The future of the UC system-College Admission Recession

<p>So far the rumor of UC admittance is that at each of the campuses the acceptance rates have apparently “dipped” down quite a bit. How will this change things for the UC system, will it get harder, worse, or better in the future for students who will be enrolling this fall and later on into the 3rd and 4th years of education?</p>

<p>The UCs are cutting back enrollment in order to operate within budget. Students enrolling at the UCs in the Fall can expect some consolidation of classes and reduced hours for student services. In the next few years, there will be a much larger increase of transfer applicants as more students who are not originally accepted to the UCs attempt to transfer.</p>

<p>Are they also cutting back on the grants and scholarships they can offer? Has anyone heard whether there are fewer grant funds, such as Blue and Gold, available to incoming freshman?</p>

<p>From what i’ve seen, the effects of the budget cuts on the daily lives of students are greatly exaggerated by the media. If it weren’t for the newspapers, I’d never have even known the budget changed.</p>

<p>@crizello, I think financial aid remains largely unchanged for in-state students. But I have heard a lot of complaints from OOS students about zero financial aid last year; not sure if the trend will continue this year.</p>

<p>@spookyaction2, I agree, I had one student who is a junior at Cal lamenting about some class consolidation. But aside from that I haven’t heard very many complaints from current students.</p>