Textbooks - need translation

<p>OK, I was just looking at the various textbook options for a Calc 2 class, and I need translation, because I’m not quite sure what all the differences are. I picked this one as an example, but I had looked at required textbooks for a few difference courses, and some had bundles, and bundles with e-book, and looseleaf bundles, etc. I was totally confused. Anyway, to start my textbook education, could someone tell me what the differences are between the four things listed below. And do you need one of them, or two of them? I can’t imagine you need all four because some of them sound pretty similar. Help!</p>

<p>0-538-73807-3 BROOKS/COLE / WEB ASSIGN w/ EBOOK<br>
0-495-01428-1 STEWART / ESSENTIAL CALCULUS: EARLY TRANSCENDENTALS B/C/<br>
978-1-111-01901-3 STEWART / ESSENTIAL CALCULUS BUNDLE w/ EBOOK WEB ASSIGN<br>
0-538-73811-1 BROOKS/COLE / WEB ASSIGN</p>

<p>The first listing is for the access code to use the online homework software Web Assign, and an electronic version of the textbook.</p>

<p>The second is just the plain, old-fashioned textbook.</p>

<p>The third one is the whole package: textbook, e-book, Web Assign access code.</p>

<p>The last is the Web Assign code only, no e-book.</p>

<p>Assuming the student will be required to do online homework with Web Assign in the course, the code is a must. However, it can often be purchased for cheaper from Web Assign itself than through the bookstore (that was the case for many moons ago - you would have to research this). The choice of whether you want to use a textbook or an e-book is yours.</p>

<p>Always save receipts for textbook or access code purchases in case you buy a bundle with a code by accident in addition to individually…it happens. Be cautious of buying too early…sometimes the textbook requirement changes…be aware of allowed return dates…don’t be afraid to ask to look at a used book before purchasing…you don’t want someone else’s highlighting to mess you up if that is something you like to do as a study tool. Looseleaf allows you to leave the parts of the book in your room that you are not using and only carry the chapters you need…less weight on your back.</p>

<p>Thanks, that was all really helpful! If a web assign code is listed, does that mean it’s required? Last summer D took a Calc 1 course at community college and a web assign code was listed but she never bought it and the professor never used web assign for homework. Do you usually need to wait until the first day of class to know what’s really required or is the information given with the course registration info pretty reliable?</p>

<p>You don’t have to wait until the first day of class or even the week before, but save your receipts and don’t open the shrink wrap. All of my D’s classes that listed the access code used it for homework and assignments, but that is my only reference. If you take your schedule to the Supe store or the off campus store they will help you if you need it.</p>

<p>You’ll never really know for sure until the you have final version of the course syllabus in hand. That’s why I never bought codes for online homework and clickers until the course started. The Supe Store tries and indicates what’s required and what’s optional, but that can be unreliable.</p>

<p>The math department generally uses the same textbook for each section of a course, regardless of the instructor. Many instructors don’t use WebAssign, so I suggest waiting to purchase the access code. If you need to purchase an access code, buy it from the publisher as the Supestore adds a profit margin to the publisher’s price and charges sales tax. Many textbook publishers and online bookstores don’t charge sales tax as they have no physical presence in Alabama.</p>

<p>One advantage of some relatively recent legislation is that schools are required to offer each component of a textbook package separately and to give students the ISBNs so they can compare prices from other sellers.</p>

<p>All have given great advice.</p>

<p>I see that you are looking at the Calculus book. Calculus 1,2, and 3 all use the same textbook. So a small savings there.</p>