Texas A&M Class of 2025...After you have been accepted...Q&A

Have you done 1860 Italia yet? OMG so good. Isn’t it great to live here and not have to travel for football games, parents weekend, NSC etc?

1 Like

Yes! It was interesting to attend the NSC as a local, but we had fun! I LOVE the food at 1860 Italia. The times we went, their service wasn’t great, but the food was worth it.

1 Like

OOOOH! @AggieMomhelp Thanks for the recommendation…my daughter loves Italian!!

@AggieMomhelp and @sapphire33 I am planning where we will eat while in CS for NSC. I have no idea what classes he will register for, but have a little chart of plans of where to eat… you can tell where my priorities lie! How does this look? Any suggestions of things to omit, add, or change meals for?

Sunday Lunch Hullabaloo Diner
Sunday Dinner Napa Flats
Monday Breakfast Mess Waffles
Monday Lunch Casa Rodriquez
Monday DinnerCooper’s BBQ or Bavarian Brauhaus
Tuesday Breakfast Stella
Tuesday Lunch Campus
Tuesday Dinner 1860 Italia
Wednesday Breakfast First Watch
Wednesday Lunch Dixie Chick
Wednesday Dinner Fuego

@tmclanton i would ditch one of your dinners for Gate12, it is fantastic! I’d skip Fuego. It’s okay, but drive-thru tacos, terrible iced tea. Let your son go with friends in August. Make a reservation thru Open Table.
Never heard of the Bavarian place. Napa Flats is great!
You’re going to have to get up EARLY to eat breakfast at restaurants, then park and get to NSC by the time it starts. Might rethink that, unless y’all are just big breakfast eaters & early risers.
We ate on campus both days for lunch, definitely no time to leave and get back.
Why are y’all in town so many days?

1 Like

@tmclanton This is a fantastic list! Double check hours because some local places are closed on Mondays. We LOVE Fuego’s. I always get the Fuego Steak. I think Hullabaloo Diner is overrated, but my son loves it. :woman_shrugging:t2:

When you go to First Watch, make sure you check in online and see what the wait time is. Otherwise, you might end up waiting over an hour. My husband calls it First Wait. I’m not sure how much time you’ll have in the mornings for breakfast on actual NSC days.

When it comes to BBQ, Cooper’s is great, but J. Cody’s and C&J’s are more local. J. Cody’s also has live bluegrass music on Monday nights. Honestly, you can’t go wrong with any of those places.

Also, if you want a cheaper alternative to 1860 Italia, check out Fritella’s, Luigis, or Cafe Capri. All are locally owned by Italians.

Harvey Washbangers has really good burgers. You gotta stop by Sweet Eugenes for a coffee. There are some other fun places at Century Square (Sweet Paris,
Piadas, etc).

I’m sure every local has their own opinions. This is my two cents!!

1 Like

I have not heard of Gate12. I will look that up.
We are big breakfast people. But, the main reason I was thinking that was because we are staying at the hotel on campus and the last time we stayed there, I was not impressed with the breakfast. Maybe we can eat in the dining halls??? Are they open for breakfast? I think you bring up a great point about the timing of breakfast… we don’t want to be late.
We are coming early because I want to spend all of Monday there. We are going to get some tasks done while we are in town.

I’d just grab Chick Fil A in the MSC on day 1. Parking will be crazy, and the waits can be LONG at the local breakfast places you mentioned. Same for leaving campus for lunch-there just isn’t that much time, unless they have changed the schedule drastically. Fuego might be doable, since it’s just across Texas from campus, but you’ll still have to park once you get back. Plenty of places to eat in the MSC, or go to Sbisa and check out what they have.
Sweet Eugene’s is our new favorite spot! Great coffee, tea, sweets & atmosphere. Would be fun to go at night, before bed.

Gate12 is at the airport. Great food, it’s right on the runway.

1 Like

Thank you! So, out of Mess Waffles and Stellas, which would you recommend for our breakfast on Monday?

Haven’t been to either. Are you taking about Stella Southern Café or the Stella Hotel? I have friends that love Stella Southern Café! It definitely isn’t near campus, but you could do it on a non NSC morning.

Stella Southern Cafe is good, but not close to campus, so it’s doable on your free day but not on an MSC day. Mess is across the street from campus in Century Square, a block or two from Northgate and has better chicken and waffles. What are your actual NSC days?

There is time to leave campus for lunch if you’re not going far and the place is quick. We had about 1 1/2 hours for lunch at my son’s NSC last week. We ate on campus to check out the dining halls, but on the 2nd day, he left campus for lunch. We didn’t go that day because they don’t allow parents in the engineering advisor meetings. The town does clear out during the summer months so there are less waits at restaurants than during the semester, NSCs do bring more people to town in the summer.

I believe I am talking about Stella Southern cafe… not really sure, but will go with that. We would go on Monday. NSC on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Oh Tammy, you and I could be besties. This is something I would totally do and actually do when we go places.

My cousin is in for their sons nsc. We went to Gate 12 last night. If you want to sit on runway view, get there early. Very casual place but some come more dressy. Very wide range of food and price points.

Stella is way too far for bfast on a conference day. Agree about Fuego. I’m all about mad taco instead but that’s on south end of town. All the places you mentioned are good tho and won’t disappoint! I would eat on campus on nsc day 1. Lots of options and pretty decent food!

Another fun place in downtown Bryan that just came to mind is The Proudest Monkey. Great hamburgers, tacos and fries. Very casual.

Enjoy!

2 Likes

Agree about downtown Bryan! We tried to eat at Ronin last time we were in town, but only resv were on patio…and it was raining. Lucked out hy getting a resv at Gate 12, which is definitely our new favorite!

@tmclanton we never leave town without taking our Aggie to Wings N More. Best chicken tenders EVER! We aren’t wing people, this isn’t a typical chain. Seriously the best tenders ever! My husband loves their steak fingers and chicken fried steak, too. I’d for sure add Wings N More to your eating list. It’s an Aggie favorite.
While you’re on campus, I’d run into Hullabaloo. You can see the model room anytime, no tour needed. It’s just good to look at the furniture, check out the bathroom (see the storage, what kind of shower, etc).

1 Like

Remember hearing about really good pizza rolls…but where?

Gumby’s and Double Dave’s (I think?).

1 Like

D21 signed up for Fish Camp yesterday - site kept crashing. She got into Session B

1 Like

For those of you whose students took the MPE2 - is it multiple choice? My D21 took the practice test today and it was not.

DS took it a few weeks ago and said it was both multiple choice and fill in the blank

I have what I feel like is a silly question, but I’m going to ask it anyway. : )

My daughter is trying to determine if she needs shower shoes for the dorm. Of course she would take them if she was going to use a communal shower, but will be in a modular sharing the shower with just her roommate.

Any suggestions from your previous/existing college students?