The new era- truth now

<p>I want to make it clear that I do not represent the school at all. I know a lot about it and will be truthful about it I I would hope the same if I were the one doing the asking.</p>

<p>I was just asked questions about Binghamton apparently from a friend of a student I'd worked with. The student assumed I represented the school and asked about ranks in terms of Public Ivy schools and some other questions. The questions made it seem like Binghamton was Harpur College of 1980. Wrong! The questions made me think that a lot of misinformation is out there, perhaps from decades of PR that was not as accurate as it could have been. Describing the school accurately would reduce the number of students who feel that their preconceptions were wrong. I made it clear to that student and I will say here that I do not represent the university in any way.</p>

<p>Binghamton is emerging from a decade or more of scandal. The previous president stepped down when a report about the most public of the scandals was about to be released. I believe she was destructive to the university. Other administrators left too although I believe that many involved did not. Some aspects of unethical/illegal conduct became public- some did not. My opinion was they misrepresented the school too. I think that does a disservice to students. If I were doing the asking, I'd want no less than the truth. Someone speculated that I'd been rejected from the school. No. There are pros and cons to any school. To not admit that is to be dishonest or ignorant. We may disagree about what those are but students will benefit from the conversation. What I write represents only my opinion. Give yours if you disagree.</p>

<p>To answer, there are no public Ivy schools. Some outstanding public schools enroll many students as strong as some of those at some Ivy League schools. I would not list Binghamton among those schools. Binghamton isn't Berkeley, UCLA (or any of the top UC's), Georgia Tech, Michigan, UNC, UVA, Wisc, William and Mary, or Indiana/Urbana. It is not the next tier (Penn State, Florida, U of Wash) either. I would put it in the following category. </p>

<p>Binghamton is a medium sized public university with relatively low tuition, large classes, nice dorms, a student body primarily from NY, and a broad range of majors although no where near as many as most flagships. Students get their degrees very efficiently. I believe they graduate on time with less debt than those graduating from many schools. Students can shave off a year or so with APs-a 3 could get credit for some topics. Since many students come from the suburban areas around the city-Long Island and Westchester-a good proportion of the graduates want to return to that area after graduation. They tend to be successful getting jobs in NYC. Compared to graduates of schools where students are less likely to end up in NYC, the salaries of graduates end up being high (as is the cost of living) so Binghamton ends up high on lists about salaries of grads. GPAs of graduates tend to be high (grade inflation). Students are given 4 credits for courses they'd get 3 credits for at other schools. They don't need more credits to graduate. This is a whopping advantage to students! </p>

<p>High GPAs help students gain entry to professional schools (compared to places like Princeton with grade deflation). Those that are not as strong are advised out of the running for certain professins early so the success rate at getting into professional schools is good. If I were to predict, I'd say that the student body is filled with good students from the 2nd quartile to the upper 3rd quartile in high school-if the ratings were not inflated by careful choice of less rigorous classes if a B were expected. Mid range students. There are a lot of good mid-range students in NY and Binghamton certainly fills that niche. By and large it is not an intellectual climate. Not many were conflicted between Chicago and Binghamton. Students tend to like the school, most find that they are very similar to many other students so making friends is easy. It is comfortable for many because so many others from their high school attend. It is easy to get back and forth from the NY met area too. Binghamton is a good school with a lot to offer students who were in the middle of the pack in high school. The middle is big so it is a good fit for many.</p>

<p>Students who like winter sports will find that the proximity to many recreational parks is a major plus. There is a nature preserve right on campus. Skiiing not far. Finger Lakes very close. Loads of out door opportunities.</p>

SATs aren’t everything, nor do I normally post on the topic of tiers, but are you sure that Binghamton is in a substantively lower category than some of the Universities you list as top publics, and all of those you list as the next tier?

Binghamton: 1203-1385
UICC: 1190-1380
Wisconsin: 1190-1340
Florida: 1170-1360
Washington: 1100-1360
Indiana U: 1060-1290
Penn State: 1070-1280

I’m a little surprised a Binghamton student didn’t comment before I did. They all must be busy studying.

(Source for SAT scores: USNWR Best Colleges, 2015 Edition.)

Here we go again. Scandals involving the previous President, I’ll agree to that. Unfortunately, scandals involving athletics and hazing on college campuses are too common across the country. I have no problem with you holding Binghamton’s previous administration accountable for this, although I wonder if you frequently post to other colleges’ boards holding them to the same standard.

You are way off the mark when you write, " the student body is filled with good students from the 2nd quartile to the upper 3rd quartile in high school…who were in the middle of the pack in high school." You know enough about the college admissions process that you could have easily checked Binghamton’s College Data Set and seen that this is false. For anyone interested in the truth, here is the link to Binghamton’s College Data Sets: http://www.binghamton.edu/oira/common-data-set.html.

Here’s what you would have found had to chosen to look. For first-time freshman entering in the fall of 2014, 56% had GPA’s of 3.75 or above, 19% were 3.50 to 3.74 and 15% were 3.25 to 3.49. Only 10% had GPA’s of 3.24 or below. For those students whose high schools calculate class rank (28% of enrolled freshman), 48% were in the top 10% of their class, 83% were in the top 25% and 97% were in the top 50%. This is hardly the 2nd and 3rd quartile that you erroneously claim.

You continue to claim that you are only offering your opinion. However, when your opinion is contrary to FACTS that are easily available to you and you no doubt know how to easily access, rather than contribute in any meaningful way to this discussion, you only insult Binghamton students past, present and future. Incidentally, I’m sick of reading this nonsense about how Binghamton is not the Harpur College of 1980. I was at Harpur College in 1980 and I also work with students. I can tell you with certainty that the students who apply, are admitted and enroll at Binghamton are at least as strong as my classmates and I were.

correction: UIUC

I’ve seen similar positions elsewhere on CC. School A has SAT scores 100 points lower than school B, yet school B is somehow the one with the uphill climb. This is particularly true where school A is a mega-university with a prominent football program, and school B is a more undergraduate-focused college. In this hypothetical, it is school B, in my opinion, that has both the statistical and intrinsic advantage in any comparison.

And why not let the B stand for Binghamton.

Not sure why you are resurrecting such an old thread. In contrast to Binghamton, where the OOS student’s credentials are weaker than the in state students, the credentials of the OOS students at flag ship schools tend to be considerably higher than those of the in state students. So general SATs are not that relevant. I’d be surprised to find many people who have spent an appreciable amount of time at the well known Flagship schools who find the SUNYS better. Not saying that the in state students at the flagships have higher SAT scores. But given a choice, I’d choose Michigan, Wisconsin, and about 50 others over Binghamton or any SUNY. Many people would choose a SUNY. It is a matter of fit and other factors.

To those of you who posted here, have you ever spent time at U or Wisc, Mich, Gainsvile? They have spactacular resources compared to SUNY schools. Which flagships have you spent time at and what did you think?

@lostaccount, where did/do you go to college?

OP how much time do you have on your hands

op was in December. Have to wonder about the motivation for resurrecting this old post. GabeKindSG, Oldmom are you hoping this thread is more widely read? Not objecting but find it interesting.

I am just wondering where your interest in criticizing Binghamton came from. Why do you bother? And why don’t you tell us?

A few years ago there was a poster here who was in every single Binghamton thread to say that Stony Brook is better. Is that you?

I have always been interested in the school since I am an alumna, but less so since my daughter decided to go elsewhere :). I didn’t resurrect the thread but noticed posts in it and there you were.

They call this site college confidential for a reason. LIke you, I don’t need to post my credentials.

I’m sure all previous posts the least bit critical of Binghamton must be mine. It’s everyone else’s top choice isn’t it?

I’m quite sure I was the only one to notice Binghamton was overcharging NY high school grads and refusing refunds.

Who else but me cared that the school was denying hazing to distraught parents begging for change? Yes, I’ve been posting here since 1999.

I hope that readers note the lack of information about your interests.

No, I don’t have to post my “credentials,” but I think it helps readers know where I am coming from. To me the “confidential” part is that I don’t give my name.

My interests are irrelevant. I post my opinion. Readers may agree or disagree. I believe that is the intent of this site. It seems inconsistent with the intent of the site to ask questions/pressure or badger other posters about their interest, credentials or reason for posting. If posters were badgered about such things few people would be posting anything.

I trust that readers can interpret each post in light of other information that they have and that they subsequently read. I try to be accurate but I post my opinions. Each poster is free to do the same.

Since I have never looked at the interests of any other poster, I haven’t any idea what people tend to post about themselves. I’m not particularly interested. People who are interested in the interests of those who post will have to look at the profiles for other posters since I don’t provide that information.