Texas A&M Class of 2028 Official Thread

I have a friend with a 3.6 GPA and 1450 SAT who got into Mays three weeks ago.

2 Likes

@AggieLove your friend got accepted into General Engineering, not CompSci. Still great, especially if holistic, but all start out in General Engineering.

2 Likes

Which Facebook group do you follow? I was trying to find one that is for students applying but are not yet accepted.

1 Like

Is there anyone here whose school uses Xello who has sent a transcript to TAMU Galveston? The school is not listed in Xello, so I am unsure how to go about it. I have emails in to our counselor and transcript office, but we are out in fall break, so I was just curious if anyone else had come across this. Galveston doesn’t use the SRAR.

My son’s application is in engineering review. He has not yet received admission decision (he is an auto-admit), but his Howdy portal has all 7 tabs and I was able to login to Housing portal. So, I assumed he is probably admitted, just has not yet received an email. Am I doing this too early? Should we wait for official admission before trying to deal with Housing? I do not see an option to pay housing deposit anywhere on his Housing portal.

1 Like

Texas A&M class of 2028

Is there any special application for scholarships at TAMU other than filling out Scholarship section in CommonApp and FAFSA ?

@natdav789 he won’t be able to get into Housing portal and pay deposit until he’s been officially accepted, which can take 24-48 hours after tabs appear.
Important for student to be checking, as they’ll need to send an email to the parent, during the 2 step deposit process. Parents can get access to a limited Parent Howdy closer to the start of fall semester.

thank you, 52AG82!

1 Like

Congrats!

2 Likes

My non-auto admit, non-engineering/bus major D24 was accepted last Thursday, the 5th. We did not expect a decision until December and just happened to log in late thursday night and got her acceptance into Public Health! About 12th percentile class rank, 1310 SAT, 4.18 GPA. We were so surprised and excited!

8 Likes

This is amazing. Congratulations!

1 Like

what was her unweighted GPA

You have to use the link that is listed on the “AIS” Admitted page. The link is about half way down in the body of the paragraph.

2 Likes

@braintop I want to warn you that if you are counting on a big financial aid award from TAMU and cannot attend without it, you should have backup plans. Just because your EFC is low does not mean TAMU will make up the difference between that and the cost of attendance. In my experience they are extremely stingy with any scholarships or financial aid and give only a small fraction of what other schools offered. For example, an EFC of $8,000 resulted in a financial aid award of $1500 for the entire year. Other schools offered $15k or more per year.

4 Likes

@RBT26 i wouldn’t call it ‘stingy’, especially when you’re talking about 12k+ in an incoming freshman class. But :100: agree that unless NM S/F or from a designated Century Scholar School, don’t count on any scholarship money. I have heard most in the Corps of Cadets get scholarship money, but I’m sure the amount varies greatly.

A&M doesn’t ‘woo’ OOS students, by offering in-state waivers, they also don’t ‘match’ offers from other universities…they simply don’t have to.

If you’re needing hefty financial aid, or counting on scholarships, A&M isn’t the school.
They DO give a lot of scholarships, but mainly to very high achievers (NM) and need based (Century Scholars).

1 Like

She applied to several different schools and they all calculate GPA differently so I don’t remember exactly … but very close to a 4.0. Maybe 3.9. She had two B’s total in high school … one in Pre AP Biology freshman year and one in Pre AP Pre-Cal Junior year.

2 Likes

My D23 had a 5 in AP Seminar and the advisors at the Bush School weren’t quite sure what she could use it for, but left it open to possibly do something with it later. i know that’s not very helpful, but a benefit from that course is that it really prepares you for college work.

May I ask how did you submit the AP scores? When my son submitted his common app, TAMU does not download the grades information including SAT and AP scores. He sent in SAT from College Board, should he also send in AP scores? Thank you!

You can wait till he gets admitted.