Textbook help

<p>For those who took CS 2114, please let me know if the class required the online access code. If not, can I just go ahead and buy the TB now. It is called DATA STRUCTURES: ABSTRACTION & DESIGN USING JAVA. Its new price is 150...but I am getting it for $50. So, please reply quick.</p>

<p>For those who took GEOG 1014 (world regions): Do we need to buy the TB for that online class? It is called PLAID AVENGER'S WORLD. It is pretty expensive. Any cheaper means to buy that book?</p>

<p>Linear Algebra Honors (Math 2114H) - The new book they require is $160. Can't find any cheaper. Maybe, I am just going to wait till the first day of class.</p>

<p>English 1204H - Don't know what to buy yet. Going to wait till the first day of class.</p>

<p>Engineering - They instructed us to wait till the first day. So, I will do that.</p>

<p>So, please suggest me what to buy and when to buy. Thanks</p>

<p>You’ll need the textbook for World Regions. The class is set up differently than a traditionally structured lecture class; exam, quizzes, assignments, activities and such are worth different point amounts and you need to earn a set number of points to get an A. The professor writes the textbook and in his syllabus he says you have to get a brand new copy ($95ish dollars) to get the code to access the online resources. </p>

<p>And without the book, you do have have access to “earn” many of the points. While the class is considered easy by many, it can be time consuming to earn all the points for an “A”.</p>

<p>So, should I go ahead and order the world regions book through the online bookstore now? </p>

<p>Also, anyone please advise me on the other books.</p>

<p>You don’t need the access code for 2114. </p>

<p>Also, if you have a Facebook profile, you should join the CS and Engineering Facebook groups. These questions get asked all the time and you can get answers pretty quickly. </p>

<p>@CloudyCloud‌ So should I go ahead and buy the CS T/B. Is that the right T/B? Just want to make sure before I order. </p>

<p>Also, can anyone tell me how World Regions work. I mean it is an online class, so is there any specific I need to watch videos etc.?</p>

<p>Also, does anyone know if the engineering education class uses a T/B. Online it says go to class first. But, I want to plan out finances.</p>

<p>I do not remember any of DS engineering ed classes that did not have a book. So, you should factor in some amount to your finances. Can’t remember how much they were though.</p>

<p>@agg999‌ If you go to the book store and they say that a certain textbook is required for a class, then that is the required textbook. </p>

<p>The World Regions class operates basically the same way that the in-person lecture does. You have to earn a set number of points through exams, quizzes, going to movies, lectures, speakers, etc. The online textbook and system gives you access to some of the activities to earn the points. </p>

<p>There’s no major difference between if you buy the book now or later though, since it’ll be the same price regardless. So you could always wait until class starts or the syllabus comes out on scholar to understand how it works.</p>

<p>Also, the University Bookstore website has SOME of the books that classes say you need if you check under the part of the website that says “Fall 2014 Textbook Reservations” you can find books for some classes. Not all professors turn in their book lists on time though. Source: I used to work at bookstore.</p>

<p>So, I am not going to buy the CS 2114 in the bookstore. I am getting it for only $75 on Amazon. Before I buy, can anyone confirm that I am buying the right used book. Here’s the link:</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.amazon.com/Data-Structures-Abstraction-Design-Using/dp/0470128704/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407735052&sr=8-1&keywords=9780470128701”>http://www.amazon.com/Data-Structures-Abstraction-Design-Using/dp/0470128704/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407735052&sr=8-1&keywords=9780470128701&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Actually now that i think about it… I am going to buy everything in the bookstore. cuz I can return them back after the semester and get money as well. Should I expect around 30% cashback?</p>

<p>Depends. Also, most sites have a buyback option with free shipping too.</p>

<p>You can buy books anywhere and still sell them at the on campus bookstore. There’s also Bookholders and Tech Bookstore off campus, neither of them are affiliated with the university. They sometimes give more cashback than the bookstore and it doesn’t matter if you bought the book from their store or online. One semseter I got a back off of ebay, and then made about $20 profit when I sold it to Bookholders.</p>

<p>Keep checking sites like textbookly.com and the VT textbook exchange and free & for sale pages. Get used copies and sell them back to save money. Only buy stuff like lab manuals from the bookstore. However, last semester for PHYS 2305, I actually got the lab book for $36 from Tech Bookstore (off campus and not affiliated with the school) rather than $55 from the official bookstore. So look out for stuff like that. And don’t buy the iclicker 2. It’s more expensive than the iclicker 1, and everything that the iclicker 2 has that 1 doesn’t is not used in any of the classes.</p>

<p>@RealReal How much do the official store give back in cash when I sell it to them? Two of the books that I have to buy are like brand new this year: the honors version of linear algebra ($160) and World Regions brand new edition ($105). </p>

<p>I have never had experience with it before, but try this: <a href=“efollett”>efollett;