The Official M10 2023 Freakout Thread

Does anyone know if overseas students get welcome/congrats packages as well or are those just for US students? If overseas students also get them, do they just show up weeks after March 10 or do schools try to get them to arrive on March 10 by sending them priority/overnight?

1 Like

Just our experience - nope we never received anything (package/swag) for M10 acceptances overseas. nor did we ever receive any other form of mail as others have said they received (holiday cards or really even any marketing material)…that being said I had a DD applying to college last year and was soooo thankful to avoid being on these college mailing lists (or colleges were too budget conscious to be sending mailings every week overseas)

5 Likes

My daughter received welcome pack just 1 or 2 days after 10M, as they sent out with DHL express before 10M

4 Likes

My son applied for 9th grade to:
St. Mark’s
Concord
Williston
Gunn
Hotchkiss
Berkshire

8 Likes

I’ve had two kids go through the college process and the amount of mail (and oh my goodness - email) is staggering!

We are on our 3rd child going through the college process with number 4 heading to BS - the amount of mail and junk emails that we/they get is outrageous! It is delete, delete, delete with the emails -

Another Gunn applicant here too (well mom of a Gunn applicant)! She applied for 10th grade.

williston has been a fabulous experience for my daughter so far this (9th) grade year - so happy to answer an questions; it is such a well run 9th grade program with great advisors, opportunities etc - very close community and nurturing faculty

4 Likes

Thanks for this…one of my girls (twins applying for PG years) applied to a school with an early (non binding) option, and their revisit day is Friday, so they’re in New Hampshire right now!

@Calliemomofgirls and anyone else with a long way to travel, did you do revisit days (which for us would mostly be the first time we see a school)? I actually managed to find out everyone’s revisit days and get them on a calendar, but since flights are wacky, I’m planning on just landing somewhere on the east coast for their spring break and driving wherever we need to go (with a backup of people to see and places to go in case there aren’t any schools to visit at all. Which would suck but there are no guarantees so I have to plan for that as well)

3 Likes

We are over 8000 miles away from Boston, so no revisit days for our daughter. One school did say that they would set our daughter up with a student for revisit day that would chat with her throughout the day and livestream her classes if my daughter wants (and if she’s accepted). We may ask for something like that at other schools as well.

She has only been to the campuses during the summer so she has never seen any school with students there.

2 Likes

Just a quick update that it was a blanket email to the entire applicant pool.

Since your girls are aiming for PG year, do they know where they want to go to college? Can you fit some college tours, or at least drive through campuses as part of your East Coast jaunt?

1 Like

Thank you so much! Williston is in his top three for sure – he said " the vibe was chill" after his visit/interview. We actually got an email from the head of school this week that said although decisions aren’t final at this point, they like what they saw in our application and he looks forward to meeting with us personally at admitted student day, so seems like it will be a part of our final decision… :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Loomis Application: did anyone see the link to SSAT Waiver Form disappear (once logged in your portal, there is a checklist, below the bottom of the checklist, there used to be a link to the waiver form itself, but that link disappeared over the last several days)?

I am trying to read tea leaves here. So quiet!!!

1 Like

There are none to be read. And common sense should dictate that portal astrology is not in play 3 weeks before the decision date.

1 Like

First year in the cycle with DD2, I made a tentative plan for which schools would be a revisit for us if it was a yes, and then planned to pivot and swap out schools as needed, depending on getting into her top 4/5 or not. The schools were relatively drivable from one another (all east coast, so a flight over + rental car) so this seemed like a somewhat reasonable plan. Also, I booked some hotels that I thought were particularly hard to get (like Andover Inn and Groton Inn for example), and figured I would just cancel as needed.
And cancelling WAS needed! She got in to her schools but 2020 meant all revisits were cancelled! we were VERY bummed to miss out on any revisits.

Second year in the cycle with DD3 – I did a similar thing. I looked at all the revisit dates and saw they would generally line up with our spring break. So I made a tentative schedule – flight over + rental car – which then got firmed up as acceptances came in. There was one school on her list that was completely in another part of the country that didn’t enable us to visit on revisit day. I worked with admissions to find another day to fly out – I offered several options and none of them worked with the admissions office, and finally we had to make a decision to visit them and cross off a couple of east coast schools off our list just to see that one school. Well, that one school got knocked off our list. It was the one time we really wanted to visit where the school just wouldn’t accommodate any of our possible dates.

Anyway @SoCalMomOfFour2 I think you are on the right track! Especially now that flights can be cancelled for credit. (I think I used miles to keep some flexibility).

2 Likes

+1 in Williston experience being amazing. 10th grade boarder (son).

1 Like

Newbie here! :wave:t2:

I am very grateful to the parents and kids of this forum who take the time to share their wisdom, experiences and humour. We are an international family and entirely new to the US boarding school process. Our DS is applying for 9th grade boarding entry in Fall 2023. The decision to apply was taken late last year, leaving us with a steep learning curve. Your insights and perspectives have been incredibly valuable.

To current applicants, congratulations on all you have accomplished during the application journey so far, and wishing you every success on 10 March!

8 Likes

I have no doubt that @skieurope is correct, but I will gladly to join you for light-hearted cup of tea, @tripleaaaaaa :teapot: :laughing:

I see a “Test Score Intent Form” where I understand you to be indicating. If I recall correctly, this has always been there. DS’s is ticked. (He submitted his SSAT scores.)

I looked and see a few school portals have changed a bit others not at all. Some dropped the checklist and rather than seeing “applicant ID” it says “student ID” but I take that only as a webpage formatting change. 3 weeks is way too early and they wouldn’t be loading any decisions in the event they make changes or some glitch leaked results early.