Texas A&M University Class of 2026

My guess is that they have a formula that gives more weight to some items (sat/act) than others (LOR). Admissions probably tries to be super consistent in scoring extracurricular/essays/etc since it is so subjective. With SRAR, they have the ability to calculate course rigor.

I think the details to answer your question is how that formula is set up. Extracurricular and talent/ability may also be defined as ones passion and commitment towards their intended major, so it could very well have alot of weight, especially if tamu is looking for students who know what they want to do and will graduate on time to ease crowding.

3 Likes

That’s very true, my second one was accepted in October last year even before SAT scores received. We sent score via college board back in August but TAMU didn’t receive it until November.

Last year and this year are test optional so the process is a bit different. Generally submitting scores will help. Admission looks closely into transcript to make sure the class performance on crucial courses are good.

As the pandemic subsides it may work better for Texas applicants as many extraordinary students this year consider going to prestigious colleges outside Texas. Last year our school district survey showed almost 80% of top 5% students chose to stay in Texas for college as opposed to 40% in previous years. So this year, more TAMU and UT seats will open up for first quartile students.

Not to say competition is easier this year, Texas has over 3200 high school so top 8 students from every high school already make up 25K students.

Definitely! Everything is submitted electronically so tamu can easily sort the applicants data however they wish. I think every applicant is graded, based on numerous criteria, and admittances are sent to the higher graded review applicants, IMO

Wow, thats impressive your review applicant was admitted so early without test scores! Do you think extracurricular/talent was exceptional? what do you think made them stand out?

What does first generation refer to?

Last year very likely was the transcript showing course strength. She had 12 AP and 3 DC classes up to eleventh grade, one of them was self-pace AP because high school could not accommodate the schedule and she had 4 more APs in senior year. She took all AP CB tests and she was careful enough to let AO know she wasn’t planning to take any credit skipping courses in TAMU even though she got 5 in most of the tests.

TAMU generally like to see students having tough courses to show they are able to handle the vigor at college, but they don’t like students claiming too many credits on their college transcript.

Your post earlier about what is very important and important is very true. Many students don’t fill out all the optional essays. Essays are the best voices for the students to show their passion on the areas they plan to study. My second one submit more essays than requested last year via the portal even through the application was marked complete.

3 Likes

Having parents who haven’t gone to college before.

1 Like

First generation is referring to if you are the first in your family to go to college. It is a question on the application. “Family” includes your siblings and parents, but I can’t remember if it also includes your grandparents or aunts/uncles.

I think it’s just parents…even if you have siblings that went to college you’re still first generation because you’re still the first generation in the family (not extended family) to have gone to college.

1 Like

Thanks! Couldnt remember the wording of that question, but its there

I wonder if “standardized test scores” includes AP tests, SAT subject tests, etc, in addition to SAT/ACT? That says alot when students can score 5s on those when the national average is much lower, plus tamu knows the data of their existing students who submitted AP scores.

"(2019-2020) Relative importance of each of the following academic and nonacademic factors in first-time, firstyear, degree-seeking (freshman) admission decisions.

Very Important
Rigor of secondary school record
Class Rank
Academic GPA
Standardized Test Scores
Extracurricular Activities
Talent/Ability

Have a question for engineering review for auto admit- AIS says Engineering review.
Howdy manage applications says admitted but still says ‘ Engineering review’ so what does it look like if you are admitted to Engineering.

I understand that Eng reviews won’t know till Nov, just wondering what AIS would look like after they are admitted to Engineering.

@hraj , according to previous years’ posts, I’d expect to see “Engineering Review” change to “General Engineering.”

1 Like

I’m curious why you say this. As an employer, I would prefer a student who took the most challenging courseload. Then, if the student wants to take on a double major, that’s good too. Using the credits allows the student to potentially graduate earlier which would probably make a university pleased.

1 Like

Yeah…I don’t get it either, I’m going to come in with 45 credits and I’d like to be able to transfer them all.

1 Like

The UNEN and BAC/UNEN changes to ENGE and BAC/ENGE in manage application.

@tristatecoog I will give one example, and I’m sure @FriscoDad has other reasoning. At our Mays NSC 2 years ago, they specifically mentioned they are not impressed with students coming in with 40+ dual credit hours (AP isn’t applied automatically, always wait to accept AP). It makes it super difficult for these incoming freshman to find basic classes to take, some of them come in with ‘associate degrees’ from local community colleges, and they think entry level Accounting taken there is just as good as what’s taught as TAMU, refuse to retake it, then can’t understand why they bomb upper level Acct. If for some reason they decide to switch majors, many of them have a hard time, because a lot of majors won’t accept transfers with more than 60 hours.
Just one example from Mays, why an abundance of DC hours is very much frowned upon. DC applies automatically, AP doesn’t-big difference.

2 Likes

@tristatecoog , I think because “rigor” depends on the kind of community college a student earned a credit from. From personal experience, I had great difficulty taking upper level classes in a 4 year college after transferring my credits from a community college, specially Math , Science, Accounting, Stats etc. that is precisely why I told my son to stick to AP and not worry about DC so much. I want him to take the foundation classes at a 4 year college and build it up from there. While, I do understand that taking DC would have saved him time and money, being a Math major, I just did not feel like he would get the foundation he need to master the skill at an upper level Math classes.

2 Likes

Tagging onto this. Great example @52ag82 and sooooo true.

Having 30 hours our less is optimal (24 or less is great). It gives them wiggle room to grow and make changes in their academic career. There will always be some who know exactly what they want, but many don’t and they can get stuck in a major simply because they have too many hours and have to just go through with it.

Most majors have a strict change of major policy on number of hours, so it’s not just transfers, it can also effect changing a major within TAMU.

AND…if you don’t get into TAMU as a “freshman”, then you are limited on transfers later depending on major.

AND TAMU wants you to take as many courses in residence as possible. More money for them.

2 Likes

@ALN nailed it! I think a lot has to do with rigor!
There’s a reason so many take community courses in the summer & May/WinterMester