Texas A&M Class of 2027 Official Thread

There are still Blinn offers, but if your student’s targeting major is competitive, then PSA is likely. PSA Corpus Christi is a great option, but TT and UTD are both great options.

1 Like

Anxious. We took in all of the input for TEAM vs. Waitlist vs. Team & Waitlist. My kid has 40 dc hours, so we chose the option for both, worried that if we just chose TEAM it would not actually be offered because of hours. Took the amazing advice from the forum and paired it with the emails from TAP and in the AIS system, plus a few advising phone calls. Finally, on Friday, an advisor said to me over the phone…she wouldn’t have received TEAM as an option to consider in January if we weren’t going to approve her…that was the nugget of info we had needed a month ago. So, changed to TEAM only in AIS yesterday morning, but what are the odds at this point? I know two big rounds of TEAM offers have already gone out.

1 Like

Always check degree plan and TCCNS codes to see how many really transferable. The smaller number the better.

I saw a TAMU data matrix on a thread here at CC that reported “holistic” non-3.75+ GPA ETAM acceptance for first choice mechanical engineering at 30%. I think it was data from 2020. I told my son about it since he wants to major in Mech E.

He and I also spoke on the phone with a work-study TAMU engineering sophomore who was on scholarship. She worked at the IT help desk line we were calling. She was extremely helpful At the end of our call, we had a brief conversation. She said she missed the 3.75+GPA and did not get in to her first choice, Computer Science, until the head of the IT help desk group got involved and wrote some emails for her. She said ETAM is very difficult and said that TAMU is experiencing growing pains trying to reach their goal of 25,000 engineering students by 2025. She said she was very lucky to get into her first choice major.

We also have a friend who’s son did not get his first choice in ETAM (not sure what that choice was). He wound up graduating as a Chem E major. Now he doesn’t work in engineering at all and is unhappy. In fairness, this young man never had a sunny disposition in my opinion. My son knows this young man well, and knows the story. He also knows my opinion about this young man’s attitude being generally negative.

Finally, we have a very close family friend who is a National Merit Finalist from California. His dad is a UC professor. He got a full ride at TAMU. He is a 2022 TAMU Mech E graduate. I have spent significant time with. He is very, very bright. He said he had a 3.4 going into ETAM after his first year. He is now getting his masters at TAMU. He has advised my so to be cautious because ETAM has gotten more difficult

If it weren’t for ETAM, my son would’ve already committed to TAMU. We did pay the housing deposit. He loves TAMU and is especially impressed with the Zachry building. But he is also accepted to 7 others schools, including four top 50 engineering schools. One of those has a have similar competitive admission after first year General Engineering to engineering majors. I asked him if he had one word to describe the A & M process. He said “annoying.” He has limited his choice to the four top-ranked schools.

I’m afraid my son will reject TAMU because of all the “hurdles” (his words) they put up. I told him it is not personal to him. It is because TAMU is a great value, very popular and growing fast. I don’t think he’s buying it.

Any thoughts anyone would like to share to help me present ETAM to him in a more positive light would be helpful. Particularly more recent data (if its available)or stories you know of. Maybe there is data on increased faculty that will ease the ETAM stress.

2 Likes

We’ve checked along the way. They all are transferable, with the exception of maybe 2. What are the odds with our late switch to TEAM only is really my question…is TEAM only still going out?

1 Like

I thought u could not change the choices after u made it?

I followed the lead of several people on this thread, although most changed within days of making the initial decision. The window to originally choose is until March 1. I went in through AIS, asked an admission decision question about moving and got the following notification:

We appreciate your interest in Texas A&M.

Your interest in Blinn Team only has been noted and you will be given full consideration for this option. However, AIS will not reflect the update. Rest assured your preference has been captured in our internal system. Please continue to monitor AIS for your final admission decision.

Thanks and Gig’em

1 Like

Is construction science a competitive major and is there any chance if I put it as my second choice I could still be admitted. Thanks!

Yes Blinn Team admission is still going out.

2 Likes

Construction science is bigger on transfer than freshmen admission in the last few cycles.

Even if the applicant hasn’t been given a choice of Blinn Team or Waitlist?

@Steve6 I’m a Mays mom, daughter graduates with double major-Business Honors & Management-in May. She graduated from high school in 2019. Her closest friends from high school, that majored in Engineering, all went elsewhere-Tech Honors, Michigan and UT Honors. They all got into A&M, but decided ETAM just wasn’t worth it (not 3.75 then). Between ETAM, class sizes, difficulty getting into courses needed…they all wanted nothing to do with it (2 of them have Aggie Engineering siblings, so they were very familiar with the system/program).

My daughters best friend & roommate at A&M is CompSci Honors. She loves it, has an incredible job lined up after grad. Two other close friends are Civil, and have amazing post grad jobs lined up. Many of her guy friends are Mechanical, Petroleum, Chemical and CompSci.

There are pros & cons to A&M Engineering. One can take a drive down University and not help but notice that’s where the bulk of $ is being spent…on the gorgeous Zachry complex. As someone who doesn’t have an Eng major, it’s a tough pill to swallow, when you drive to the Mays/Wehner building on West Campus…an absolute eyesore from the exterior (they are FINALLY renovating/adding on to Wehner, but it’ll be several years before that it complete…sigh).
It’s ALL about Engineering at A&M :roll_eyes:

That being said, A&M does produce great Engineers, has a solid reputation. A&M itself is huge, over-the-top competitive, and the Engineering dept ramps that up a notch.

It all comes down to personal choice & decision.
How competitive & driven is your son? Is he willing to take another major, if he misses ETAM?
Does he want to be an Aggie over everything? Or does he want to be a specific type of Engineer, no matter what school he attends? So many factors, every student is different. I’d make a spreadsheet and list Pros/Cons for his top choices…sounds like he has many. Good luck to your son…ultimately it must be his decision.

6 Likes

Only those offered and selected Blinn options.

Thank you for the info. Very helpful. Do you know if it is possible to register for Blinn classes before the NSC? we have Blinn email but not sure of next steps.

Yes, in fact it is encouraged to do so. The idea of Blinn Rellis is using session control at TAMU Dashboard to force Blinn Team students to take Math and Chem at Blinn Rellis. Try to make Blinn at MWF and TAMU at TTH (or vice versa) so less campus hopping.

1 Like

Who would we reach out to at Blinn to get advice on what courses to start with? She will be entering with 15 dual credit hours. We have the 2022 Public Health pathway on the required courses. We are thinking 9 hours at Blinn and 6 at TAMU campus.

So if my daughter selected waitlist and TEAM before we knew the advice to select TEAM only is there anything that can be done at this point to ensure at least a TEAM offer? Also, is there any guess on timeline for a decision. She is getting nervous with all the TEAM offers going out.

TAMU currently already have over 23000 Engineers (undergrad, masters, PhD, Galveston, McAllen) so that is not that hard to reach. But along with UT/UTD/Rice/TT, 55000 engineers are not even come close in replenishing retiring Texas engineers every year.

Instead of viewing how hard it is to reach 3.75, it may be more practical to learn how 350 ETAM engineers get 4.0 in their freshmen year. The preparation is at the senior year of high school.

Two Calculus (repeat of Calculus BC), two Science (AP Chem or AP Physics 1/2) and two engineering (Python top down coding) can be “easy” if high school seniors prepare now.

Another way of viewing prepartion is - if students struggle at their Calculus AB classes in 12th grade or getting a low AP CHEM score (or didn’t even take the tests), ETAM will be bad idea. In general if students score 4 or 5 in Calculus BC, AP Chem, AP Physics 1/2, ETAM is very manageable. If high school doesn’t offer some of those classes, students can download material and practice to see how well they can handle because self-study is how college works. In Junior or Senior engineer years, there are professors won’t even cover anything that is written on books and expect student self-study.

3 Likes

So if my daughter selected waitlist and TEAM before we knew the advice to select TEAM only is there anything that can be done at this point to ensure at least a TEAM offer? Also, is there any guess on timeline for a decision. She is getting nervous with all the TEAM offers going out.

From the Blinn contract link I sent earlier, the TCCNS codes on the middle column are the classes codes at Blinn Rellis. Once your student have access to Blinn portal, keep checking and soon Blinn will open Fall schedule and the student can register courses right away. Make sure the campus code is RL not other Blinn campuses.

It is likely your student can only register 6 hours core curriculum at TAMU. So make sure they count towards degree plan, any DC credits automatically claimed so your student may have to take tougher classes at TAMU.

1 Like