TAMU Merit based Scholarships for Out of State Freshman

@k_03 What is your department again? We were told by engineering that the General College of Engineering scholarships should be out by the end of February. As of last Saturday at Aggieland Saturday, none had been awarded. Also, each major within engineering can decide if it is offering departmental scholarships to incoming freshmen or not. In our case, for example, my son’s first choice major is electrical, and they are only offering scholarships to continuing students. Therefore, our only shot at something is if it comes from the General College of Engineering. We’re more stressed than words can say, because we’re quite close to the mark to get the non-resident tuition waiver, but our only hope is a competitive scholarship from the department. And it’s tough competition. Not to mention that some departmental scholarships are competitive and some are not. Talk about nerve wracking!!!

@rvhappynow I feel the same as you, I too will only be to attend if I get the waiver. Hope the best for you :slight_smile: . My department is Mechanical.

A little humor for those of you in need: go to TheHouseMovie on Facebook and view the trailer :))
Couldn’t get the link to work here

@AGmomx2 That was great!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLwII6-92_Y figured out how to link it …enjoy!

@AGmomx2 Haha, that was good!!

Oh my that is GREATNESS! Thanks @AGmomx2

Hi. Can anyone tell me how to contact the department to find info about the scholarship?. My department is chemical engineering. Has anyone from ChE got any news about the merit scholarships yet?

@Trunkit71 Are you in or out of state? So far, no out of state departmental scholarships have been offered, according to an email we received from the department. From what we understand, they are currently working on the out-of-state applicants right now and we should hear something in the next few weeks. Good luck to you! Let me know if I can help in any other way.

@rvhappynow I never even looked into departmental scholarships. Do you have to apply separately from university wide scholarship? Does history department even have scholarships? We got the OOS waiver but would take more $ if they have! Lol!!

@gogogogobruins Don’t worry! You should have had the chance to just check the box for Departmental Scholarships when you submitted your application on Apply Texas. That one application was the only application to submit. You can actually go back and view your details if you want to see which scholarships your son was considered for. If I remember correctly, there was a place where you could just check which ones you thought could apply to you, so we checked everything that wasn’t just for Texas residents or NMF.

Thank you for your reply. I’m an international student. I have asked an financial aid advisor about the merit scholarship and also the chance of appealing for a reconsideration. She just told me that “Scholarships have already been awarded. We do not have any scholarships available now. We do not reconsider application for scholarship.” I think it’s time international students who haven’t heard anything so far moved on from TAMU.

@rvhappynow thanks! I’m pretty sure we checked everything too! Lol. Our son just got $100,000 scholarship to another private school. Too bad we can’t transfer that to TAMU! :))

Good for your son! Where is he going to go? It is funny how life works out. I don’t even remember what TAMU stands for now that my daughter’s decision is University of Alabama. :slight_smile:

I made an inquiry today and was told that the decisions for scholarships for the department of engineering (at least for out of state students, which is what I was asking about) would be made this week and students would know by late next week at the latest.

@Zepodes @k_03, please see comment above. I know y’all have been anxiously waiting. Thank you, @ColoFatherOf3 for finding out and keeping us updated!

@rvhappynow Thanks!! And thank you @ColoFatherOf3 for the updates!

@rvhappynow how much scholarship should one get to qualify for the tution waiver?

@Zepodes You need to get at least $4000 in competitive scholarships to get the oos tuition waiver.

keeping fingers crossed for y’all!! keep asking your department and also Aggieland bound scholarship! I know it’s NOT a competitive scholarship to qualify you for tuition waiver, but every penny helps, right? we asked last week Friday and already got awarded some Aggieland bound scholarship! they’re working pretty fast!