Texas A&M University Class of 2026

I know this topic has been discussed on this thread before but I can’t seem to find it easily. With regards to dual credit courses, I know that those credits transfer (as opposed to AP where you can decline to take your credit), can you repeat the class at TAMU if you’ve already taken a dual credit class for it in high school. We are nervous about the ETAM process and wanted to make sure the classes he took for the fall wouldn’t be so overwhelming with the transition to college. In AIS, under things to do after admission, there was the “send college transcript.” In requesting his college transcript be sent directly to TAMU, we noticed that he received 8 credits in chemistry (4 for fall and 4 for the spring) for his AP DC chemistry class taught at his school. Will this hurt his chances of taking Chem 107/117 (or whatever the corresponding equivalent is at Blinn since he’s TEAB) or will he have to take the next level up since he already has the DC?

You can retake the classes in TAMU.

Just checking if there have been any new acceptances/ options today? This prolong wait has been stressful :frowning:

5 Likes

So if he has already taken both Calculus AB and BC (he scored a 5 on the AB exam and is currently taking BC this year) and he got a 3 on his Chem AP and a 4 on his Comp Sci A exam, he can retake all those classes at TAMU without any problems (we don’t mind paying for the classes, we just want to help the ETAM process be a little less stressful if possible). Sorry if I’m being repetitive, just nervous about ETAM.

Yes during NSC just talk to advisor (when registering classes) that you do not want to claim credits from the AP exam. At this moment, make sure you do not accept the AP credits in AIS portal.
TAMU actually prefers students taking their classes to have a fairer ETAM process. And you can imagine the ETAM is in place because of the auto-admit law. Not all top 10% applicants have the same capability acadmeically.

3 Likes

What about the dual credit, can you repeat those classes? That’s the one I’m unsure of.

DCs will be shown on the transcript in the form of TCCNS codes, but it won’t stop student from re-taking the equivalent classes in TAMU.
Of course the situation is not the same for transfer students.

You just gave me the answer I was looking for. He will be entering as a freshman. When he signed up for the AP DC chemistry class, we had no idea about how dual credit would really be treated from a college perspective. He did well in the class and earned an A so the community college transcript that he earned his credit from looks good but we all agree, it would be to his benefit to retake the chemistry 107/117 equivalent at Blinn for his first semester. Thank you for putting my mind at ease.

1 Like

Yes. Most STEM Freshmen classes are very “old-school”. In the sense that it has traditional 3 exams + final + assignments+labs. Each exam is similar (but longer) than an official AP college board test. TAMU don’t curve or limit the number of “A” in class (no grade inflation) but if a student work through all the tasks and get good test grades, an “A” is not that diffcult.

For instance, once a student get an “A” in CHEM107, TAMU is confident that student has all the knowledge to handle CHEM120 and then CHEM227 in sophomore. There were students claiming away CHEM117/120 and found it hard to jump start CHEM227.

1 Like

We don’t want him claiming any credit for the first year. This information is extremely helpful. Thank you!

1 Like

Hi Friscodad, I know scheduling NSC is a form of acceptance, is going to earliest possible NSC better? Do parents get to talk to advisors?

There are plenty of classes sessions so NSC is not really first come first serve anymore, however, you may still want to schedule earlier ones as late June or July can be too hot to walk around campus. (They make you walk north to south between sessions and lunch…)
Students will separate from parents in an auditorium where parents continue to watch TAMU junior and senior talk about TAMU traditions. Students will go in groups to see advisors on a one-to-one basis. So that means no parents with kids on discussing with advisors. That also means a student need to be well-prepared visiting advisors to make sure the process is not taking too long.
Once accepted Student’s howdy should have GDR access (it is public anyway), and student can assign parents separate access. (So parents should stop messing with their student’s portal). Note that in years many student uses GDR to guage which session/professors are “easier”, that usually backfires. For freshmen years, classes are not curved so as long as your student works hard, you will get good results.

Another reason for not going to NSC too late is that, if your student have a hard time waking up early for a 7:30am class, going to NSC earlier to pick later sessions will be preferrable.

The best choice of hotel during the NSC is on-campus Texas A&M Hotel and Conference Center, https://www.texasamhotelcc.com/ this fills up fast and almost impossible to reserve during game day. But TAMCC is sure a nice experience.

1 Like

@PlanoAggies parents do not meet with advisors or help with registration; student & advisor only.
Personally I would avoid the very earliest NSC, especially if it is before your graduation. The earliest can be hectic & unorganized, guaranteed to have computers crash at some point. Graduate first, then schedule NSC.
My Aggie did mid July NSC and registered in under 2 minutes, got every class she wanted. They really do open sections of classes at every NSC.
In 2019, parents stayed in Rudder or MSC the entire day 1, zero walking around campus. Day 2 is at the major specific building.
Do not wait and schedule August NSC.

1 Like

How much do Duel credits and AP credits for AP classes, then AP tests taken weigh in on admission? I ask my son goes to a private school where he is in all the honors and advanced classes, but they have only one actual certified AP class and he only took one AP test. He is a Bio major applicant.

Looking at all these other posts it seems like everyone here is arriving for AP classes during high school ( as many as possible), AP tests passed with college credit (as many as possible), duel credits (don’t even know what that is), and high SAT scores.

@misterhemmings it kinda drives me crazy that there isn’t a state wide regulation, regarding DC (dual credit) and AP. In our district, AP classes must be taken, in order to get more points toward gpa. AP are 5 pts, DC are 4.5 pts and regular academic classes are 4 pts. But some districts weight them equally, some count DC the most. It’s crazy. Some districts are on a 6 or scale, too.

Entering with a lot of DC (courses taken via a local community college-so the level of rigor isn’t consistent) can be a bummer, as DC applies automatically. For example, Mays doesn’t allow internal change of major transfers with more than 60 hours. If a kid comes in with 45 DC, takes 15 hours in the fall then decides to try and change majors, he’s got too many hours for several majors. Too many DC can also suck up electives and force students into upper level classes sooner then they should be.
But some districts only offer DC, some offer both.

AP is applied as needed/wanted. So coming in with whatever amount of AP is fine! AP is a standardized test, so rigor is consistent.
A&M definitely looks at the number of AP & DC classes, plus those that submitted ACT and SAT. Those with more AP show rigor, and high test scores can certainly help.

I may not have answered what you were asking…

1 Like

At my son’s school, the dual credit were also AP courses and taught at the school and not at a community college. However, since the teacher who taught the course was also accredited to teach at the cc, they offered DC if you registered with the local college. But knowing what I know now, I think I would have declined the DC portion and just stuck with the AP portion.

1 Like

@e2e yes, I said via community college-that’s basically what our district did also, teachers were teaching the cc curriculum, students were signed up under the cc. Our DC weren’t even offered until Sr year, and then it was only basics. We’re a heavy AP district.
I’ve never heard of co-DC & AP!
See what I mean, the state needs to make a uniform decision about DC and AP, as far as point scale. Some small, remote districts may not even have access to either, which puts them at a disadvantage. And some districts are really pushing this new trend of getting an ‘associates degree’ via JuCo/CC. Can be good, but can also cause a ton of issues once they get to college (the whole DC applies automatically, so freshman are thrown into upper level classes, they can’t switch majors).
I’ve got a junior Aggie…so happy this process is behind me😅

Our son did not take any DC classes because we were told that AP classes are more consistent in terms of rigor and recognition and will be recognized if he decides to go to college out of State. At my son’s HS, DC and AP both get 6 points.

1 Like

@ALN see what I mean about inconsistency?? Both DC and AP are 6 pts at your school; our school is AP 5 pts, DC 4.5 pts.
Agree that AP shows more consistent rigor.

At my son’s school, the same chemistry class was labeled AP/DC and the curriculum taught definitely prepared the kids to take the AP exam. He was a junior when he took the class (chemistry) and I remember an email going out that said “you are signed up for this AP class that is also available as dual credit at xyz community college because the teacher was certified to teach at that school…you would be taking it at our high school and take the AP exam at the end of the year but also be able to earn college credit (at no cost).” They did say that whatever grade we earned in this class would show up on the transcript of whatever Texas State school we matriculated to (if we were going to a state school). I don’t think I knew all the pros and cons of dual credit at that time.

1 Like