for you guys. Welcome to Aggieland.

@AggieMomhelp Thank you!! Fingers crossed it happens soon, then itā€™s the long wait for engineering review. Ugh.

When will students hear if theyā€™re not part of auto or academic admit? Weā€™ve been complete in the system since early July! My daughter was in the 11th percentile, but didnā€™t have high enough test scores to make academic admit . Ugh! Iā€™m gonna need her to major in psychology because her mom is about to go crazy over all this waiting. HA!

@YankeeTexan33 I feel your pain girl. Hang in there because honestly it could be a long wait. 11% is pretty close to auto so she could hear back in the first round of holistic reviews but even then it could be late November or December. What were her test scores and whatā€™s her intended major?

My daughter got her A&M acceptance packet in the mail today!!