The Official M10 2020 Freakout Thread

@lulicardoso Congrats on CSW!! Good luck on your upcomings!

Congratulations! Did you receive the CSW acceptance via the Ravenna Portal?

Waitlisted: Exeter
Denied: Andover

Boarding school isn’t my #1 option; I’m probably going to a local day school. However, I’m so happy that I got waitlisted at Exeter.

Thank you! The admission office sent me the email, Ravenna still says it’s not uploaded

Sending everyone love on this day filled with highs and lows.

DD has an acceptance: Deerfield, Andover, Loomis, Mercersburg, NMH, George, Kent
Rejection: Taft
WL: Middlesex, SPS

Waiting on HK and Groton

as im pulling an allnighter to check my decisions and im desperately looking me for someone to adopt me into their thread does anyone want to share how theyre feeling now that most of the decisions are out? :0)

Congratulations on the acceptances!
Did you recieve the NMH acceptance via their portal?

@fruitjuice Well, kinda surprised to be truthful! BS seemed like a distant dream but now it’s right smack in front of me! And not just a specific school - that doesn’t matter as much - but just the whole exciting idea of a new world of opportunities and people to get to know!!!

I’m lightheaded. Like I feel like I need to unhook my bra or I might pass out (sorry, it’s true!).

Hey, @fruitjuice asked! I’m just answering a question :wink: :blush:

@avilynnnn, Congratulations!. My son got accepted at Exeter too for 9th grade. What grade are you going in for?.

@ttK5050 @LeeLeeB i definitely know what u mean :DD it still feels so surreal to me i guess and im not sure why but it really is starting to hit me that ill be leaving everything behind. before today i really felt super excited but right now i still have the feeling except mixed in with 10x more bittersweet nostalgia for a community and friend group i havent even left yet (sorry ik that sounds a little depressing haha).

@enpassant2019 here’s the thing: in your scenario, Alan Turing would be just fine. The fact that a kid is accepted or not to a school does not foredoom the rest of their lives.

Finally, for the past several years (8 or so) it is actually harder to get admitted as a faculty kid to the school I"m most familiar with. Those faculty kids absolutely deserve to be there.

@Projects2Prep - The stock market is not crashing. If you’re panicking about the stock market today, you probably should’ve never been in the stock market in the first place. Just sayin’.

Most longterm investors stay the course, have plenty of cash on hand and certainly don’t panic about BS tuition or market volatility.

It’s 3 am but I can’t sleep soundly unless I get accepted to at least one school.

DS was waitlisted at one of his top choices. Had a nice conversation with AO who is also a coach for team(s) DS participates in…regarding Corona virus and waitlist…he said this year in talking with other BS AO no one seems to know how much of an impact the virus will have on who enrolls but all schools he spoke to are anticipating a higher rate of movement off the waitlist when compared to past years. Apologies for being long winded in conveying to the group that waitlist news is not what you want today but be prepared that you may be moved off that list fairly quickly this year. Good luck to all and congrats to all who have received good news.

@Chan2006 I feel you. I’m in study hall at school right now and I just can’t focus. I don’t have much confidence that I will get in though.

With all due respect, do you have any idea the mathematical probability a 7th grader would score perfect 1600 on SAT? (No, I am not talking about scoring 99% on the SSAT.)

One in a million.

We call them gifted. In fact, this is exactly how scientists spot prodigies: extraordinary SAT scores obtained BEFORE age of 13. All gifted programs require SAT scores.

The Prodigy Puzzle - The New York Times - https://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/20/magazine/the-prodigy-puzzle.html

This kid is clearly gifted. If one still argues being a prodigy is but one metric in gaining admission to the nation’s top boarding, it sounds to me like saying winning a Nobel Prize is but one metric in gaining a tenure at Harvard. Hmm…

Being gifted might not be everything, but for a “holistic” admission process to have some authority, it should at least weigh more than, say, being the institutionally needed tuba player or entertaining AO for 20 minutes with talks. After all, this is a school - Raw intellectual power should matter heavily.

People can be fooled, but probability cannot be fooled. Your definition of merit may differ widely from mine but I do not think you (and the AO) understand the implication of 1600 scored at grade 7.

Otherwise I would have to think Andover played a yield protection here. Don’t they all do it?

MODERATOR’S NOTE:
Might I remind users that this is not a debate site. The kid that did not get into Andover has other excellent options. I’m not understanding why users, particularly those unrelated to said applicant, are debating holistic admissions, but you all need to move on.

@ZimchiZuru congrats!!! I’m going into 10th grade