Texas A&M or Michigan State University for Engineering?

So, till two weeks ago, I was decided on attending Texas A&M, but MSU offered about $19,000 worth of scholarship and I got into the honors college as well.

Now I’m really confused as to where I should go- my heart is set out on TAMU and I’ve already paid the deposit there, but MSU seems like a more sensible choice, considering the amount of money we would save, and the fact that I got into the honors college. My parents will be taking a loan to finance my education and if I choose to go to MSU, we will be saving about $15,000- which is a lot of money.

My parents are willing to pay the full tuition for TAMU, and have left the final decision- regarding which university I want to attend- to me.

Also, will the school I get my bachelors degree in matter, when I apply to grad school?

My major is Engineering (Mechanical) and I want to study Statistics as well. What should I do? I’m extremely confused. There are barely any days left for May 1st.

I’m an international student.

That is a choice only you can make. Texas has milder winter’s. Texas can be hot and humid. East Lansing Michigan today is high of 58 degrees. College Station is high of 89. $15K is a lot of money. East Lansing (population 48K) is 5 miles from the state capitol of Lansing, and a big city. College Station is a country town population of 100K. Austin, Houston and Dallas/Fort Worth (to compare with Lansing) is 107, 95 and 175 miles respectively.
Being a Texan, I love my state. It’s not just a place, it is a state of mind. I am sure Michigan is nice, too. It’s just not Texas. TAMU has an amazing network, unmatched school spirit and traditions. If that’s not your thing, Michigan may be just as nice. E Lansing is close to Lake Michigan and a beautiful, cold part of the country.
The climates are vastly different. Which do you prefer? Will you be staying in the US during the summers? Michigan has great summer weather. Summer highs are in the 80’s where in Texas, it can be well over 100 degrees for weeks. However, during the school year, the lows are bitter cold, well into the low teens with a high below freezing,and you’re headed to class at 8:30 am.

Just something else to ponder.

@Thelma2 Thank you for your input :slight_smile:
The weather at Michigan was in fact the primary reason why I was unsure of committing there in the first place.
But then again, if I go there, i’ll be able to experience something new.

@elysium305 - We live in Arizona. My oldest son is finishing his sophomore year at TAMU in Aerospace Engineering… My youngest son is likely to pick MSU on May 1 to study mechanical engineering. I graduated from MSU. You have a tough choice, but fortunately two great options.

In a straight-up comparison, TAMU’s engineering college is higher rated than MSU’s. TAMU’s career fair is quite a bit larger, more companies recruit there, and the Aggie Network is incredible. TAMU’s facilities are also better. On the other hand, MSU’s engineering graduates still have a very high placement rate. Honestly, an engineering graduate with good grades will find a good job regardless of where he goes. The Texas economy is stronger and more diverse than Michigan’s.

TAMU’s engineering department is going through some growing pains as part of the 25x25 initiative. My son does not even have an advisor right now because the last AE advisor resigned. MSU’s department is smaller. I like the MSU CoRe program, where freshman engineering students live together in the same dorm, very close to the engineering and math buildings. Freshman engineering classes, offices, and labs are in the same dorm or dorm complex. At MSU, you are admitted to your major. At TAMU, you will have to compete to get into your major after freshman year.

You’ve covered climate. My son is from Arizona, so the heat doesn’t bother him. The humidity, wind, and rain do bother him quite a bit. Winters in East Lansing can be brutal, like two years ago, or mild like this year. The x factors with central-Michigan winters are the very short days and the overcast, gray skies. You can go a week without ever seeing the sun. Fall and spring are pretty awesome though.

MSU has a much better dormitory system than does TAMU. It is far larger and is organized into neighborhoods. Dining options are far more varied and IMHO the food is better. If you want to, you can live on campus all four years.

Both schools have very good sports programs, but just about every school takes a back seat to TAMU when it comes to fan support and enthusiasm. TAMU’s school traditions are also second to none. MSU has the same relationship to Michigan that TAMU has to Texas. Spartans hate wolverines just like Aggies hate longhorns. MSU and TAMU are both land-grant universities with huge agricultural programs.

I agree that there is more to do off campus at MSU than at TAMU, but not by a wide margin. It is easier to walk to off-campus attractions at MSU. MSU is part of a larger urban area than TAMU, but it is hardly Dallas or Houston.

One other possibly relevant factor. MSU is more diverse. TAMU is 96% in-state students and only 1.3% international students. MSU is 87% in-state and has 13% international students. However, TAMU students are very friendly. My Arizona son has made great friends at TAMU.

Finally, the MSU Honors College is one of the oldest in the US and is a plus.

I hope this helps. Good fortune to you whichever school you pick.

@Beaudreau This was really helpful. Thank you!

Also regarding the advisor issue, I got this email from TAMU a couple of days back-

" As a first year engineering student, you will have access to academic advising in various ways. Beginning in the fall semester, you can attend in-person, one-on-one advising sessions with your advisor or participate in online advising sessions using WebEx. WebEx allows students to video chat, text chat or audio chat with their advisors from the comfort of their residence halls or apartments. WebEx also allows students to call-in using their cell phones, tablets or laptops.
Around the time of major deadlines, such as the deadline to add or drop a class, advisors offer after-hour online advising via WebEx for students who are unable to meet with their advisors during regular business hours."

I’d go where they offer more $$, & where the total costs would be less expensive overall. Both are great schools.