The Bragging Thread

I already posted this as a separate thread, but it’s been suggested that I also post it here:

When I first joined College Confidential, it was 2008 and my son was a high school senior. I know I hardly post at all anymore, but I think this occasion is worth a mention, for those of you who might remember me from olden days.

My son just found out a couple of days ago that he’s been admitted into his first-choice PhD program, the History of Art PhD program at the University of Toronto. Out of 41 non-Canadian applicants, only two were admitted, and one was my son. They also offered him a more generous funding package than he was expecting, so even with the relatively high cost of living in Toronto, the amount should be plenty to rent a small apartment, with something left over.

He’s accepted the offer, so he’s going to be in Canada this fall and for at least the next 5 years or so after that. I’ve never been to Toronto, but it’s only an hour’s flight from NYC. Not so far for me to visit!

It was only a bit more than a year ago, after getting his Master’s degree two years ago, that he finally decided that this is the path that he truly wants to pursue. I know that this is only the first step, but I am immensely happy for him.

1 Like

DD is 25 and has been out of college 2 years, working and applying to grad schools, which was her plan. Double majored in psychology and biology. Got a job out of college doing research in DC (very low paying lol) She has been applying to Master’s in Public Health programs, and has been accepted to Yale’s SPH program! We are so excited for her! She has overcome a lot and worked really hard. Her dad and I are very proud!

The kid who struggled to graduate in 2007 is taking GREs net week.

D was just named top Math student (DeSieno Prize for Excellence in Mathematics) and top CS student (Robert and Marcia DeSieno Prize for Excellence in Computer Science). We were both super surprised about the CS award as she didn’t start the major until her junior year and she says there are some super bright students in her classes and she has always felt a bit inferior. She works really, really hard so I’m very proud. She received the PBK invite a few weeks ago and is sure she will graduate Summa Cum Laude with her 3.94 GPA. Wow.

She took a chance on a safety school and loved the school that loved her, they have done so much for her and we all couldn’t be happier. When she applied in 2014, it was a safety…today it has risen significantly in the rankings, certainly no longer a safety for most. Thank you Skidmore College! She had a fantastic four years and is so sad its all coming to an end…

@WayOutWestMom That is the best post ever. How awesome.

My beloved niece has worked very hard and was just accepted to DO school so she will become a doctor like her folks and brother. She is very conscientious and has great rapport with people. Yippee!

My daughter was selected to play a solo at Baccalaureate. We’ll get to se her perform at college (we’ve missed all performances except the ones posted on YouTube) on her last night as a student there.

Watching the SpaceX launch feed in case the camera pans to our kid.

Just got my kid’s progress report and I see an A+ in AP Physics and an A- in AP Calc. Take that, “senioritis”!

My daughter found an engineering internship for part of the summer after she gets back from study abroad. So excited for her!

So much great news here! My daughter and her boyfriend just signed a lease for a beautiful apartment in their new city. Will move in a week after graduation.

A belated congrats to DS#1 who got the absolute coolest, highly desired job! It’s like a kid in a candy store!

My daughter took her last final exam for her BS today!

Tonight at rehearsal I was within 6 feet of a musical instrument conservatively worth $2.5 million dollars, being played by a world-class musician.

Tomorrow, if I have the opportunity, I’m going to ask if I can play it.

Handle with care.

I’m nervous just thinking about holding it. :fearful:

DD’17 graduated community college last night and is done with her schooling. She has had an internship this spring, where she is now covering for a maternity leave. She is very new at the job, has had to do a full time job in part time hours while classes were still on, and is the only person there that does that job so she’s largely on her own to figure it out. But she is doing fantastic!

Saw the goo goo dolls 15 years ago and it was a crowd of 30k.

Saw them last night at Private party with 175 people.

Same great songs and memories. Never thought it would be possible that night sitting on a lawn with so many other friends.

D is the Valedictorian of her class AND was named Utah’s Top K-12 Student. Woot. Woot. She is super excited about college!

I just passed my MSW licensing exam. Yay for me!