Texas A&M University Class of 2026

Any thoughts on when the next round of acceptance announcements will go out? We knew because our school doesn’t rank we would be review, it just gets harder to wait

1 Like

Very hard to wait. I went through the notes we took over the summer at the zooms with TAMU and they all mentioned hearing late January or March. The wait is discouraging for sure. I just keep reminding myself that TAMU though competitive, if they really are looking holistically -my daughter is a great candidate. Only auto admit have received offers at my daughters school. My daughter has been accepted into the honors program at another school, yet she would take Blinn Team to be at TAMU.

2 Likes

It’s possible there could be one more in December, but more than likely it’ll be after the break.

With all this discussions about engineering and holistic admissions, I went looking for data. Per 2018-19 stats, A&M Engineering admitted 58% of applicants and had a 39% yield.

Pure speculation here, but my guess is the AO’s focus until winter break will be on Engineering applicants. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe those who applied Engineering before 10/15 are guaranteed some sort of answer by 12/15. I would not be surprised if all the attention is aimed at meeting the 12/15 deadline, meaning non-engineering applicants still waiting will need to keep waiting until January. I may be wrong, of course, but that is what I told my DS to mentally prepare ourselves.

P.S. Anyone else buy all kinds of A&M apparel for their kiddo for Xmas and are now thinking to yourself, yikes, the timing of this gift may not work out too well?!?

1 Like

Major is irrelevant? They’ll let anyone into any major at A&M expect engineering on a first come, first served basis without considering their specific qualifications for that major? That certainly doesn’t promote excellence.

Just for perspective, my son was an engineering applicant last year and submitted his application early in August. He had a 3.53 uw/4.43 w (I think) GPA and scored a 1330 SAT. Unfortunately, he did not make the top quarter. He didn’t hear back until February but was accepted to A&M Galveston. I am sure A&M is serious about their holistic review.

I don’t want anyone to lose hope. Ultimately, A&M really does want to provide a route for kids to attend the school. It just may not be the straight path people expects.

5 Likes

If it’s at all helpful, around 50 applicants who applied before the 10/15 deadline from my son’s HS haven’t heard yet, either.

2 Likes

My daughter was adamant about only wanting A&M no matter how she gets there. We applied 8/1 hoping to get a chance to hear earlier. So I bought these Adidas special edition A&M ultra boost shoes months ago before they sold out in her size (thinking it’d be a great Xmas gift) but now thinking we won’t know til after Xmas probably. Having confirmed with her A&M admissions advisor that Mays is full and she will probably be looking at Econ or possibly not even Econ if full, now she’s having second thoughts about A&M while she’s been contacted on a regular basis by other schools for business that she’s been accepted to. Maybe she’s just feeling down at the moment because she’s had friends who applied later with lower stats (diff major ofcourse) get A&M offers already but thinking I might be listing those shoes on ebay in the next month or two if she’s really starting to lean elsewhere more.

I know how she feels. I got scholarships to LSU and ole miss to be in their honors business programs. TAMU’s admission process really sucks, but she really should stick it out. I’ve been a die hard Aggie since I was a baby so I knew I needed to go here. If she really loves the school she won’t regret sticking it out by doing PSA or blinn team if she doesn’t get in. It really is worth it in the end if this is her #1. Later on she’ll regret not having that Aggie ring when talking to other Aggies.

1 Like

Well sorry you don’t agree with it but this how a lot of schools operate including other top universities like University of Florida.

1 Like

I prefer this method as well, because it prevents people from cheating the system by choosing art majors. Don’t see how this method doesn’t promote excellence because they’re not going to let in subpar students because they chose a major most people don’t chose.

@1stCollegeRodeo , you are right , there is no telling how TAMU does the holistic review. My son’s friend with lower stats ( very minimum APs ) has already been accepted. Of course he thinks his friend got in because he is the first to go to college in his family so not sure if race, socio economic background and all that is also taken into consideration.

That is exactly what I’m saying and how it is. They look at the qualifications of a student to succeed at tamu. Then if their intended major is still opoen, they will admit them to that major. Engineering is the only major at this time that has another review process. Think about it this way… how many 18 year olds will show enough aptitude for a specific major? Many end up changing majors anyway, so why should they focus on the desired major as an acceptance requirement vs. the quality of a student in general?

For transfers, this is not the case. It is totally based on the major once you have the requirements met to apply for transfer.

4 Likes

My daughter’s high school counselor told her TAMU admissions is a mixed bag every year so it was hard to advise her if she’d have a decent shot of getting in. She said in years past, she saw kids she thought were practically guaranteed get rejected while kids she thought were long shots get accepted. To put it in perspective, she told me that my daughter she should apply because she is right up there with the typical profiles that get accepted but also advised TAMU doesn’t necessarily look for well rounded students as much and they want a well rounded freshman class. That makeup of the freshman class varies year to year. Simply put, how many other kids have a profile identical to my daughter that year applying and that decides her chances if they want diversity in their freshman class.

5 Likes

Wow don’t be so down. Haven’t heard many Econ acceptance.

2 Likes

Except that UF lets everyone know their result on one date (Feb 25). They have the same process for engineering as well. The “admit until we’re full” process is fair as long as everyone knows that they need to apply early and not just by the deadline.

2 Likes

You think Mays is full with acceptances or just full with them putting offers out? Thinking maybe spots could open as some decline?

They offer X amount knowing they’ll yield the desired amount around 1000 to 1100. They don’t open up spots per se, but I have seen them change a TEAM business student to Mays. Only once though. Typically when they say it’s full in November… it’s full.

2 Likes

So should students change major online in application to second choice major? Or does admissions really look to offer you your second choice major next?