Texas A&M Dorms

@wadp09 It looks to me like that could have an adverse effect on your choice. If your roommate couldn’t get hullabaloo, then I think you’d get the next choice that you both could get.

Anybody know which modular dorms on the Northside have been renovated? Specifically, which ones do not have carpet? I heard that Hobby has laminate flooring, but Neely still has carpet. What about McFaddin and Lechner? Will there be any renovations of them this summer?

@lessonwitch2 I am a freshman at A&M right now and living on campus can be beneficial because you are close to your classes and on campus dining and the traffic in College Station gets really bad in the morning and afternoon. That being said the dorms are not very nice and while they are doing some renovations on them and they just built the Commons on southside, they are still dorms and they get loud and dirty.
Also to anyone who does decide to live on campus next year considering joining FLOC (freshman leadership on campus). We are a FLO (freshman leadership organization) that is designed specifically for freshman living on campus. It’s a great way to get involved on campus and make lots of friends! You will learn more about FLOs during fish camp and the first week of fall classes, but keep in mind FLOC!

Not to hijack the dorms on campus, but our daughter did not get accepted till early last month, and she did really wanted her own bath. So, we looked at several places this weekend that had space available. She wanted a private bathroom we wanted something with good access to the bus routes. Being fair, we looked at Traditions first and the renovations they are making made it look pretty good. We final choice was Uclub townhomes. They got good reviews, are on the bus routes and are very affordable. Maybe next year she can get into the apartments on campus.

Also I didn’t apply for on campus housing until late March and I still got my first choice dorm. They have plenty of space on campus so if you really want to live in a dorm just apply! :slight_smile:

@thundermichigan , they have completely changed the dorm system this year from last year.

@AGmomx2 where did you read that? If you are talking about the 30 days priority registration then that was the same way it has been for a couple of years now.

"Texas A&M University has implemented freshman priority assignments in all Residence Halls and at White Creek Apartments beginning Fall 2015.
Students must be officially admitted to Texas A&M before they are eligible to apply for on-campus housing and every effort will be made to accommodate as many freshmen as possible. Housing assignments will be made on a first-come, first-served basis—established by the housing priority date, which is defined as the date the housing application, including fee, is received in the Housing Assignments Office. Priority housing will be given to freshmen who apply for housing within 30 days of being admitted to Texas A&M, if space is available. Apply as soon as possible because space is limited.

Freshmen who apply for housing after 30 days of being admitted to Texas A&M will be considered for on-campus housing—if space is available and after all other priority students have been accommodated. All housing assignments will be based on the housing priority date, so the sooner students apply, the greater chance of getting their top choice of housing options. Admitted students can apply for housing on the Texas A&M University myHousing Portal."

The dorm assignment process has changed, previously reslife decided who went where (& the latest roommate was the assigned priority, now it is the earliest), now the students pick their own dorm and room. Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe this is completely different to your experience last year - here are the procedures:

Room Selection is a period of time where a particular group of students are able to select a room assignment through the myHousing Portal for a room in which they are eligible (i.e. classification, gender, living learning program, etc.).
During the period of room selection, roommate pairs can also be established. Instructions for this process are below.

Before Room Selection:

Students must have completed an application for on campus housing and be in a community/building eligible for room selection.

After completing your contract, complete the following to request a roommate:

Login to the myHousing Portal, if not already logged in
Click “My Home”
Click “Select Roommate Requests”
Follow the prompts on the page. (You will need the last name and date of birth of anyone that you would like to request.)
Check to see if your requested roommate is “Confirmed”. If not, have your requested roommate follow these steps to request you.
Due to limited space availability, we strongly encourage mutually requested roommates to discuss their priorities and come up with the list of buildings and room types that they are interested in before Room Selection begins.
During Room Selection:

For the best chance to get the building and room type that you and your mutually requested roommate(s) would like, the individual with the earliest Room Selection start time in your roommate group should select a room/suite/apartment for your group.

NOTE: You should check your assignment as soon as your Room Selection window opens, to ensure you were assigned as expected by any requested roommates. If you were not assigned by another student, you should select a room as soon as your Room Selection window opens.

As soon as your Room Selection window opens, complete the following to select a room:

Login to the myHousing Portal, if not already logged in
Click “My Home”
Click “Room Selection”
Follow the prompts on the page.
Special Note for Roommate Requests during Room Selection:

Mutually requested roommates can be assigned as a group by the first person in the group with a room selection window. However, once a student has been assigned to a space, whether the student assigned him/herself or was assigned by a mutually requested roommate, the student cannot later be moved by a requested roommate. If roommates wish to relocate to a different space after the group has been assigned, each student will need to move themselves to the new space.

Strategies, If Desired Space is Not Available

If there is not space available for you and your roommate(s) in the building and/or room type you want when it is time to select a room:

First Step
Do 1 or more of the following:

Select a space in a different building. Example: if your group of 4 wanted a White Creek Apartment, try a The Gardens apartment instead.
Select a different room type. Example: if your group wanted an apartment, but none are available, try selecting a suite together instead.
Drop one or more of your requested roommates and/or break into smaller groups since smaller groups or individuals will have better chances of finding space than larger groups.
Next Step:

Look for a better match by checking back on myHousing Portal as often as you would like – THIS IS YOUR BEST CHANCE!
Submit a reassignment request over the summer once it is available (typically in May/June) — ONLY DO THIS IF ALL ELSE FAILS