Texas A&M Class of 2027 Official Thread

@Tee2 posted this yesterday.
Zero to little chance at getting into Mays Business School, if offered the Opportunity Majors path.

2 Likes

Eeekkk! My daughter just got the Opportunities Major Admittance… she is beyond happy! But…… yeah, we didn’t do anything on housing in the fall as we honestly didn’t think she’d get in with what everyone was saying! Kudos to her but bad on us!

So what are our options and next steps for figuring out freshman housing? Help!

Thanks in advance!
Kristin

1 Like

@Kristin_Cooke congrats!

Can’t put down on campus housing deposit until offered acceptance, so there’s nothing you could’ve done. Dorms are full with a Wait List.
You could go ahead and add her to the Wait List, but I’d also suggest looking at off campus places to live. Check Wait List status before you sign an off campus lease tho…there is NO way to get out of an off campus lease

Make sure there is a major she’s interested in, also, from the Opportunity Majors list.

3 Likes

If you have no luck with on-campus housing, The Rise at Northgate just posted yesterday they have some relets. The Rise, right across the street from campus, has been full for several months, so it’s great they have some relets.

So many close off campus housing.

3 Likes

Your best bet would be Statistics. They offer minors in Business and Economics.

4 Likes

How can students complete 40 hours in one year?

1 Like

It would be incredibly difficult.

1 Like

Key words. Nephew was admitted to opportunity major after accepting WL and BT options. Has to decide on major. Wanted business and sports management.

1 Like

Sounds like the 40 hours don’t all have to be at TAMU, but 30 hours do. Guess they could count dual credit hours as part of the 10 needed in addition to 30 at TAMU.

2 Likes

So you MUST take 15 hours a semester the first year at TAMU AND have a 3.75 in order to do a change of major outside of the opportunity majors with this program, is that correct? My daughter was offered the “Opportunity Majors” admission, BUT she is already accepted and admitted at Galveston. Main campus was her back up because she really likes Galveston better, so we are just trying to understand the options…

1 Like

Seems like admin wants students to stick it out in the non-preferred major for at least year (I.e., 30 hours on campus) and give it a fair shot. The 40 hour total tells me that they expect most people will need a minimum of 1.5 years. By that point many may settle into their new major. If these are “extra” admits to fill in less desired initial entry majors, like the humanities, it will make transfer into popular majors like business, psychology, Allied Health, etc. even more challenging.

Pretty genius move to fill less desired majors and boost enrollment.

Based on @Klewis23 data below, it’s definitely going to be a minimum of 1.5 years before applying for transfer.

3 Likes

Looks like prior credit doesn’t count towards 40 hours

1 Like

@Klewis23 like I said above…it’ll be next to impossible to change majors into something that is ‘popular/competitive’.
Opportunity Majors seems similar to PSA, but offered on campus, at College Station. It IS a good opportunity, IF there’s a major student would be okay with…but don’t even think about switching majors.
It’s very clear. @tristatecoog agree…pretty genius!

3 Likes

Oh for sure, I wasn’t disagreeing. Someone shared that on a Facebook page and I hadn’t seen it posted before. Someone else indicated their school counselor was told do not go into this program expecting to change out of an opportunity major because not only will you need the GPA, it will be limited to available space .

3 Likes

I think my daughter will be staying put at Galveston. It was her first choice anyway, but we are thrilled that she got accepted to both TAMUG and TAMU! She is probably the only kid who treated TAMU as her back-up plan. She is majoring in Marine Fisheries.

2 Likes

Howdy! Our son also was offered the “three choices” on Jan 31 and he chose the option to be considered for BOTH (Waitlist & TEAM).

As of Mar 18 his AIS portal status has not changed (six weeks). His major is Construction Science (COSC) in School of Architecture.

QUESTION: Any idea what we might expect in the coming days/weeks? Any room for feeling optimistic/encouraged (it’s a longggg wait for these kiddos!)? Hoping for Blinn TEAM at this stage (not PSA or Oppor Major).

NOTE: I’ve read where some kids have received Blinn TEAM offers recently (but not sure what their majors were)?

These are his stats:

• Major: Construc Science (School of Architecture)
  • Corp of Cadets (Squad 17)
  • Air Force ROTC
  • HS Rank 20% (94 of 467)
  • Weighted GPA: 4.98
  • Unweighted GPA: 3.84
  • SAT 1200 (not submitted since “lowish”)
  • rigorous coursework (AP and dual credit) all four years
  • four year multi-sport athlete (baseball, football, wrestling)
  • tons of leadership and student activities (NHS, FCA, FFA, Young Life counselor)

Many thanks, friends!

Howdy! When and how would something like this take place? Do we initiate the conversation with admissions? Thanks!

Yep, 15 hours each semester to accomplish 30 hours at TAMU. And still, it doesn’t read that it’s a guarantee you’d still get to switch majors outside those offered in the program.

3 Likes

This wording is different than the 30/40 hour explanation on TAMU’s site for the 2022/23 school year. What you posted looks like it was on the AIS site and likely the newest info for 2023/24.