TAMU Class of 2024 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

Admissions wouldn’t be the one who admits you. The departments do.

The holistic review applicants are still awaiting their decisions, which is around the first week of July. It’s in another of my posts. I’ll have to look it up.

Transfers may wait until the students already there receive their decision.

You should consider that the 3.75 AA to ETAM is going to make more room for holistic ETAMs, not less. But COVID might mean that the bun fight for the 2025 spots could be complicated by kids taking gap year(s).
IMO though, it gives the depts the opportunity to be less transparent/more flexible LOL, depends on how Pollyanna you are. If 3.75 fills the majority of spots, kids need to look elsewhere IMO. That is onerous. ETAM data needs to be crystal clear. I am not sure that is the case for recent data?

FYI to incoming freshmen, my son just got his revised schedule. He’s a junior and registered for all face to face classes in April. His schedule has been revised to all online, not even a hybrid class…all online. Needless to say we are disappointed. But also wanted to let y’all know to check your schedules if you’ve already registered at NSC because they may have changed as well. My son’s roomies had theirs change as well but some were able to keep 1 class face to face traditional.

@AggieMomhelp I have also read that it’s not final until 7/24. My rising senior daughter’s schedule has 2 online and 2 in person so far…

@jaceyk I hadn’t heard that about the 7/24. Where did you see that?

@AggieMomhelp

https://www.tamu.edu/coronavirus/fall-2020-class-instruction-guidance-for-faculty-and-staff.html

“We will post the finalized schedule on Friday, July 24th. On Monday, July 27th, registration will open for students to be able to make changes to their fall schedule if they wish to do so as in previous years.”

I highly recommend anyone who’s on Facebook to join the Aggie Parents group page. You will see all of this information on that page, as well as get some answers to questions pretty quickly. A&M has till 7/24 to finalize the scheduled classes, and whether they’re face to face or online. Then all students will be able to adjust their own personal schedules beginning 7/27.

@AggieMomhelp @JaceyK @YankeeTexan33 My son’s schedule currently has two in person classes and the rest online. He asked his MEEN advisor and was told that all the changes this week were done by the registrar and now the departments have the chance to look at what was done and change it. She said they would be doing that within the next two weeks.

Correct, pbleigh. Colleges/departments have until 7/24 to change schedules and classes and our kids will be able to change or accept their schedules from 7/27. My son has 2 online classes from 6 , so far… We will see where it will take us.

So all the people who have apartments lined up off campus are SOL right? They are on the hook whatever? My assumption is 100% online.

@sybylla pretty much unless your contract stated no out clause. My theory is let them come any way. They can still have some sort of college experience. Hit the libraries, meet people from class from their group me’s, eat on campus, etc. Just my thought and it’s easy for me since I live in cstat (even though our son lives off campus housing with frat brothers.).

I do agree, and this is the optimal plan if all the roommates turn up, but I think tons of parents are going to baulk at $10K a year sleep away camp for no college. Aren’t your hospitals a little nervous? Do you see any stats for those? I would have thought you permanent residents at CSTAT will really feel the impact.

From what I see online right now, students have issues to let go of leasing contract. Apartments and dorm got smarter since last spring and don’t want to let go. Most of the cases you have to sublease, nothing else to do. With dorms- if you want to get out you have to pay $1000, still better than whole semester but still. They don’t let you go that easily.
My son is going, he’s staying in dorm with his roomate. We just going thru Covid right now. My husband and I taking it worse than our kids. I hope it will give him some immunity, at least for couple of months.
Let’s hope it will calm down a little until they start their semester and school in general.

We only have 24 in the hospital currently int the entire Brazos valley. We have 3 large hospitals total in Bryan college station and many er/walk in/urgent care clinics. We can handle the influx. What our businesses can’t handle are no students boosting the economy. We’ve had 34 deaths in the Brazos valley and the majority I read about are 80 and above. Not saying that doesn’t matter but many got it from nursing home.

@MomOfTeens77 hope you and your family feel better soon. I’m surprised your whole family got it. That’s awful.

I just hope all university campuses (and more importantly the students) are smart about mask wearing and social distancing when the school year begins. Lots of TAMU students come from the metro Houston area - which is looking a whole lot different in terms of positivity rate than the Bryan/College station area. The students and other young population are not the ones likely to be hospitalized. It’s the 50+ population where you begin to see more hospitalizations.

I’ve been to College Station three times in the past month or so - and have been really surprised at the lack of mask wearing.

And to say “many got it from nursing home” is kinda disingenuous. I have a parent in an assisted living center. I have not been able to see her since the first week of March. They practice extreme PPE type practices. And complete isolation from friends and family. There has only been one resident to get it, and that was back in March. But there have been 6 young, healthy staff members. They got it from outside the facility and I don’t think it was a major issue medically for any of them. Nursing homes and other care facilities are not manufacturing COVID in a vacuum. They are being exposed from the outside. Once among the residents and spreading it becomes deadly.

But I think the ability to keep the vulnerable nursing home population from contracting COVID when a staff member has it - is a testament to how well mask wearing and other hygiene practices works.

@bluebayouaz sorry to hear about your mom! I misspoke. I was saying many that died were in a nursing home or assisted living. I didn’t mean the people in Brazos valley got infected from there. Yes it was brought in but my point is the same as yours, they are vulnerable. I’m speaking of what’s happening in my city/county nothing else.

We are under mandate and we are all wearing masks. We may have been behind the times of Houston but that’s to be expected.

Thank you, AggieMomhelp. I’m struggling for 2 weeks already, my husband got it from me before I showed any symptoms. Our kids too. I’m not really surprised we all got it. We live under one roof after all. Eating dinners together, hugs, spending time together. I knew once one of us gets it all of us would, eventually. Very contagious. I got it first and I’m very cautious person. Always mask wearing, hands washing, 6 feet apart etc. still got it and don’t know where. My husband has heart condition, hopefully his symptoms will not get worse, crazy times we going thru right now. I hope our kids will keep positive vibe thru all this and can have some type of socializing and fun in college.

TAMU colleges changing their schedule, when they came up with new schedules in June my son’s class was overlapping with another, it’s fixed now( they changed it last friday). Which means they do work on schedules. Let’s hope :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=""]
We can handle the influx<<<<

[/QUOTE]

Who is we? 

http://www.brazoshealth.org/sites/default/files/inline-files/7.10.20.pdf
brazos data, nice charts.

It is going to be worth looking at this data in the coming weeks, how many students are in the area all year? If the undergrad body is over 60K, how many are already there?

Statistically some of the kids, custodians, profs, food workers etc will be infected requiring hospital, once campus is full. The issue might be excess mortality because there might not be hospital space for the more normal student issues.

Jeez y’all, this isn’t a debate on Covid. I’m telling you what’s happening here. Right now. I do love reporting tho. Those charts y you linked are great. I’m in the medical field. We have a large medical system in B/CS. We have 1250 ish Active cases in The county. Not just B/cs.

Yes everyone should monitor the situation and make Individual decisions. We are all susceptible to getting it.

@MomOfTeens77 the reason I said I was surprised you all 4 got it is because we have seen many cases where the whole household doesn’t get it. Even if just a hubby and wife at home. It’s been interesting. Or if kids test positive, they are completely asymptomatic.

Here’s to hoping the Class of 2024 has at least a normal spring semester!!!