The Binghamton University Scholars Program.

<p>I have an interest in hearing students perspectives about the Scholars Program.</p>

<p>Hi I’m a scholar. It doesn’t really affect my life so much. I lived with the scholars my first year but they never ended up being my good friends. Early registration is awesome and it’s worth it just for that. There’s a lot of events and opportunities and social gatherings. Plus it kind of “forces” you to do some sort of internship or involvement. That being said I know a lot of people who are very, very into the program. They participate in everything, are all friends with each other, go to conferences and are really familiar with all the professors. I guess it’s what you make of it.</p>

<p>Thank you very much! Our daughter has been invited and I am interested to learn everything that we can.</p>

<p>No problem! It really is a great opportunity, I just happened to get much more involved with other things on campus instead. Being able to register early is GREAT, I’ve consistently gotten into every class that I wanted. I also forgot to mention the scholars classes-- the first year is a 1 or 2 credit leadership/management class, but after that you get to sign up for two electives which are pretty cool. They have a lot of options like wolf mythology, ghost literature…it changes every semester depending on which professors are teaching. It’s nice to have that small discussion class where everyone in it is generally very interested and motivated and willing to have good class conversations.</p>

<p>@rebeccar Was living in Newing the first year nice? Or did you feel separated from other residence halls? I’ve heard that most kids don’t want to live in Newing.</p>

<p>I liked Newing. The campus is “brain-shaped,” so it’s like an oval with all the residence halls in a row on the outer edge with campus in the middle. Newing is at the end of the row and farthest from the academic buildings but when I say farther, I mean like a 2-5 minute walk. If my friends wanted to meet at any other dining hall for meals I’d have zero problem doing so. Plus, Newing is definitely it’s own little community. It’s much more friendly than other dorms-- the rooms are all doubles or singles with several triples, so it’s very common to have doors open and people wandering in and out. With a place like Mountain View, all suites, doors tend to be closed and there isn’t much interaction between suites. There’s plenty of community/building/floor activities. Also, our dining hall is shared with Dickinson and is probably one of the more popular ones.</p>

<p>Awesome, thanks!</p>

<p>have the letters already been sent out?</p>

<p>^Largely, yes, but I think it is a rolling process. They <em>may</em> not be done sending out invited, but don’t get your hopes up. You can transfer in in your sophomore year, though.</p>

<p>Hi, so I am definitely going to Binghamton next year and I am going to be in the Scholars program. I was wondering how housing works in terms of roommate selection. Do you remember when you signed up for housing as well, or does it not matter since I have a spot reserved in the Newing Honors Community? Thanks</p>

<p>I got a randomly assigned scholar roommate. I think if you find someone beforehand you can request them, but most people go random.</p>

<p>did the random roommate system work out for most people? I just don’t want to end up with some really weird roommate, especially one who only intends on studying. </p>

<p>You’ll be fine. First of all I’d bet the majority of freshmen in America go random, it’s part of college. Second, think of the people who make it into scholars-- smart, good letters of recommendation, extracurriculars and leadership positions…your odds are good.</p>

@rebeccar‌ hey! This thread is old but I was wondering if it’s possible to not live in the scholars dorm and still be in the program

The only person I knew who got out of the dorm requirement was living in the Mountain View engineering program instead. It’s mandatory, unless they changed it.

Also, it’s only for your first year that you have to live in Newing.

Does newing have parties? Or is it mostly the other dorms?

Newing has parties.