Texas A&M University Class of 2026

I just took a lot of dual enrollment classes because as a homeschooler I wanted a way to prove course rigor…I hope it doesn’t affect my application.

@Texas231343 , being a homeschooler in itself is a plus. Independent learning, taking college level classes and mastering it. I commend you. I have no clue how the admissions committee weigh these DC classes but for me, you are already on your way to success. Good Luck !

DC for home school students is exceptional and totally shows that you want more and I agree, it shows you can handle college course work! Great job. You did not hurt your chances. We were all speaking (at least I was) on typical school students. AP over Dual (but not all dual).

My kids went into TAMU with 12 DC hours and zero AP. They were well prepared but didn’t have to worry about finding filler classes or changing majors and losing hours or maxing out on hours.

1 Like

Great insight into DC vs. AP credit coming in. A challenge is that state legislators want more pathways to get a university degree ASAP. Dual credit, CC pathways, focus on certificates, trades, etc. and less on liberal arts learning.

Don’t APs favor the suburban and wealthier applicants while DC is focused more on flyover areas? For example, my alma mater, Lufkin (TX) HS, now has an Early College High School (ECHS) which enables students to earn their high school diploma and up to two years of college credits simultaneously. Apparently, they have ~500 students in four grades. Do the top students go that route or stick with LHS and AP courses? Maybe it’s easier to graduate in the top 10% at LHS if many college-bound classmates opt for ECHS instead. I see that nearby Hudson HS (200/class) offers a similar program

Just some strategy discussion while folks are waiting for holistic results.

1 Like

My husband and I both went to community college for two years then transferred to university. We didn’t have any problems in upper level courses or grad school. Depends on the student and the school I guess. I learned so much more in my small stats class at the community college and had an awesome instructor than my peers who struggled in the large lecture hall stat course at the university for it. I was one of the top students in advanced research methods at university after taking the lower division research methods at community college. We are thrilled our kids have the opportunity to take community college courses during high school instead of after like we did. There are many paths one can take and end up at the same destination.

2 Likes

So I’ve been thinking more about what I truly like and I don’t really know if business is the best major for me. I’m applying as a business major (with philosophy as the second choice), but with a lot of introspection I don’t really know if business should be my first choice. One of my favorite extracurriculars is philosophy club (of which I’m the president), I got my letter of recommendation from a philosophy proffesor, I have taken two philosophy classes and loved them, and taken two business classes and hated them. Is it too late to change my major, I initially majored in business because my dad said philosophy was useless in the job search (but I realized I don’t know if it will matter much if I plan to go straight to law school). Is there anyway I can still switch majors, or should I stick with business because Texas A&M is a much better business school than philosophy and I have to stay near home because I’m slightly younger than the average college student. I don’t know if I’m just going through a period where I constantly want to change my major. I have no idea what to do.

If you hated the business classes that you took, it probably isn’t a good major for you. Just a philosophy degree is pretty limiting but as long as you go on to grad school it won’t be an issue. You can always start with business if that is what you already put and change your major if you decide to after a semester or two. It’s ok if you aren’t sure now. Choosing a major can be a hard decision.

2 Likes

@Texas231343 I agree with @martinezcs i wouldn’t change right now, you’re in the middle of admission process. Wait and see what you get admitted to, there is a Change of Major button (I think?) you can use later on. I wouldn’t do anything at this point. There are lots of options out there.
If you didn’t like the business classes you took, most likely you won’t care for business as a major. Have you taken any kind of career assessment testing? That might help.

1 Like

Is it hard to change majors from business to philosophy? Also, where can you find career assessment testing?

I don’t think you will have a hard time changing from business to philosophy.

Check out youscience . It is $29. My daughter took it and it was helpful. Her guidance counselor and a college coach who the PTA invited last year recommended it. It helped my daughter pick a marketable degree and career with her artistic abilities and analytical abilities. We didn’t want her to be a starving artist, but she is going to learn art technology (animation, visualization, etc) which is a growing field.

Okay, thank you!

Google ‘aptitude testing’, a really good one is Johnson O’Connor.
Transferring OUT of Mays won’t be a problem…transferring IN is extremely difficult.

It says it’s 750 dollars…that’s a little too expensive unfortunately.

YouScience is $29. Your school should have aptitude testing available too. Check with your guidance counselor.

Since you mentioned Art technology, UT Dallas ATEC (Arts, Technology, and Emerging Communication) is top of the line. Internship opportunities are amazing. Our company is one of those in the lists hiring ATEC from UTD in North Texas.

https://atecio.utdallas.edu/tiki-index.php?page=Internships-and-Jobs

1 Like

Sorry for the confusion, a lot of APs are preferred, most universities AO (not just TAMU) don’t like a lot of DCs.

2 Likes

I’m homeschooled, I’ll try youscience though.

2 Likes

Yes! She has been accepted to UTD ATEC, A&M Visualization, and ASU Animation already. She is also applying to SMU for Art & Creative Computation. :grinning: All good programs! She has a tough decision to make!

2 Likes

Philosophy is the top major for law school seekers!!!

1 Like