Texas A&M Class of 2025...After you have been accepted...Q&A

We are going down a couple days early to buy his computer, get banking set-up, get him connected with a doctor for his ADHD… fun days getting ready to adult! We will make plenty of time to go to different restaurants in the area!

Speaking of banking, does anyone know what banks/ ATMs are on campus? Preferably not local banks since were out of state. But Chase, Wells Fargo or Bank of America types…?

@itsmegina Wells Fargo ATMs are on campus

1 Like

Lots of chase banks as well. Not on campus though. Just Wells Fargo. Nowadays most just use Venmo. There’s no such thing as cash lol

In town we also have Bank of America, prosperity, frost and I think those are the main big ones besides the 2 already mentioned.

1 Like

Does anyone have some insight on parking? I am considering letting my daughter take a car in the fall and was looking at garage and lot permits. I have seen many suggestions on various parent FB pages to get garage parking due to hail storm damange that can occur annually.

She will be in UH, so Northside Garage and Lot 30 would be closest to her dorm. If gets a unnumbered garage permit, will she always have a spot? Or can those get filled up with visitors, other students, etc.? What about with the surface lots?

Thanks!

@kwhdman parking is a total crap shoot, lottery draw. This is the only thing at A&M that doesn’t require the urgency of signing up on day 1, there really is nothing anyone can do to get their desired garage/lot. Parking registration will have a window of time it is open. Students list/rank spots they want. After that it is out of your hands. The bulk of freshman get WCG (West Campus Garage). If she doesn’t get the lot she wants, she’ll be on a Wait List for the other lots she ranked. Last year, my student stayed in the 700s on the Wait List. Not kidding. Some people luck out and get the tiny flat lot outside their dorm…most don’t. Check the prices, too-they definitely vary in price.
If she pays for a pass, she’s guaranteed a spot to park. There are no assigned spaces, just assigned lots/garages.
WCG makes students move their cars to 5th floor+ for football games, but they still can park there.

2 Likes

Freshmen are bottom of the bottom for parking. Good thing is that once you have a permit you like, you are guaranteed that lot/garage for the rest of your time at tamu (if you want it.).

here’s the link to seniority on lot/garage assignments for off campus students.
https://transport.tamu.edu/parking/faqpermit/info-offcampus.aspx

Here’s the link for on campus students.
https://transport.tamu.edu/parking/faqpermit/info-oncampus.aspx

Good luck!

3 Likes

Which lots did your daughter ask for? She was an off campus sophomore, right? We are hoping for a 100 lot pass for my off campus freshman and will be pleasantly surprised if he gets it. Thanks @AggieMomhelp for the link of possible lots based on seniority…helps a bunch!

I think the first day to sign up for a permit is April 14

1 Like

@Eggscapgoats lot 100 is a day lot, for off campus students, shouldn’t be a problem at all to get that.
My student lived in Hullabaloo last year, requested the flat lots on either side of Hulla and Northside Garage…got WCG. As an off campus sophomore this year (but didn’t turn in parking pass last year, even during quarantine, to keep seniority/spot in line), still got WCG (requested flat lots around Wehner and Cain).

Well, that’s a shame about those flat lots. My son will be happy with a lot 100 so glad to hear it is possible

FYI in normal days (precovid) lot 100 does actually fill up. It’s crazy. My son would drive around and around trying to find a spot. Part of lot 100 is by the baseball field as well. Walking is good for the freshman 15! :crazy_face:

2 Likes

@Eggscapgoats agree with @AggieMomhelp - I don’t doubt he’ll get Lot 100, BUT it does fill up early in the day. He’ll need to allow plenty of time to find a spot, if he isn’t parking for an 8:00. Depending on where he lives, he may have better luck riding the bus-hugely popular & reliable.

@AggieMomhelp and @52AG82 Good to know - thank-you so much!

1 Like

What should I do in preparation for NSC? I’m planning on doing engineering at A&M, and GPA will be a big deal for me because of ETAM. Should I research the best teachers to choose for each course before I register at my NSC? Do I even get a choice? Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Following your question because I’d like the answer too.

Is it worthwhile to research on RateMyProfessor or grade distribution or do freshman engineers kinda just get what they can get?

@itsmegina @colakarina If you go back up 18days, I gave an idea of how we handled registration for each and every semester. Not everybody does it this way. Mine is only one voice.

Also note that the very next post by @52AG82 did not use this complex of a method, and recommended the Grade Distribution from A&M over RMP.

You do as much or little as you would like. And if you get in a bind, @AggieMomhelp has very cheap rates to help out. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Thanks, reading over it right now!

@colakarina, @MackAg is correct- you can do as little or as much as you’d like. Just know that the math dept is known for switching professors, so don’t spend much time searching for one. Especially for lower level math, it’s almost a guarantee whoever you sign up for, won’t be the Prof on the 1st day of class.

Engineering parents really need to join the Engineering Parents FB page-huge wealth of information! Parents only, and student must be admitted to A&M, to join.

LOL @mackag cheap for sure.

My son definitely uses both rmp and grade distribution.

It’s always good to get an idea of who’s teaching and how the class in general falls gpa wise. Now, will you get that prof or the time you want, maybe… maybe not. But it’s better to be prepared than not!

How do you find grade distribution? I googled “TAMU grade distribution” and it looks like the top hits aren’t from TAMU websites. Am I doing this right?