TAMU Class of 2024 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

I guess part of the concern, at least for me, is that college students think that they are invincible and sometimes don’t recognize the risk of their behavior. @AggieMomhelp

What can we do as parents and what can the university do to help these young adults do things to protect themselves and others?

Back in 1986 there was a measles outbreak in Texas. I was in college at the time. I recall being in a science lab in East Texas when a group of boys at the lab table next to me talked about having spent the previous weekend in Lubbock partying with a group of Tech students under quarantine for measles. Stuff like “they don’t let quarantine stop them. Talk about a rad party. They sure don’t act sick”

Seriously. Quarantine means quarantine.

Sure enough - cases began cropping up at my school. Next thing I knew there was a list of hundreds of students hanging from the walls of the university center. If your name (actually I think is was you SS #) was on the list - you could not return to for the spring semester without proof of vaccination.

My name was on the list. I was vaccinated for measles around the time they switched the type of vaccine in the late 1960s- to a newer, more effective vaccine. My shot records did not show a lot number or maker - so I had to get revaccinated.

So can anyone tell me how @ many students are already at CSTAT? I assume tons of kids live there all year, right? Can anyone ballpark the influx of bodies that happens in August? This is going to be such a huge deal for the big public colleges in Tx, Az, Fl, as we are at the wrong end of the time stick at the moment. This is not a debate, but I don’t know enough about the day to day in the area.

Not sure how many people stay and work the summer without being in class - but looking at the dars data - preliminary enrollment numbers for Summer 2 are 20,954. Fall of 2019 was 64,300 . So it is about 1/3 of the fall enrollment (32.59% specifically). And being a crazy COVID year - I don’t know how many summer school students are in CC or at home out of the county. But I think 1/3 is a safe estimate.

Does anyone have tips on how to make your application stronger without an SAT score. Also how long does the Engineering essay supposed to be. @AggieMomhelp @BlueBayouAZ

Tamu likes to see students in leadership roles and growth within organizations/clubs/sports. Playing one year here and there looks flimsy.

Grades of course will be number one factor with class rank PLUS class rigor. For engineering they’ll want to see lots of science and math.

Any jobs that shows passion for intended degree will help as well.

These are weird times so just hang in there.

As far the engineering essay… I have no idea.

oops wrong year

@DEATHSLAMS

From an engineering department staff member on Aggie Parents of Engineering Students Facebook page:

“For the engineering short answer question I recommend drawing from personal experience if possible. Courses taken, clubs/organizations in which a student’s been involved, shadowing/internship/work experience related to engineering are all potential items to discuss. What’s leading the student down the engineering career path? What does the student bring to the table and what does he/she hope to get out of the experience at TAMU?”

In addition, the department member goes on to say:

" the Office of Admissions is making official SAT/ACT scores OPTIONAL for the fall 2021 application cycle.

The Office of Admissions has assured us that there will be NO advantage or disadvantage in submitting official test scores. However, I will still encourage every student I speak with to submit an official test score if possible."

What I find interesting in the wording is that there is no advantage or disadvantage in submitting official test scores. I tend to look at what people don’t say. No where is it said that there is no advantage or disadvantage to those who DON’T submit an official test score. While it is optional, meaning your application will not be thrown out as being incomplete, applying to a highly competitive university is going to be competitive. Those without scores won’t be as competitive as those with really good scores. Competitive applicants will likely have them.

From A&M Website:Does Texas A&M prefer that I provide test scores?
Texas A&M encourages you to send your test scores
if you have them. Test scores will only be used to benefit you in the admission process. You will not be penalized for low test scores or no test scores.

“What is the last date I can take the SAT or ACT and still have it considered as part of my admission
file? Due to recent SAT and ACT scheduling issues, we will accept December test scores as part of your
admission file. You should request scores to be sent to us at the time of testing. We must receive your
December test scores January 15 for consideration.”

https://admissions.tamu.edu/getattachment/freshman/apply/Test-optional-FAQ.pdf.aspx?lang=en-US

A&M offers an ACT that is taken in College Station. You would have to call for dates. http://testing.tamu.edu/Exams/ACT

If you are not an auto admit (top 10%), you likely will not receive an admission decision to the university nor engineering major before January. The admissions officer on the TexAgs forum has stated this. All auto admits must be placed first before review admits.
Deadline for supporting documents is December 15. Very little time to process all of the auto admits prior to January when there are only 16 days left in the year and many of those are during the winter break.

How is everybody doing? I hope all of you are well. Looks like kids are ready to start. My son is in CS in his dorm. His roommate and him getting along ok. Still looks like my son has 3FTF and 3 online classes. Even that can change anytime. What about your kids? Stayed home this semester or got to CS? All FTF classes have online option. What your kids decided to do?

@YankeeTexan33 @Thelma2 Where do you find the link for class of 2024 ETAM requirements ? All I see out there are class of 2022 & 2023. May be I missed it somehow … Thanks.

Good afternoon! My daughter is in Hullabaloo. Wifi is really bad. She can’t use Netflix on the TV and her Alexa only works when connected to her phone hot spot. I am worried she will have issues connecting or staying connected to her online classes. Have others found solutions? thank you!

@anxiousaggie73 that’s an excellent question. Hopefully the university has thought through this. It’ll be the same for all students and all dorms, I would imagine. My son is in off campus housing in an actual house and they have issues as well (over the summer). Maybe have her ask the RA. One thing is for certain… she’s not alone in this.

@anxiousaggie73 Does she have an ethernet cable to connect her laptop to the internet while in her room? I’ve heard this is better than relying on wifi while in the dorm.

Like @Eggscapgoats said, make sure she has an Ethernet adapter cable for her laptop. As the last resort, make sure she has setup a hotspot on her phone so she is readied to go if needed. This especially should be the backup option when they are taking exams and finals. Don’t take any chances !!

@anxiousaggie73 I can tell you that Alexa does not work in the dorms. We called the IT help desk and they told us it will not work through the wifi in the dorm.

Did you get into TAMU?