Texas A&M Class of 2028 Official Thread

@NTXMama In the past, general engineering wasn’t an option for desired major, although all freshman engineers are put in general engineering. IMO, first choice major should be based on the students passion towards that major and hopefully that is the major they want anyway. Their passion towards a major should come across in their app by the classes they have taken, extracurriculars, hobbies, jobs, essay, etc. The chart below lists talent/ability as very important and perhaps this is talent/ability toward their intended major since talent/ability are already accounted for in other rows of the chart?

Of course this is my opinion but I do believe that tamu notices holistic apps who have a clear direction and will (hopefully) graduate in four years. Not to put down students who change major but it does take up resources (advisors, taking classes that eventually dont count towards major, etc)

tamuadmissions

1 Like

My son has submitted his application. When should he receive a UIN number, in order to link his SRAR to the AIS system? Thanks!

1 Like

3-5 business days after applying

1 Like

Thank you!

FYI, our son received the email with his UIN this morning.

4 Likes

When did he get his app in? Was he top 10%?

He got his app in 8/1 in the morning some time. No, he’s not 10%.

1 Like

For those waiting/ keeping track: Son applied 8/1 and also received UIN today about 75 hours after application submitted. Srar linked right after. Dual credit transcripts sent. Whew.

2 Likes

Does your application say “submitted” in Common App, or “downloaded by university” or something similar to that?

He used Apply Texas. He received an email shortly after submission from apply Texas with a submitted application number . I hadn’t used the common app ,sorry.

1 Like

Daughter applied in the morning of 8/1
AIS Portal opened 8/3
Stats:
Homeschooled - No rank
1460 SAT
3.91 UW
4.53 Weighted GPA
34 completed Dual Enrollment units.
Hoping for Mays

She linked the SRAR and ordered test scores from the college board. Should I (as hs counselor) upload her official transcript or request the official one from her community college?

1 Like

I know A&M is not generous in scholarships, did I need to enter our incomes in the scholarship section of the Common App? can I just leave it blank?

@emanyoussef are you the parent or student?

parent

@emanyoussef can’t answer specifically to your original question, my Aggie did it all.
The bulk of A&M scholarships tend to go towards need based, targeted Century Scholar schools and NM S/F. Mays specifically gives the bulk of their scholarships to Business Honors students.
A&M DOES give a lot of scholarships, but mainly to very specific students.
There’s also an opportunity every year for students to apply for Returning Students scholarships.
But the ‘big’ scholarships for incoming freshman will primarily go to need based and/or very high achieving and/or NM S/F.

3 Likes

We have always requested cc transcripts and mailed our official but not final homeschool transcript and transcript legend/ school profile as soon as we have a UIN number. We do put the UIN number on every document just in case it gets lost or separated. Hope that helps !

If you want any money at all I would fill it out. My daughter got merit scholarships from TAMU (not needs based) and we were grateful for any little bit.

1 Like

Need advice on test optional. Daughter is one outside of top 10%, 4.43 GPA, resume full of leadership, volunteer hours, captain positions, etc. Took all honors/AP/DC high rigor courses our school offered. She has never done well on standardized testing and the ACT was no different. She has taken it for a year after test prep & still testing at a 24 composite.

I’m not as expert as some others here but I would tell you daughter to go TO. As our HS counselor said, once the admissions office sees that 24 they can’t unsee it. If she hasn’t been accepted by January, you can send in her senior year grades and see if she’s been bumped into the top 10%. there can still be movement like that as some seniors start to blow off school or aren’t taking as rigorous courses.

Editing to add my D23 started off senior year top 10% and at semester break was top 7% because she was still taking all AP classes and others… weren’t

1 Like

I really appreciate the advice. So if they move up into top 10% they can report after the May cutoff for auto admits? Thank you again for any help! :slight_smile:

4 Likes