The Bragging Thread

<p>^^^Whew! I was ready to call Jerry Springer!</p>

<p>DD and I made a spectacular birthday dinner for DH: grilled sea bass, grilled corn on the cob, green salad with balsamic and olive oil and tomatoes from friendā€™s friendā€™s garden in South Jersey, homemade white cake with whipped cream frosting and lemon filling. </p>

<p>Son will come in this weekend and I put a piece of cake in the freezer for him.</p>

<p>Lol, very happy. Son 2 is very happy, too.</p>

<p>And what can I brag about? Oh, at one time, I could do a backbend.</p>

<p>^ lol, MD Mom. I could once do a cartwheel!!</p>

<p>My kids? I learned a long time ago best not to brag. Whenever I do they immediately do something mortifying.</p>

<p>I would like to do cartwheels over to your house for dinner, sew happy. However, the cartwheeling is in my past as well.</p>

<p>Iā€™m going to brag on my youngest. Sheā€™s 12, going into 8th grade. Until this summer weā€™ve signed her up for assorted day camps in town, let her hang out with mom (I work only PT) and visit with friends. This summer she asked if she could volunteer at a camp for low-income kids of color that she had attended in the past (itā€™s where I work so she got a spot if she wanted it). They said yes.</p>

<p>So she is an assistant to the kindergarten teacher (they do academics half the day) a playground monitor, a lunch monitor, a get the ice pack for the crying child person, and the playing games with the kids person, the help get the kids on the right bus field trip person. The staff is thrilled with her and tell me every day how happy they are to have her there. Sheā€™s not doing it to get hours for community service in school, not doing to pad her resume, sheā€™s doing it because she loves kids and wants to teach. It makes her shine with joy to do this. </p>

<p>I am proud to be the mom of a kid like this. I canā€™t wait to see what she does with her life.</p>

<p>D. had dignosed her first heart murmur. The doc. said she was absolutely correct about type. Nope, cardiology is not in her future, she does not like heart at all, it is on very long NO list actually.</p>

<p>Not so much of a brag as a very happy time. </p>

<p>For the first time since I can remember, everything is going right. I finally have my depression under control after nearly a decade of different treatments. Iā€™m almost completely at peace with what I do and donā€™t have in life. I finally accept who I am- someone without any close girl friends but an incredible circle of male friends, a girl without much biological family but many people who love me, a girl without much money but who is lucky enough to have some pretty nice jobs for someone my age. I havenā€™t cried in weeks or not wanted to leave my room. </p>

<p>Not much, but for the first time in years, Iā€™m actually able to see all these great things. It rarely happened with the depression. The cloud finally seems to be disappearing. </p>

<p>Iā€™m now applying to grad schools and discussing wedding possibilities. Life is quite wonderful.</p>

<p>Hurrah, romanigypsyeyes!</p>

<p>S2ā€™s GF had her job offer sweetened, and sheā€™s going back to another organization for a second interview tomorrow. I expect sheā€™ll have two offers in hand by tomorrow night. </p>

<p>Not bad for a June 2012 college graduate!</p>

<p>Romanigypsyeyes, Just a big, gigantic Yay! for you. Depression is one of those awful things that seems to hit the most wonderful people. When they come thru and smile again it helps the whole universe.</p>

<p>Romanigypsyeyes I think that is one the best brags I have read. Congrats to you and keep it up. Life really Is good and we all need to take it one step at a time. I donā€™t know you but feel very happy for you. This is a great thread as it is so refreshing to hear good news.</p>

<p>Thanks guys :). It really feels good to have that weight off of me. Itā€™s still a struggle, but Iā€™m finally happy. Really, truly happy. </p>

<p>Now Iā€™m just really nervous about that grad school thing. Iā€™ll be taking my GREs soon so weā€™ll see how that goes. Everything else looks good- 3.8ish GPA, PBK, should get some good recs, some relevant work experience to public health or disaster management (brag thread, right? :p)ā€¦ now itā€™s just up to those test scores plus I lack lab and EC experience (three jobs will do that to you :/)ā€¦ but someone will take me, right? Haha</p>

<p>Iā€™m kind of hoping to go somewhere without winters for grad school. The winter months make my depression so much worse. Iā€™m just ready for a change of scenery in generalā€¦ but at the same time, I donā€™t want to go away from my parents who are both in poor health. Decisions :/</p>

<p>romany,
Nice to hear. All of these, my own D. (who has never been depressed, very happy person) mentioned after her trip to one of the poorest places on Earth. She mentioned that one lady in her 60s was talking (and crying) about her not be able to pursue her dream of education because she needed to take care of her family from very early age and her family did not allow her.
D. said, she looks at everything, including all the cruelty of school requirements and 6 hrs exams from very positive prospective after that. Nothing to complain after knowing that there are many who could only dream about it and never had a chance.<br>
Yes, if you are relatively healthy, have some number of supporting people around you and live in the USA, then everything is very fine in your life.</p>

<p>Miami, you can say everything is fine, but a person with depression doesnā€™t see it that way. Itā€™s almost like you are incapable of seeing anything good.</p>

<p>Iā€™ve been to very poor countries as well. Didnā€™t cure my depression. I know logically that I have a pretty good life but when depression hits, logic goes out the window. There were so many days in junior high and high school where I just couldnā€™t get out of bed. I almost had the truancy officers called on me in eighth grade and junior year because it got so bad.</p>

<p>Will keep you in my prayers, Roman. I donā€™t know where in the country you are located, but I always find that looking at water, any water, gives me peace. A dip in the pool does wonders for the soul. And looking out over the water makes me forget all my troubles. May you find joy in the simple things and know that you can conquer your depression!</p>

<p>Mont, I live in Michigan and love the water. My boyfriend and I go swimming every other day now (weā€™re both pretty avid swimmers with years of swim team experience between us). It has seemed to help. I think thatā€™s also why I want to move somewhere warmerā€¦ At least for a while. </p>

<p>Thanks for the kind words :).</p>

<p>S2, who started his post-graduation job in Jan. (he graduated in Dec 2011) just had his first performance review and got a raise. It wasnā€™t an enormous raise, but he lives in an expensive city, so any additional money is welcome. In this economy, weā€™re thankful he has a job.</p>

<p>^^^That is wonderful, shellfell. Congratulations to your son!</p>

<p>Ah, I second the calming effects of the beach. I just got back from my lunch break at the ocean.</p>

<p>Oh dear, just realized i posted this in bragging thread. Forgive me?</p>