Texas A&M University Class of 2026

That rude email did NOT mean your daughter won’t get full admission. They just did a bad job with it - it was very confusing.

3 Likes

I couldn’t agree more. Reading people (who are in) commenting ‘Well A&M is a really competitive school’ is also grating because that isn’t the point. Other schools which are competitive have better communication and quicker turn time.

2 Likes

The University of Georgia has one of the best admission blogs with admission communication I’ve ever seen in my years with my kids applying to colleges. They’re very entertaining to read as well. I sometimes just go to read them because of that.

2 Likes

Me too! Amazing communication.

1 Like

Didn’t get non-direct options email this weekend. Do you think that is a bad thing, or perhaps an issue with application?

It went into my son’s spam/ junk mail. You might check there.

You are right. Thank you!!

1 Like

So hope you are right. My daughter got accepted direct into CU Boulder Aerospace a few days ago but TAMU is still 1st choice. We are in Dallas (private school) and although she has a great resume, she is listed 2nd quarter in her application. Her high school doesn’t rank :roll_eyes:so all she knows is her GPA is 4.2 weighted. Not sure how confident I am about direct admit to TAMU.

1 Like

CU Boulder Aerospace is top notch its graduate program ranks about the same as TAMU. If admitted, there will be a lot to think about as TAMU has ETAM process.

My daughter is like yours. High school says they don’t provide a rank outside of top 10% but it’s a competitive 6A. She’s got a 3.95uw/4.8 weighted but shows as 2nd quarter in AIS. Other than that, everything else looks great on her app but 2nd quarter rank has me kinda worried too. She did have friends in 3rd quarter rank get accepted last year in engineering who said TAMU was easier than high school in freshman year by comparison. At least we know she’ll be well prepared wherever she lands but still hanging on to hear from A&M.

1 Like

I know. I’m so torn. There is a big price difference of course but we took a tour of Boulders new Aerospace building a few months ago and I can’t convey into words how amazing it was. I know nothing about engineering. My family is either business or medical. Also, I have no engineers to ask for advice sadly

I would hope she would think classes are easy as well but I don’t know… all I see is the engineering kids at TAMU desperate for tutors. My daughter says they probably are going out instead of studying but it still worries me. Until this year, I would have thought private high school was the best option especially in DISD but if I could do it again- I would move and send her to one of these public schools that have soooo many more STEM classes like intro to engineering or learning to code in python. Current high school has none of that.

My son’s scholarship disappeared from the awards portal too. But I did find where you generate the financial aid letter. And not only the previous scholarship was listed but an extra one! Check it and see if the same happens to you…
Under the financial aid portal, select “academic year 2021-2022”, then click on the link at the top where it says “Click here for your printable version of your award letter,” the aid year “2023” appears and then you can press “view letter”. This generated a pdf showing the scholarships your OOS has .

1 Like

I see two scholarships. Anyone know what ¨FEA¨ is?

I has also been mentioned on lots of threads and in articles on the internet that Texas A&M has grade deflation.

Can you explain what ‘grade deflation’ means?

My guess is Foundation Excellence Award.

1 Like

@TexasTiger2 , what exactly is grade deflation ? will this hurt or help the freshman applicants?

Yes. I had a child interested in premed, where if you don’t have a GPA above a 3.8 you are likely not getting in, so looking at schools that practiced grade inflation (Brown is probably the best example) versus grade deflation was #1 in my book (not my kid’s of course). There are schools that make you work for your grade. There are others that want to make the consumer (the parent and/or child) happy with their product. If school “A” gave everyone B’s all the time, but school “C” gave everyone A’s, which would you choose? So there are many articles that show over time how grades have risen over the past several decades. There are many professors at universities who disagree with this trend of “if you participate you get an A”. They want people to have to earn their A. Here’s an article: https://www.gradeinflation.com/
You can also find professors open letters. I remember reading that someone who actively pushed grade deflation at another school (U of South Carolina maybe? I don’t remember) was actually hired at A&M and the article said the hire was to push that arm (grade deflation) of the university.

(Sorry - just noticed I replied to myself - time to get some coffee)

1 Like

Hurt. If you look at the charts on https://www.gradeinflation.com/ you can see that A&M is on the low end compared to other schools. The average GPA at A&M is lower than other schools as well - at the bottom you can see charts of average GPAs and compare to other schools’.

1 Like