The Class of 2024 -- Sharing, venting, discussing! MT

I have seen NYC Combines mentioned several times, but I can’t seem to find a link to when exactly they will be and who will participate. Anyone have some insight?

@CBSQandA

Here is the information that I have on the Combines.

Friday, January 17, 2020
Registration begins at 9am
Chelsea Studios, 151 W 26th St, NY, NY

Schools attending:
Rider, Texas State, Wagner, Arizona State, Shenandoah, and Texas Tech

Prepare two 16 bar cuts
or one 16 bar cut and a one minute monologue.
Sign-ups are first come, first serve on the day of the open call

Questions? contact Holly at hjohnson2@su.edu

Here is what Texas State has on their audition information regarding Combines.

January 17-19, 2020 New York

Location Chelsea Studios:

151 W 26th St, New York, NY 10001

Please note that an accompanist will be provided.

9:30-10:30 am- Program overview
10:45-12pm - Learn the dance combination 
12:45pm – 5:30pm – 15 min Audition Slots

*In addition, there will be a representative at The Combines Auditions (open call) at Chelsea Studios Jan 17, if you are seen at Combines and receive a callback, those will happen Jan. 18th or 19th.

The Combines is an open call with sign-up sheet at Chelsea Studios at 9am,on a first come, first serve. basis, only 70 slots available, with a dance call at 6:00pm. Multiple programs attend: including Shenandoah Conservatory, Missouri State, Arizona State University, Wagner College, University of North Dakota and Texas Tech University (2018 attendees).

Hope this helps.

Re: Combines… please make sure you look back on last year’s thread. If I recall correctly, there were many, many people who were not able to get one of those coveted 70 spots. People were waiting in line way before the start time only to have the people in front of them signing up several students who were not with them. I don’t know if the organizers have changed anything from last year regarding how the sign ups were handled, but if some of those schools are on your favorites list, I encourage you to also explore other ways to audition for them.

My D did the Combines last year. I got there at 7:20 am and was 35-40th (an estimate) in line. The line is outside (at least it was last year), so dress warmly! They did not allow people to sign up multiple students: each person could only sign up one student: that was changed because of prior years where one person would sign up ten people. The sign ups were DIY: you picked a time for your student on a laptop: I guess a person could sign up a couple of people if they did it quickly, but there were people monitoring the sign ups, so I’m pretty sure they would have noticed if you tried to sign up 10 people! They also did have a waiting list for people that did not get an official slot, and they did offer audition slots to some people from that list. Last year the singing/monologue auditions were in the morning/afternoon and the dance call was from 6 pm to 7:30pm, so the schedule will be different this year. Slightly different schools there last year, but my D did get interest from 2 schools, so she felt it was a great way to get into the zone for NY Unifieds (1/18-1/19 this year).

@MTdreamin Thank you for sharing your experience at combines! Maybe I was confusing the previous year with last year’s experience. I just remembered some people being very disappointed.

@brennak you are not wrong . here is last year’s thread, start with post #36

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/musical-theater-major/2095664-nyc-combines-for-2019-p2.html

Thanks for the info re: the Combines, we probably can’t do them because we have a 9am audition on the 17th at Pearl Studios.

@BrennaK , @NYYFanNowMTdad Follow up on my experience with Combines. @afterp89 last year saw someone register multiple names. I did not see anything like that. I was only there for the first 40 or so people, but I was paying attention to the people in front of me! It is true that you did sign up your own student for an audition time on a laptop. When I was there, staff members were standing behind the laptops observing as people typed in their selected times. Perhaps these staff members weren’t present after I left. When I was there, it would have been difficult to enter in more than one student both because of the staff members and because there were parents right behind you breathing down your neck waiting for you to finish entering your student’s name! The line was unbelievably long, and there were definitely people who arrived before the sign ups opened who didn’t get spots, and they weren’t pleased about it. I agree that if you really want to audition for a school I would not count on the Combines.

Has anyone successfully scheduled their Ohio U audition at Chicago Unifieds? We submitted the online form several weeks ago, sent two separate emails to inquire on when schedule will be confirmed, and no response yet. Also submitted Kent State through GetAcceptd in early Sep for on-campus audition, but no response yet. Academically accepted to both. Thanks!

I won’t comment further on my frustrations with Combines from last year - my daughter is where she is supposed to be and we are all happy. I would just say that if one of your student’s dream schools is there and they haven’t been able to secure an audition, then go for it - but plan on getting there super early. Think about how early you think you should be there and then get there 90 minutes earlier than that.

Sent CCM in Sept. Portal says everything received. Emailed weeks ago and got letter saying to wait until mid December b/c Dec 1 is the final application deadline date. Also said you may hear earlier (we know kids w/appointments). Have not heard of any “no’s” though. Guess we have to wait until Mid December…Wonder if the ppl that got appointments were all on campus?

We got that same email from CCM

@NYYFanNowMTdad - I wish we had known you were at OCU last weekend…we were there as well.

Your review was spot on for my daughter’s feelings as well. She thought the dance call was easy (but LOVED it, and thought the ballet teacher at the front of the room looked like a Russian Prima). She loved Dr. H, and the facilities were simply gorgeous! The OCU kids seemed really nice, and happy, and that says a lot.

She was kind of discouraged after the vocal auditions, because she said she felt they did not like her (just her feeling). She also did not get to sing her aria. I did talk to several current students, and NONE of them sang their arias at their audition, either…so, there is that…

Overall, she loved it, but it not holding her breath. There were a lot of talented kids there, and it was only one day of six for auditions.

We just have to have faith…:slight_smile:

On another note…I need a vacation!

Moving over to this thread from Pre-screen results page… Congrats to those who’ve already auditioned! We’re heading into that phase shortly (early Dec.) & keeping fingers crossed!

Here’s a question I haven’t seen addressed: My D has received a few academic acceptances in the last couple of weeks (yay!), some with nice scholarship offers (double yay!!), but she still has to audition to get into the MT program at these schools, and many of those auditions are months away… Should students send a note to the admissions office to say thanks and that they are still waiting to audition before making a decision? Her guidance counselor just told her this isn’t necessary, but it seems like a long time to just leave the admissions dept. hanging…

Just curious what others have done–thanks!

@toystorymom - we have not responded to those in any way. i just figure the schools know that we are still waiting.

@toystorymom My S’s academic acceptance letters all indicated that they noted he had applied as a performance major and mentioned the need for audition for accpetance into that program, so I think they expect to not hear back on accepting offers. But taking the MT part out, my thought was decisions aren’t due until May 1 (assuming applications were not early decision), so any applicant to the school, regardless of an audition requirement, could wait until then to notify so they must know many will wait to reply…at least I’m hoping that’s the case??

We had ruled out trying for OCU because of the Aria requirement…We loved everything else about the school, but we just don’t have one in the repertoire and my kid has no experience singing arias. Should we reconsider?

@CBSQandA - OCU may or may not have you sing all three. I can say though you 100% need to bring all three with you. The good news is, they don’t require an aria. It’s 2 MT songs and 1 classical OR art song in any language. If they are truly interested in OCU don’t let that intimidate you. There are a wide variety of art songs. Many are great for future MT auditions! :slight_smile: