Texas A&M Class of 2028 Official Thread

I’m pretty sure dual credit transfers completely, not like AP scores

I have a D23 and it was strongly stressed to us at NSC that ALL dual credit will be applied automatically per Texas law.

1 Like

Yikes. Good to know

I think I may have messed up with suggesting my son do collegiate HS. He started the cohort program in 9th grade to graduate with an associates degree. He has been auto admitted to college station and in review for engineering. He is taking college calculus, Chemistry and physics this year. I had already been warned that he will probably want to take calculus again from TAMU but it looks like we may have messed up according to this thread because of DC credits. He will have 62 (all credits count toward HS credits)… I see a lot of the auto admits have been accepted to general engineering the last few days. Wonder if I should have him talk to an advisor and see what path he should take or wait it out??? Any suggestions?

OOS / Engineering

3.9 UW
4.6 weighted
1420 SAT
AP Scholar with Distinction (about 8 or so AP classes so far, all passed)
Strong leadership and EC with verifiable results **
Received grant from NASA for research **
Currently taking Multivariable Calculus through local college
Applied within the first few weeks

** I think these items may set him apart from other students that may have higher stats.

3 Likes

You can verify if all those credits are applicable to engineering.

STEM classes offered for associate degrees at times are not the same as those in Engineering. Even if Calculus I and II are transferred, there are still differential equations, discrete math, Calculus III for your student to take for ETAM.

Students ahead of the schedule can always use tougher classes to satisfy ETAM.

If your student is auto there is nothing to worry about. Too many DCs affect more to holistic review applicants.

4 Likes

@Andrew8 unfortunately you can’t select/choose which dual credit you’d like to apply…DC applies automatically. AP credits are chosen if/when students decides to. It is stressed over & over…WAIT to accept AP, until meeting with advisor. It’s nice to have those hours ‘in your back pocket’, to use when needed.

The problem with DC really occurs when a student wants to apply for change of major at A&M. Mays & Econ for sure (and there are others) put a cap on max 60 hours. Zero wiggle room.
If you get accepted into a major you love, it won’t be a problem.

2 Likes

Thank you for your reassurance!! ETAM is worrying me with those harder classes. It looks like calculus 2413 and physics 2425 transfer but the chemistry class isn’t the correct one. I was hoping he could retake calculus but wasn’t sure if that was an option since he will already have credit for it. I was told it was better to take it from A&M. I’ve been so worried about the auto admit but not getting into general engineer. I will be so relieved once it shows up in AIS. We aren’t celebrating until we get that final admit. Thank you again for your time answering questions.

1 Like

Is there an option to just not submit any of the hours at all?

1 Like

@Andrew8 that I can’t answer. My Aggie did all college applications on her own, and she only took AP. I would assume the DC shows up on your high school transcript? Otherwise, how would you prove to colleges you have fulfilled all the needed courses/units for graduating?

Alright, thanks for the help. I assumed as such but didn’t know if there was some loophole. As long as I take 12 credit hours my first two semesters I’d still be open to internal transfer to Mays if I don’t get that as my first major.

1 Like

@Andrew8 that is definitely something you’ll want to discuss with Advisor during NSC. Go in with a plan, start taking the needed/required classes for change of major, as soon as possible.

Did you check the box when applying, you’d be open to Blinn TEAM? Hopefully so. There is a Mays ‘track’ in the Blinn TEAM program. TEAM can’t be applied for, can only be offered by A&M. Many of the classes offered at Blinn are 8 week courses, which can be fast paced and difficult, but strong students do fine.

If you’re talking about a change of major, you’ll need 30 complete TAMU hours to apply for change and certain courses complete with if that all the while fulfilling the degree plan of your current major.

2 Likes

Yes I did. Am hopeful with that at the least

2 Likes

Wait, I’m confused, Mays website saying dual credit classes in high school don’t account for the 60 hour total?

Right now, you can check your target degree plan and using the TCCNS course number conversion (Texas Common Course Numbering System < Texas A&M Catalogs < Texas A&M University, College Station, TX) to see how many hours of high school DCs are transferrable towards your target degree plan.

Your hope is as few matching as possible. But if you have history, government, economics and language classes in DC credits that match the degree plan, then you have only tougher classes left for the 30 TAMU hours for the change of major. At times some students can’t find enough hours for change of major because they are not allowed to register Business classes when they are not enrolled at the major.

That’s definitely new for the DC being excluded. That’s great but still hard to find other courses to take in a degree plan when a lot of core classes are already taken.

1 Like

Can you please tell me more about your thumbs down for UH program? My DD was going to apply but I don’t want her to waste her time. I’d love to hear your insight!

1 Like

@HS24and25mom sure! What majors did your daughter apply for?
Overwhelmingly at A&M, the major & college specific Honors programs are more highly regarded vs UH (University Honors). UH drops the ball, is FAR FROM anything remotely close to UT Plan II.

*UH requires living in Lechner or McFadden. Student can’t select room or even roommate.
*UH seems to be a lot of fluff initially-ice breakers, mandatory socials.
*UH is based on a points system.
*UH doesn’t ‘work well’ with other majors-meaning, the UH advisor is very ‘hands off’ when a UH student is trying to get forced into major specific honors classes. In upper level HNR classes, seats are available to those in the major specific HNR program (especially Eng & Mays), so a UH student won’t automatically get a seat.

If UH student can’t get into enough HNR sections, they are supposed to go to the professor and ask him to ‘make’ special work for the UH student. and call it an HNR class. Prof doesn’t have to.

I’d love to know retention rate of those that started out UH vs how many actually graduated UH. High rate drop out after freshman year.

UH students are guaranteed a bed in a Northside Modular…huge plus!

All 4 years my Aggie was on campus, UH sent out blanket emails in spring-pretty much to anyone with a 3.0-asking then to apply for UH.
No other major or college HNR program ‘solicits’ students.

The program could be so much better. Not all majors have an HNR program, so UH fulfills a need that way. Guess it depends on your daughter, also.
She can always apply and back out…BUT be sure to pay Housing deposit, so she keeps her place in dorms selection queue.

Happy to answer any other questions. Btw, my Aggie was Business Honors, her roomie was Engineering Honors, another friend was Communications Honors-so 3 different programs. And my Aggie had friends that started out in UH.
Hands down, major/college HNR programs are the way to go…but not all majors have HNR. UH does appeal to some, but it’s a shame it isn’t a ‘showcase’ honors program.

1 Like

@friscodad & @52AG82

For National Recognition Award recipients, what is the time frame when the financial offer would be extended specifically for that category? Is there a second timeline for any additional funding, or does all get packaged together?

DS’s application has already been submitted as of last week.

Stats:

DS will be automatically admitted. Including classes this year, he will have 70 transferable college credit hours through AP, Dual Credit, and college credits he earned at the local community college.

SAT Score: 1530 (first and only try)

National Recognition Recipient
National Merit Commended Award (index score of 216)
AP Scholar with Distinction

Desired Major: Electrical Engineering or Aerospace Engineering