The Class of 2026 – Sharing, Venting, Discussing! MT

I guess so, but purchase is on the list.

D was accepted to Marymount Manhattan and AMDA for BFA Acting. Any thoughts on these programs? We are in California, so she thinks it might be easier to go to AMDA, but we are unsure of how good that program is. Still waiting on other schools, but these are the front runners currently.

1 Like

correct me if i’m wrong, but amda doesn’t have the world’s greatest reputation. they are accredited, but the credits may not transfer well if your kid decides to transfer. of course it all depends on what the best fit is and that decision is entirely up to your family. best of luck and congratulations!

2 Likes

That’s what we are worried about too. It was supposed to be a safety, but now she likes it.

I really think AMDA’s reputation is unjustified. While it’s true that they have a higher acceptance rate than many MT/Acting programs, they do provide legitimate training with added benefit of being in NYC. Whenever you see a list of schools represented on Broadway, they’re always on it. Also, just as an FYI, rarely do MT/Acting credits transfer to other BFA programs. You usually have to start from scratch as a freshman if you transfer.

4 Likes

I agree. AMDA’s reputation should be a thing of the past. They have proved themselves by being among the top 5 most represented schools on Broadway, right up there with the NYU, CMU, CCM type schools! They have shown that they can educate and make their students successful in this industry.

Also, the acceptance rate is around 30%, while it’s not the same as a lottery school, or maybe even some others, it’s still selective.

As far as credits transferring, it is a performing arts school and I don’t think they do any liberal arts. So there wouldn’t be much to transfer anyway.

Just my two cents. i do not have a kid there, but have done my homework and talked to experts whom I respect about this.

3 Likes

No one is disputing AMDA for quality of instruction, but just like many other schools, they have some really good admissions/salespeople. I know two kids who did not do their homework about their accreditation and the ability to transfer credits and both are now stuck with a lot of student loans and no way to complete their degrees. If a student and their family understands that going in – and the TOTAL cost of attendance – and they want to pay that (or go in debt that much) that is fine. But in my opinion, no one should go in debt that much for a performing arts degree. There are many choices available that do not cause that much debt. I feel the same way about NYU and a few other places.

Most of the kids I work with cannot afford this kind of debt and I want to help set them up to be successful, including financially. My own son is attending a school where he got almost $80k in merit money. He is in computer science/engineering but now wants a theatre minor. It is not a theatre school, but in his words, “I’ll make it work and if I want to pursue it after, I can go to graduate school.” After he graduates, if things go as planned, he will have no student debt. If he goes to grad school for theatre, there are several programs that are free or close to it that are wonderful. Or he can take out loans as an adult to help subsidize.

Again, I have no issues with AMDA’s quality, but the cost is prohibitive for most and the admissions people (as college “salespeople” often do) downplay that. They should be transparent about costs (and future costs) and transferability (in case of emergency, break glass and start over).

One of the kids I know who went there I feel so badly for. He is an amazing teacher and he was unable to complete the four-year program. He had a health issue his second year. He took a leave, then came back and finished. Because of the break in his school, it caused an issue with his financial aid, then the cost of going to LA was beyond what he could get loans for. He attempted to find somewhere to transfer that was more affordable, but everyone told him he had to start over. He is working odd jobs in NY (a few industry jobs, teaching dance) when he could be teaching in a school. He is an awesome director but be can’t be hired by any school district without a four-year degree. Right now, he doesn’t have many options.

4 Likes

I’m sorry that happened to your student. Did Amda rescind the financial aid because he had to leave for part of the year?

If so, that really stinks…I’m just trying to discern if this was something that would’ve happened if he were attending any other BFA program.

As far as transferability, if someone transfers from any BFA MT program to another school, they’re going to have to start over, aren’t they? The curriculum in these BFA programs are sequential and unique. With the possible exception of a few liberal arts credits, no MT specific courses would transfer. I think this is a risk for anyone pursuing a BFA MT degree, not just folks considering Amda.

2 Likes

I don’t know the details. His mom is a school teacher and he was hospitalized and then had to come home. This was pre-pandemic. School allowed him to take a leave. When he got the clearance from the dr to go back, he had to start what he had in progress all over again.

This was prior to covid, so maybe rules have changed, but I know several students at my son’s college had to take leaves because they became ill and somehow worked it out with financial aid and the school. Public university, but they were understanding.

You are correct that each school’s BFA curriculum and coursework is unique. But as I understand it from both students, that was not the reason for inability to transfer. I used to teach college myself and was on a review committee for assessing other college’s coursework to determine equivalency at our school. Many schools have a database (some on their websites) of what one school’s coursework translates to be. I believe the cause for not allowing the transfer of courses was lack of accreditation. There are several higher education accrediting authorities and they have only been accredited by NAST, which many traditional colleges would not recognize. I believe they are now seeking accreditation through WASC but not sure of the status of that. But it is problematic for students who cannot afford to finish all four years there to earn their degree. I know quite a few students who attended there and none of them were able to finish. Money being the primary reason. And none of them able to transfer.

As far as other schools, I know that some will want you to start over. Not because things don’t transfer but because they want you for the whole four years. This year and last year, I know 3-4 kids auditioning and transferring to new BFA programs. I helped several of them prep for auditions. So far, none of them have had to start completely over.

2 Likes

Texas State has resumed making calls

5 Likes

Hope you got good news- congrats if so!

Thanks! Do you know if they make calls to everyone or just accepted/waitlisted people?

In the past, Tx State called accepted and waitlisted people only.

1 Like

I have never heard of any college calling those who have been denied. That would be a ton of calls.

2 Likes

this was the kind of stuff i had stumbled across with amda’s accreditation.

1 Like

How many schools are y’all still waiting on? We still have ten to go, although a lot of these are ones that weigh academics too which I think will make the hurdle a little higher for us. I think I’m more anxious than L!

4 for us - Emerson, Pace, Roosevelt, and BSU—

4 of 19 total applied, just for a frame of reference…

1 Like

7 here
BoCo, Pace, Roosevelt, UArts, Rider, Emerson, CCC (audition on Saturday)

1 Like

My kiddo has their CCC on Sat too! BAL!

1 Like