The Official M10 2020 Freakout Thread

I haven’t been active today but here are my decisions.
Exeter-Waitlisted
Middlesex-Waitlisted
Hotchkiss- ACCEPTED MARIA BISSEL SCHOLAR!!!
Loomis- ACCEPTED LC SCHOLAR!!!

@wlevy465 Thats incredible! I’m so happy for your two acceptances and waitlists. Whichever school you end up choosing will be very lucky to have you!

Final tally is: 1-1-1
Accepted: Taft with almost full FA
Waitlisted: Deerfield
Rejected: Hotchkiss

students who have been accepted to Hotchkiss: is it a video once you log in or do you have to click on the “View Status Update” button? Or is there no video at all and just text? I want to check but I’m scared

I just took a nap to get my mind off L’ville… and then I saw the acceptance email fro Peddie! I almost cried then and there. Thank god for everything.

Accepted into Hotchkiss!!!

@sadpotato when you click the link, you have to click the decision tab.

Is it just me or is everyone seeming to be getting a lot more rejections and waitlists this year, even for people going into freshman year or sophomore year? How come?

@CrackersCrayons yeah, that seems to be the case this year :frowning:

@ sadpotato Just got accepted to Hotchkiss! It’s the status update, not a video :slight_smile:

Yay! I got accepted to Hotchkiss as well!

I’m going to try to be grateful for the one acceptance I did receive, and any other people who didn’t get the results they want, I wish you all the best of luck in your future endeavors!

So sad:( 13 schools, 0 acceptances, 7 waitlists, and 6 rejections:(

I got in to peddie!

@CrackersCrayons - Indeed. My 12/15 /19 post ( warning ) on this thread :

Quick PSA. Also- don’t shoot the messenger.

I just completed my 8th BS alum interview ( for a BS in the Top 15 ) this week and I have three more scheduled for next week.

My husband has conducted 10 alum interviews in one week for a Top 5 BS, and he has another nine ( NINE!! ) next week - and it’s December!

Other BS alums in my family ( young and old ) have been called into service as well for many Top 35 BSs - including two very popular single sex schools.

FWIW- Alum interviews are usually done for two reasons : Logistics ( for the applicant- which can include financial consideration w/ regard to travel expense or just a simple convenience for busy working parents regardless of expense ) and overflow. Both our BS AO’s report a record shattering admissions cycle ( for all schools ) and we were called in ( along with many other alums at many different schools, I’m told ) to help manage record overflow.

In other words, all BSs are getting slammed and my understanding is the quality of the candidates ( overall ) is very, very good. Speaking only for myself - I’ve been VERY impressed with my crop this year so far , too - which hasn’t always been the case - and I’ve been doing this for many years!

I am not posting this to freak anyone out - even though I’m sure it will. I’m coming out of CC retirement ( briefly ) to encourage ALL applicants to reassess the number of schools they’re applying to and make adjustments ( if needed ) before app deadlines.

I’m also asking that you go over your current apply-to list today and give each school one last honest appraisal. You have the academic piece covered with all BSs, so now is a really good time for you to go back and check all the other ( hopefully ) fun and absolutely vital boxes - and listen to your gut!!

After all - you can have the best stats in the world , but you will not be successful or happy at a BS if you ignore what is left OUTSIDE the classroom and FIT - so please do your due diligence now.

One last thing- if you haven’t cast a wide net, I would suggest that you do so immediately. All the schools in the Top 35 are worthy of your attention, and will give you a world class education, and ALL are in the position to offer substantial FA. It’s also worth repeating that there are NO safety schools for anyone ( including legacies ) in the Top 35. None. Zip.

Thankfully, you still have time to consider more schools and submit more apps, if needed. Remember: Skype is your friend if you need placement next year and can’t schedule an on campus or alum interview for whatever reason.

If you DO have a viable school option at home, and you only have Top Ten schools on your list, by all means, disregard this post and roll the dice.

If you are a FP applicant and NEED a school for next year, you’ll be best served by applying to a minimum of ten schools. If you need any amount of FA, I would recommend 15 or more.

Also- make sure your application for each school makes sense to both you AND them. When you put an emphasis on FIT, personal growth and a mutually beneficial experience - you really can’t go wrong.

Good luck!

@TheHappinessFund Congratulations!

@TheHappinessFund yayyy!! I’m so happy for you!!

Hey all, please remember to if possible to post your results on the 2020 Prep School Decisions Thread. That thread has no stats, just basic Accepted, WL, R (of course, the the other stats thread would be extremely good to post to as well). It will really support next year’s applicants.

Thank you everyone for sharing all of your positive energy and hopes and support here. You are really amazing people, especially you young kids. You all have really good things coming your way.

I met my husband because I made a wrong turn 22 year ago and walked down Gorham, not Gilman Street. My two kids wouldn’t exist without that wrong turn. Some things now that don’t seem to have a reason, that you are so certain are the “wrong way,” or shocking, or not part of your plan, could end up taking you down the path that will lead to the most beautiful happiness and love you can imagine. We just can’t see that yet because we’re still here in the now.

@TheHappinessFund Yesssss!!! Congrats! You did it!

I also wanted to say that I’m grateful for all the advice I have received, if I came across as rude in my thread I deeply apologize, I’m just protective. We received about 20 hours ago, a confirmation of my daughter’s ASD diagnosis. Despite this, she will still be attending a boarding school next fall. I just wanted to tell everyone to keep their heads up, because anything is possible! Like @LeeLeeB said, even if it doesn’t seem right, something better will come along for you!