The Class of 2024 -- Sharing, venting, discussing! MT

Thanks @CaMom13 - none of the schools specifically say it has to be Shakespeare, I just felt like it was something he should have in case they ask, and to hear he doesn’t have one prepared because his coach told him the verse v prose thing is frustrating - I agree, it makes no sense!! Just going to have to take a breath and what will be, will be!!

Actually, UCLA MT auditions require

“One monologue in verse (any period) - 90 seconds or less
One from a published play (any period) - 90 seconds or less”

However, the “in verse” detail was recently changed from pre-1900. I am so glad we checked the requirements again a couple of weeks ago.

My D said her Shakespeare monologue is actually in verse, so she got lucky.

Interesting - thanks @MommaCat

@MommaCat

THANKS for your post - I printed all of UCLA’s requirements back in August. And agree they changed their requirements from 2019 !??!?!?

Checking with daughter on her monologue, hoping we don’t have problem :frowning:

Lesson learned - “Always keep checking the websites for changes in format”

@LamaDrama What’s crazy is the change happened AFTER the sign-ups on Acceptd! I am so glad this was helpful for you and at least you were able to know now and not in February.

Also, I think it is interesting that there are “only” 195 sign-ups for MT including NY and on campus. I figured there would be a lot more people auditioning.

Are you guys doing on-campus?

@theatrekidmom yes! It seems that way. We have 5 auditions scheduled this week, into next. All of them during unifieds but not part of unifieds. We will be there on Monday! :slight_smile:

@MommaCat What…the heck…UCLA is just trying to be the death of us!

My D is going with the Acting track for UCLA and the audition Jan. 25th in Berkeley. One less trip down to LA?!?!!?

I don’t have access to her UCLA portal, so unsure how many people there are total for acting only.

Anyone done Michigan’s MT audition yet? It’s our first and we’re flying in, so no opportunity to look at the place in advance. Are they held in a theatre? judges sit in the audience, or do they do this in a classroom? Do the students sit out in the hall waiting to be called in one at a time, or do you sit and listen to everyone else’s in a group?

UMich states “UP TO 32 bars, but not to exceed one minute”. I would not bring music that is 50 measures. They are pretty strict about following directions.

Does anyone have info on the BoCo virtual, online interview? My D just received a link saying it needs to be completed within a week. Is it pretty basic?

@Bingosings My S said the BoCo virtual online interview was very basic. Seemed like they are just trying to get to know your kid. 10 minutes and he was done.

I think UMich does not have their first callback until Jan. 10th. Maybe someone from last year can chime in.

What they want is about a minute. If you’re a minute, 5 seconds, they aren’t going to cut you off. The reason they give number of bars AND time is that you can have a very uptempo song where 32 bars is 20-25 seconds. That isn’t enough. So target a minute AND keep in mind how to communicate the correct tempo to the accompanist and you’ll be golden. (This is from a real life audition experience! One of my kids was doing “The Kite” and his accompanist played it halfspeed as a ballad. The student stopped him and asked to start over, but they wouldn’t have even gotten through 14-15 bars the speed it was being played. Just be sure to find a way to communicate tempo!)

@ASwimDad We went to the on-campus audition for the Acting program on 1/10. I posted details on the BFA Acting audition thread if you’re interested.

Here’s the original post:

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/22531503/#Comment_22531503

And the follow-up answering specific questions:

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/22532048/#Comment_22532048

1/10 was the first callback audition day. I’ll try to give you the rundown on your questions:
-We spent the morning meeting with the director of the acting program and taking tours of the building (they swapped kids and parents so each group had a chance to do each)

-Then the actors had a movement class and parents were free to hang out, wait, go next door for food…

-Then at 12:00 the actors were told the time of their individual audition/interview and were free until then. They were assigned to a group of 7 who would be called at, say, 1:30. They were told the order they’d be called within the group and at 1:30 they needed to be outside the studio waiting to be called.

-The auditions were held in a studio individually behind closed doors with a panel of many profs from the acting program including the director.

-After 12:00 the hallways were full of acting and mt students waiting in various places for auditions.

-I can’t speak to the dance call- my kid did the acting movement/improv workshop, which was the full group taught by the movement profs.

-There was plenty of time and space to change, a hospitality table with snacks and coffee/tea/water and the atmosphere was overall pleasant and surprisingly laid back.

Hope that helps!

thanks. super helpful.

I would love to know if there are schools that have auditions scheduled for this FRIDAY in New York? I know about the combine, not talking about that, I’m talking about actual scheduled auditions being held on Friday. I know that CCM does. Are there any others? TIA

@SingerDancerMom i know DePaul is holding Friday auditions.

@SingerDancerMom BoCo is holding auditions on Friday in NYC.

@SingerDancerMom Rutgers, Ithaca College, and Missouri State are all holding auditions in NYC this Friday.

NYU is holding auditions this Friday.