Texas A&M Class of 2025...After you have been accepted...Q&A

DS and friend lived in a modular two years and didn’t use shower shoes. The few times I was there, it looked pretty clean, even at the end of the year. A cleaning person will come every week to clean also. Modulars are great!

1 Like

No silly questions here. But agree with Eggscapgoats… none needed! It’s kept pretty clean and girls are way cleaner than boys… lol

2 Likes

MPE question - D21 got a Math 140 score and Math 142 score - anyone know what that means? I curious to see how she did. She said the real MPE2 was easier then the practice tests.

@Eggscapgoats & @AggieMomhelp
Thank you!

It depends what her major is. My son is a business major and his test showed this:

@tmclanton i don’t know why they even mention anything about scoring? My Mays student missed 1 question on MPE. They all took 140 in the Fall, 142 in the Spring.

For real tho!!! They all have to take 140 and 142 or their equivalents.

If they score a 19 or lower, they’ll take college algebra first. This will be an elective towards their degree plan.

My son and I are about to start playing around with schedules to prepare for his NSC next week. As I look at courses, there are some that are obviously full (0 of 60 seats remain). Then there are some that say 0 of 0 seats remain and then have Act: 0, Max:0 Avl:0. Are these classes that will potentially open before next week? I know they open classes prior to the later NSCs. How do we know what will actually be available? His NSC starts next Tuesday. Should I wait a couple more days before trying to do schedules? There are no more NSCs before ours next Tuesday.

I think those are classes that won’t open up until registration on Day 2. It’s good that they reserve some classes for later NSCs, but it’s frustrating when you’re trying to plan. I’ve heard that the math classes in particular will not list profs till later in the summer.

It’s good to go in with plans and back up plans (I know you’re all over it!), but it’s also kind of a crap shoot. We ended up focusing more on the day and time of the class versus who the prof is, although that will be a big factor in future registrations.

1 Like

@tmclanton If it is anything like my son’s NSC a couple weeks ago, they will either add some seats to some sections, and/or open additional sections which are currently at 0 seats, or do nothing, about an hour prior to your ticket time of 2:30pm on your second day. I would definitely recommend making some schedules ahead of time but plan on redoing everything an hour before hand. You will not be able to help then because your son with be in a scheduling session with some other kids and his advisor with no parents allowed.

2 Likes

Yes… I am all over it! However, I am trying REALLY hard to have him take control. I have walked him through the worksheet and will encourage him to look at it daily to get the lay of the land. We will work on it in the hotel room the night before Day1 and then again before Day 2. It will all work out! I hear Mays advisors are amazing, so I am just going to prepare him as much as I can and then let them work their magic! We got this!!!

2 Likes

Yes seats and sections will open up, but it’s not easy to know which ones will or won’t. Just being familiar with how to look up courses, locations, prof gpa ratings on registrar report, and times is key. Just focus on getting a schedule he can live with and then in august, he can move things around as they open up!

Like you said… it’ll all work out.

2 Likes

@tmclanton what @sapphire33 said is true-math dept notorious for changing professors around, especially with 140, 142 etc basic math classes. Don’t waste any time searching for math profs…they are guaranteed to change.

I have read that there is no longer a session during NSC on how to navigate Student Business Services, pay your bill, etc. Absolutely speechless. Not sure how that didn’t get deemed ‘absolutely necessary’?!?! Be sure to visit the Student Business Services booth/table in the MSC for details. SBS handles bill pay, payment plan, Texas Tomorrow Fund and so much more.

@tmclanton Oh one thing I forgot to mention is that the advisor told the kids to add a Hullabaloo U course during the advisory session that we didn’t know about in advance. It is zero credit hour, one day a week, FYEX 101. You might want to look through them because there are hundreds all over campus, some even in dorms.

Ooh my business partner’s son is teaching one of those. He’s doing his practicum at TAMU for student affairs and he gets to teach one of these. Sounds like a fun “class”.

I’ve been following this thread since the beginning and I’m still trying to get a handle on what I need to help my son do before his NSC (June 23-24) as far as prepping for scheduling his classes. Can someone explain it to me like I’m a 5 year old, lol?

-What website are you using to play around with schedules? We’ve found Rev Registration, is that the one? We figured out how to make a schedule in it but how do I figure out what some of the acronyms in the schedule mean (I’m seeing BLOC, HEB, ILCB, HELD, ONLINE for just a few examples)
-Once we see his degree plan and what classes he needs to be in (he’s engineering) do I also have him pick some options for core classes, and what’s the best way to find out what other non math and science classes he should take (we assume no AP credits will be used and know that ETAM means looking for highest GPA possible freshman year)

I swear I’ve been paying attention, I (we) are just so overwhelmed!
Thanks for any help :smiley:

1 Like

I have read about the overall idea, but where do you find a list of actual classes. I guess I thought that they were assigned to one.

I am not too worried about Math 140 (famous last words). I am sure he can handle it no matter who he gets.

We will be sure to look for the Student Business Services table to get information. Thanks for the info!

1 Like

You are making me laugh “explain it to me like I’m a 5 year old” too funny.

So the registration worksheet is on the Howdy portal (click on registration) and it takes you to where he can search classes and add them to his worksheet. Then when he gets to NSC and things are truly opened for his session (or still open from prior sessions), the can plug and chug from there. Main thing is to be familiar with the site and how to search (it’s easy, I promise).

The courses he’ll need as fillers are Creative arts, history, pols, english, Language/culture/philosophy, electives, ets. Go to the degree plan for engineering and they lay out what the semesters typically look like per year.

https://catalog.tamu.edu/undergraduate/engineering/#majorstext

This is the main page that you can then select the engineering discipline he wants and go from there. It’ll list first semester… START there. = )

1 Like

@tmclanton Just search for FYEX on Howdy class search and you will get a huge long list