Texas A&M Class of 2027 Official Thread

Agreed. TAMU is still dishing out rejections with more likely to come when other major schools, like UT, did this a while back. Why is this? And to start giving people the Opportunity program without even sending an email to explain what it is is just bad. Communication seems to be a weakness at TAMU. Just because you get an abundance of applications is no need to treat hopeful students so shabby. One day I hope to change this — or at least shine a big spotlight on it.

5 Likes

From Office of Provost financial statement, 23% of TAMU expense came from tuition, over 50% still came from State and Federal government (this also mean if TAMU go “private” the tuition will become $57K/year). So safe-guarding taxpayers’ money is still their top priority. Money from sports and endowment cannot be used on student communications. TAMU has frequent communications with enrolled students and parents via email.

TAMU uses NSC registrations count to close off different majors (really considered full), so some get PSA earlier (when NSC full) than others. Technically, April 30th will be the final cut off of all those who pick anything with “waitlist”.

1 Like

When you say a parent should join one of the two parent pages are you referring to Facebook pages?

If so, I know about “Aggie moms and dads of current or new Texas A&M students”. Can you tell me what the other one is?

@Christa75 that’s the original FB Parent page-Aggie Moms/Dads, there’s also Aggie Parent page on FB- lots of helicopter parents, they allow straight Blinn & PSA parents.
What’s your students major? There are several major specific FB pages, which are super helpful!
Instagram really has the best pages to follow, especially for students. All the clubs/orgs are on there.
Here are several good, basic FB pages to ‘like’-

@Christa75 wait, y’all are BH?
Be sure to like/join these pages-

1 Like

Good to know. Thanks for sharing.

S23 OOS admitted to Galveston Engineering. Strange since we applied to College Station only and checked that we are not interested in other locations. Also, his 1st and 2nd majors were Computing and Technology management, and instead he gets general engineering. Not sure what it means and what to do now.

Everyone gets general engineering. Do you know a kit ETAM process? You need to research Tamu engineering. It’s a beast. If you got Galveston, you’ll just do first year there then transition to cstat. However if CS they offer it there as well so will need to look at that option to move or stay in Galveston

2 Likes

Our concern is that CS is not guaranteed, and he’s not interested in any other engineering major. So if he does not get into CS, he’s basically stuck with other engineering major that he has no interest in? That’s my understanding. Tough to pay OOS tuition for a non-guaranteed major I guess. That’s why we are concerned. Galveston as location is fine with us. We used to live in Houston years ago and familiar with the area. It’s the major acceptance process that worries us.

1 Like

That is very interesting as BA Computing and Technology Management are direct admits to major and don’t require first year General Engineering.

@LGN23 when did your student apply and what are his stats?

Applied early in October. Heard back in end of January.
OOS.
GPA: 3.89W SAT 1330

1 Like

My son found out today that he’s been waitlisted for the honors program at Texas A & M. I would have thought his grades and 36 ACT would have made him a candidate for honors. Wishing everyone all the best in their college decision. Today my son decided he will not be attending Texas A&M.

1 Like

Excellent point. I immediately thought they meant computer science. But If it’s BA computing, it is direct admit. And they wouldn’t be offered Galveston for this. Interesting.

@ririgirl Which honors program? University Honors or major specific?
I know for Business Honors, grades & scores are only part of what they’re looking for.

That’s why we are confused. We applied ONLY to cstat location for: Choice 1: BA Computing, Choice 2: Technology Management. Instead got Galveston Engineering…

Yeah that’s weird.

My daughter is Aero class of 24. After a surprising rejection from UT as an auto admit with a very competitive application, she got a nice handwritten note from A&M (I think it was Women in Engineering) that really made her feel good about choosing A&M. That note meant a lot to her after feeling very rejected by that other school.

5 Likes

We have met multiple students whose first choice was Computing who were nevertheless placed at Galveston. There must have been a substantial demand for the major this application season.

Galveston and McAllen are the same TAMU ETAM, they are not system schools in ETAM.
BA Computing is not the same as BS Comp Science, BA computing has 15 credits in Junior/Senior replaced with core curriculum and have no access to critical CS classes. It is intended for students enjoying liberal arts with a little more computer knowledge.
For students only want CS, going through ETAM can be risky unless they are well prepared in high school in AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry and AP Physics1/2/C.

Note that all engineering majors in TAMU have over 25+ credit hours of coding. One doesn’t really need to graduate with a CS degree to be in a CS jobs. On the other hand, 84% of CS students graduated with CS degree in the US are not working in programming or coding.

1 Like