Texas A&M Class of 2027 Official Thread

His AIS still says Computing BA at the top. And at the bottom it says 1st choice, Engineering, Computing BA, 2nd choice Engineering, Computer Science, BS.

He filled out every essay and sent letters of recommendation, upload his AP Scholar certificate. It’s just a bit perplexing to me.

I did call admissions and spoke to someone who sounded very young who was completely unaware of any BA Computing major. I was concerned because on the CommonApp pdf it did not show his test scores, but in AIS it says they received his scores. I wanted to be 100% sure his scores were being considered, since on the CommonApp for every other school his SAT shows up. He assured me that as long as his scores appear in AIS, they are being considered.

2 Likes

He is accepted to Galveston already, but his heart is set on AGSM. He does love engines and is hired all around the county/area to work on them in our driveway (no garage for work space).
He has a skill and a passion for it.

Even the TA we toured with for AGSM didn’t know the engine dialect my son was speaking about in discussing the program. I don’t either, but his dad is a high school ag mech teacher so that is his department. Praying and waiting.

Again thank you for your time.

3 Likes

A couple things you mentioned that I’m curious about.

I gather that the SRAR somehow takes this into consideration and spits out some kind of rigor index? On our school profile it says the school offers 59 advanced classes. And it says that 88% of AP test takers score 3 or above. 22 NMF. I just wonder how all that is taken into consideration. How does they know the advanced course participation rate and passing/distinction rates? Obviously participation in APs is super high.

Curious about this too. How so? I know they learned Python in CSP and Java in CSA and my oldest codes in R in an advanced Data Science class.

@Penny_Jones —a recurring theme on this board is how much more competitive admissions are this year when compared to previous years. I am stunned at the level of students, like yours, who are waiting on admittance. Good luck. Surely it will come in January. TAMU needs kids like I’m reading about here!

2 Likes

In terms of spectrum of high schools, high schools with close to 100% AP participation rate, and 100% of students scoring 3 or above will make the high school more favorable. 22NMF is one high school is very impressive but note that participation and scores make high schools more competitive. And more admission allocated to competitive high schools.

SRAR reflects individual student position within a high school. It is used to assign a more accurate rank.

High school programming is very superficial and exams are only focused on object oriented languages, the long list of other languages mentioned in CSP is very introductory and no serious coding tests involved. Many students scoring 5s in CSP and CSA do suffer in ENGR 102/ENGR216 (By all means a B in ETAM class is considered “suffer”).

High school students may pick Comp Science because they like “coding”. In reality, even BMEN on equipment design route can have as many as 33 credit hours of coding with a career far more rewarding than a regular computer science students. This is the main reason ETAM year is in place to let students realize coding itself is not necessary equal computer science.

1 Like

Thank you…he has worked hard to make sure his resume was strong for college purposes. He grew up at “Aggieland” as his grandpa (my Dad) was on the Letterman’s Board of Directors for years and then elected to President when the renovations started on Kyle Field. We picked out the tile for the Letterman’s Lounge together and he is a Hall of Honor Recipient. Many Letterman programs are better because of his grandpa’s time and investment at TAMU. That has no bearing on my son’s application or admissions though. I just know that those who earn a spot holistically (competing state and nationwide versus just school-wide really earn a great opportunity.)

We moved right before my son’s high school years due to forced job change and knew the local schools did not have enough rigor to prepare him well for a great college field, thus the dual credit (self planned early college focus). He did attend a co-op with college professors from LeTourneau teaching high school physics and computer programming classes, but it is not accredited. They set the grades though and I feel it prepared him well for when he took the classes at the college level later in high school.

Hanging on to hope.

I think the distinct difference between math and English is pretty big for Tamu. They like to see a more equal score.

You should hear something since engineering. It’s the non engineering majors I was talking about.

2 Likes

7 tabs and official acceptance on AIS this morning!
Holistic, in-state applicant.
1st quarter, 1340 SAT, 4.14 gpa, varsity swim team 4 years, NHS member, and lifeguard. 5 AP classes, 3 dual. Biology major!

8 Likes

Welp, my DS scored an 800 on math and 550 on English. He received his acceptance to A&M and General Engineering just 2 weeks after submitting his completed application. He also got accepted to the Engineering Honors program. He applied EA, and we were expecting a long wait due to holistic review. He was not auto admit to A&M, either. Just sharing so others realize it is possible to get in with lopsided math-English scores.

4 Likes

@ababac your son is an incoming freshman, and has already received Engineering Honors acceptance?

Yeah pretty sure a perfect math score would be a no brainer for admissions lol. Congrats.

2 Likes

Got 7 tabs this morning but application still in review- where do we look for official acceptance?

9 Likes

AIS will update Monday most likely to say whoop you’ve been admitted!

Congrats!

1 Like

@TamuDad15 congrats! What major? Be hovering over portal, for Housing link to open.

1 Like

New to posting. Have been following this thread for a bit.

My son’s Howdy portal went to 7 tabs this morning and his major was changed in AIS!!

Want to give some hope to those who went test optional.
Small, competitive private HS-doesn’t rank.
First quartile in AIS.
3.64 unweighted GPA.
Only one AP class (Art)-however all classes taught at Honors level
4 year varsity track and cross country. Team captain for both this year.
Eagle scout.

5 Likes

D23 - looks like she got her 1st choice - Meteorology - College Station but she told me she wants to switch to Chemistry.

Guess we will need to contact Admissions.

2 Likes

Thanks. Just saying his scores were pretty lopsided…and 730 isn’t too far off. I think devrapatel has a good chance!

2 Likes

@TamuDad15 Meteorology is very cool!
Didn’t she start out wanting Engineering & Business? I say this with all seriousness-have you thought about having her take career aptitude testing? I would definitely look into that, before switching to Chemistry. It’s not easy to change majors at A&M, she’s obviously smart, so I’d get her tested before doing anything.

2 Likes

@luvmaroon congrats! What major?

My sons Howdy page went to seven tabs this morning. Construction science major. Is this a “for sure” sign because he does not believe me.

6 Likes