The Official M10 2023 Freakout Thread

There are some schools that do have an unspoken “cut off”. Thats not to say that someone below that cut off has zero chance, but it’s going to be an uphill battle for them.

3 Likes

Groton, lawrenceville, Andover, Deerfield, Choate, hotchkiss, Exeter, St. Paul;

1 Like

Milton and middlesex

1 Like

Hi! Does anyone know of any scholarships offered to attend BS (those offered by organizations other than the school)

5 Likes

Thanks for asking about the acronyms! We just heard yes from our safety which is great as it is S26’s birthday today as well!

7 Likes

Grand parents!

1 Like

LMAO. I didn’t get into Chilton though

3 Likes

Last year, SPS sent an email on March 9 with the access details. As I recall, they also released much later in the day on March 10 than most other schools.

3 Likes

Parents, how would you communicate with your kids if they got a dream school offer, but without enough Financial Aid and you can not afford?

2 Likes

These are acronyms developed by College Confidential users to represent the supposedly most prestigious prep schools in the US.

G Groton
L Lawrenceville
A Andover
D Deerfield
C Choate
H Hotchkiss
E Exeter
M Middlesex
S St Pauls

and

H Hotchkiss
A Andover
D Deerfield
E Exeter
S St Pauls

These are wonderful schools and there are many other wonderful schools!

3 Likes

Looks like University of Illinois! Seriously speaking, I’d let them understand that I’m proud of their accomplishments and that my failures as a provider should and will not affect their future potential earnings or opportunities regardless of what high school they go to. Cream eventually always rises to the top.

4 Likes

Incredible reference (which even some of the parents on these boards will miss)!

4 Likes

Has anyone gotten news from Deerfield on the time of release?

1 Like

If they get any offer, it’s a dream school offer. Come on, team, these places are all amazing!

3 Likes

Last year it was early (6:30 a.m. or so) and delivered via email (no portal).

2 Likes

yes but it was a long time ago
like either the application complete or the doorway to deerfield emails
they said 6:30 - 8:00

2 Likes

For the uninitiated:

If you still don’t get the reference, ask your mom. :grin:

3 Likes

Discuss this possibility before 0105 or now rather than after M10.

3 Likes

These were discussions we had at the beginning with a clear understanding about what it may very well mean. To wait until M10 was not an option.

At most schools you won’t know what you are getting (until your admitted of course) and it will vary from school to school. Just like parents have variable amounts of money to spend, so do the schools. The only thing that is certain is that you will get $0 if you don’t apply. It’s a gamble you have to take and every family is different as to what they can do to make up a deficit in aid awarded. The specifics don’t necessarily have to be discussed with the child but it should have been clear a long time ago to what extent your parents are willing to go. Some may be fine taking out loans for some. Others may take out loans for all. Others have the cash. Others yet will say there is no way without a full award. So if you are wondering what parents will say to kids, it doesn’t help you because we aren’t your parents and we don’t know what their financials are. These really are things that should have been understood with your parents before putting your effort into applying for an education that has a price tag larger than the price of some homes in this country. Application prices are one thing, but did they understand what you were doing? Did they see the price tags? I assume they did as they had a portion of the app to complete, interviews, visits (maybe), and a financial aid packet to fill out. Have they realistically said anything to you about not getting a large enough reward because that might be something to talk to them about NOW before M10. But I would have hoped they didn’t just let you do all of this for nothing without any understanding of the bottom line.

1 Like

I’m reading this thread and thinking of next Friday, my heart just got more and more nervous! My son, on the other hand, is very calm and patient - he is not worried at all! :rofl:

4 Likes