Don't Go To MIAMI

<p>Hi, I am a student of miami and I am just going to say a few things about this school:</p>

<p>If you are accepted here and are thinking to go here b/c of scholarship aspect, don't come here. Go to a more prestigious well known school. This school will not help you get anywhere in life. More money is spent on the campus looking pretty than education. It is overated. Resources here are not too great, if you want anything your best going to look for it yourself in Miami. When I wanted a job, since I am studying law, the school didn't help me out whatsoever. I am on a full scholarship and honeslty, as nice as it is not to pay, I would rather go to Emory or any other school where the kids are a bit more competant.
Furthermore, Miami is capcitated by a large amount of Snobbs. Although you may find your share of amable people, the majority of people here are directionless. There are a lot of divided groups by races. Yes, I know this is the same situation in a lot of places, however, here it is worst. Coconut Grove, "the place to be" is all Hispanic. Don't get me wrong, I am Hispanic too, Its just I wanted to go to a school where I could meet new types of people with much combined diversity.
If you are honestly considering Miami and you visited, it is b/c you were taken away by their aesthetic campus. You don't go to a school b/c it has a small lake, you go to a school for education and community. Miami lacks both of these aspects.
If you are considering this school and are paying full or partial tuition, there are so many other schools that are better or of same prestige but are so much cheaper. University of Florida is one. </p>

<p>If anyone has any questions post away.</p>

<p>But Seriously, if you want my opinion, don't go here.</p>

<p>P.S. I am not a loser in case peep are thinking this, I am a frat man. I will not say which frat for privacy reasons. ;)</p>

<p>I am sorry you have not had the experience you sought at UM. My son's experience has been very different.</p>

<p>The Miami Commitment program and his advisor helped him find excellent jobs (he has 2) and he has met all kinds of people. His Spanish has improved vastly because he has made so many Hispanic friends and one of the things he likes best is how he has been able to meet so many people from all over the US and indeed the world, who are different from him. He was asked to pledge a frat but decided not to, thinking a frat might narrow his ability to make friends and take too much of his time.</p>

<p>Coming from a private school, he has found the academics challenging enough but not so challenging as to overshadow the other things he also wants to do. He was invited to join the honors program which he did (this happened after the first term's grades came in), and decided this term to take a 6th class which he did. He is trying to figure out how to major in business but also do a double major or minor in something in the liberal arts. For him, UM has been a perfect balance between academics and the other parts of life. At his private school, academics demanded 120% of his time and as he was also into many extracurriculas as well as a varsity athlete, he was always way too busy and not very happy. He is busy all the time now, but has a much more balanced life at UM. Quite frankly, I think he is happier than he has been since elementary school.</p>

<p>He has spoken of perhaps taking some classes during the summer, while he works, because there are so many subjects he wants to "taste." A year ago I would not have predicted this - he did what he had to do for school (which, granted, was a lot) and nothing more. </p>

<p>He has had 2 UM professors he wasn't delighted with, but in both cases spoke to his advisor and switched to other sections. He's also had profs he's really loved.</p>

<p>Good luck finding what you seek.</p>

<p>wow two totally opposite opinions/experiences. i believe this occurs everywhere.. but so should i go or should i not?! any more inside information on UM?</p>

<p>Miami is a place I have been going for 3 years and still don't call home.</p>

<p>Honestly, I have made many friends and all, and socially, the school is ok. But, education wise, it sucks. As the other guy said the campus is spent on more than education. Think about that.</p>

<p>Being that I am still a student I won't say any more bad things.</p>

<p>But seriously go to UF it's much much better, my bro goes there and I see the difference.</p>

<p>Leave Miami as a super super safety.</p>

<p>As a junior in hs that is interested in Miami and would like to learn more, i have a couple of questions for the original poster and any current students attending UM. </p>

<p>First off, I have heard a lot of diff. responses about the school's reputation as a party school. Is it really that much of a party school? Some ppl. have said it is what you make of it...and from others I have heard that the party atmosphere is an aspect of the school that overshadows the academics. What is your experience on this? </p>

<p>With regards to academics, how challenging are they? And how seriously do the students take them. I have also heard many diff. opinions on this. Does it differ within specific majors or departments?</p>

<p>Finally, I am wondering about what the students are like. How would you characterize the student body as a whole? </p>

<p>Overall, I have heard that for the most part students are happy with the school...but then again I have yet to visit and see for myself.</p>

<p>Wow, 2 students who joined CC at the same time (today) and have posted once each to make negative comments about UMiami and endorse UF....interesting.</p>

<p>I've heard that it's real easy at Miami to get a good GPA, this is now 2 other people confirming. However, a lot of my current classes I find real easy, yet i'm learning a lot. There is a difference between having a hard class and getting a good education. There have been classes i've been in at High School (AP History, AP English), where i've just been completely lost in the class, and learned nothing, but it has been very challenging. Yet other seeming blow off classes (Marketing, some social studies classes and Algebra) where i've learned a ton.</p>

<p>I'd have to visit and ask questions on their job department. Miami has a very low peer assessment rating. Their business school, although has a very good regional reputation, no one knows of or recognizes outside of the large southeast markets. It'd probably be hard to land a job outside of the Miami area. I'm sure that there are definitely some exceptions, but generally speaking, i'm worried about the Miami degree carrying it's weight. </p>

<p>Tuition is ridiculous, and their financial aid wasn't great for me. I'm planning on appealing it tomorrow, but waiting to hear they don't have money for a student like me. It seems like people have commented on it being a party school for rich kids, i'm wondering if that is indeed true. Also, everyone has been saying it's all Spanish down there. The only spanish is "Hola, me llamo". Will I have to learn spanish to talk to a lot of people?</p>

<p>If you have questions/concerns, that's understandable. Ask your questions directly to Miami, or talk to students face to face when you visit, but please don't make a life altering decision based upon the words of 2 strangers on a message board.</p>

<p>Yankeegirl, are you referring to my questions? If so, I didn't plan on making any life altering decisions based solely on comments from a message board. I was just hoping to get some info. on a college that I am interested in.</p>

<p>Another parent here who's son LOVES Miami. From the minute he stepped foot on campus he has considered himself a Miamian. I've ask him several times if he made the right decision, and everytime I get the same answer, "Without question! Yes!".</p>

<p>Ask 100 people about the U and you'll probably get 100 different answers, but like most things in life you'll probably find those who have problems or dislikes will probably be the loudest. I encourage those interested in the U to make up their own minds..........</p>

<p>You claim to be a law student yet you've got terrible grammar, sentence structure, and spelling. You misspelled competent as "competant", amiable as "amable", and over-rated as "overated". There are a lot of other mistakes in your post that even the worst law student in the country wouldn't make. I'd go on about them but anyone with moderate reading ability will catch them. These mistakes in and of themselves discredit your posts imo.</p>

<p>Trashing the schools job placement is silly and something you obviously know very little about. All you really have to do as look at the companies that recruit at UM. Of course, if you don't have access to that material because you're not actually a student there...</p>

<p>Jester987,
It's also strange that you could comment on the quality of a UF education vs. a UM education if you haven't been to UF. You would need some direct basis for comparison (you would essentially need to be studying the same things). Or, are you just saying you're brother is smarter than you are. At this stage, I don't think that would be too much of a stretch. Of course, this would've been a problem that existed before you guys even went to college.</p>

<p>"I am not a loser in case peep are thinking this, I am a frat man. I will not say which frat for privacy reasons"</p>

<p>What mature individual would imply that he is not a loser because he's in a frat? It would seem like someone saying "I'm not a loser because I'm in a frat" is actually either a huge loser or a juvenile </p>

<p>jester9------87
miamiman----86</p>

<p>Could be a coincidence or it could be a person who using similar naming patterns when choosing a screen name. HMMM...</p>

<p>This post is either one of two things:
1) Some high school kid who wants to/plans to attend UF and is trying to tear down another big name u in FL to make himself feel special </p>

<p>2) A UF underclassmen (most possibly a freshmen and possibly a frat BOY) trying to do as listed above</p>

<p>Don't feed the trolls ladies and gentlemen. Your acknowledgement gives them strength. Without that, they cannot survive.</p>

<p>wow, whats up with all these people creating accounts, lol</p>

<p>I was thinking the same thing, A2. Agenda posters. One issue voters. LOL. Disposable screennames.</p>

<p>miamiman86 & jester987 > i have a question, if you don't like UM then why don't you transfer out?</p>

<p>for full scholarship? but WHY would you stay when you think you are not receiving enough education.. if you can get full scholarship from UM then you will probably be able to get at least some from other colleges as well.. wouldn't you rather pay an amount for a better school, academics-wise?</p>

<p>A2 and Curm-That's exactly what I was trying to point out. </p>

<p>empemitheos-You're doing the right thing by asking questions, nobody was trying to imply differently. Start a new thread letting us know what you plan to study and we will be happy to try to help you get answers. Good luck.</p>

<p>empemitheos...I wasn't directing my comments towards you. They were general comments to anyone who may take what is posted here and use the info to make a decision without checking further.
Good luck to you.</p>

<p>Miamiman86, I attended University of Miami Law School many years ago. All I can tell you is that if you become as successful as I have been, you will be quite happy!</p>

<p>Many of my friends at Miami Law are very successful lawyers and are multimillionaires in their own right. Many have thriving practices.</p>

<p>Yes, Miami didn't have a great placement office for its grads unless you were on law review. However, this is the case among many law top law schools. However, no one to my knowledge had any trouble finding jobs and getting experience.</p>

<p>Many of us really liked the Miami experience. I am sorry that you don't feel the same. I can tell you, however, that Miami has some of the best programs, especially in tax and estate planning, in the US.</p>