The Official M10 2023 Freakout Thread

Yeh that’s why I asked because not everyone in a particular bucket is going to be using a consultant or have a private school counselor to contact. Many kids have no idea what their first choice even is at this point, maybe top 3 or 4. Schools have to take their chances at some point. Heck people that say “yeh you’re my top choice” aren’t necessarily truthful and simply want an acceptance rather than a rejection.

The consultant is risking their reputation and credibility with the school if they don’ttell the truth just to get an acceptance they don’t really want. This is the value they provide to both sides.

3 Likes

I just want to send good vibes to everyone. I know the time is approaching. I have been here reading the most and this site has been very helpful to us through this process. Thanks to you all who are contributing here everyday. You are angels in disguise. I didn’t know what I was putting myself into and I nearly gave up but I kept pushing until we were able visit all the schools we chose and finally sent the applications. We applied to 10 schools as I didn’t know how well I prepared my daughter for the schools she wanted but I didn’t want to go through this process again in case she will not be accepted to any of those schools. She is the only child so I admire those who have gone through this process more than once. So for that i had to add more schools on the list as backups. Now I don’t have much of the pressure anymore as she has been accepted to two of the day schools here and wait listed in one school but the thing is that she wants Deerfield or Peddie the most so that is why she is just so anxious about it for now but I keep telling her that she has to love the school that loves her. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Sure but maybe the kid doesn’t legitimately know. Or if the BS isn’t dealing with a paid consultant in order to find out if the applicant will go there for sure. Whether it is the consultant or a counselor, or even legacy who are contact, all they can tell the BS is what they know about the student’s intentions.

My son goes to a private pre-K-8 and last night the high school counselor had a required zoom call where he basically told us

1. to stop being so nuts
    and
  2. yes he already knows where the kids got in, because it’s his job to make sure everyone gets in somewhere they want to go.

A parent also said that rumor had it that several kids were called into his office yesterday to talk choices, so yes I guess yesterday was the day schools were reaching out to counselors for final decisions from kids.

Just in case anyone thought this was a meritocracy, this is what a $40k a year private school will get you. :woman_shrugging:

I like this counselor, and I wish we’d had this help when my oldest was applying.

I’m sorry so many parents are being nuts to him, and I feel sorry for this guy. I know I’m being crazy about this in applying to like 16 different schools (because I genuinely don’t know what’s the best fit for my kid, who really doesn’t fit into a tidy box… super smart! Some special needs but it’s vague how much support he needs! Needs financial aid! etc… then he pulled some nonsense about applying to a couple top schools he’s not going to get into and wouldn’t like anyway because “you don’t think I’m good enough to get in? :pleading_face: “ and really, how’s a mother supposed to react to that except sit down and let him write whatever essays Groton etc wanted? But I can only imagine this poor counselor groaning and thinking what fruitcakes we are for wasting our time and his.) and I definitely get the sense that I’m the least of this guy’s problems amongst the parent population. I kinda want to send him a big fruit basket or something.

7 Likes

Will there be a 2023 Decisions thread? Always felt like this was a great summary and great resource for prospective families.

10 Likes

2 days and I think all the fear has died down after the whole UPS/FEDex business😭 but for those who haven’t gotten anything you’ll be okay! I’m one of them and M10 will be good for all of us!

4 Likes

Really hoping no notifications in our case doesn’t mean that all are rejections. Ughhhh

2 Likes

yeah hopefully!! I didn’t set up an account so I wouldn’t get disappointed

2 Likes

I hope so. I have read over the past few years’ threads several times over the last year. They are very informative. Both the “stats” thread and the “decisions” thread. Both are quite useful.

I can’t check usps because of this code set up thing taking forever to come to my house, but I hope when I come from school i get an acceptance package!

yeah that would be nice. I just moved so I’m hoping they don’t send my package (if I get one) to the wrong address

1 Like

did you tell admission?

1 Like

I did. maybe I shouldn’t worry too much

1 Like

I wish i was applying for 9th grade tbh tho. 11th grade admissions is difficult

1 Like

Wow, it’ll be a bit hard to get in, but someone has to.

I’m applying to 9th, but lots of other people are, too. Everyone wants a spot :sob:

I can confirm that counselors were calling this week – I work at a k-8 and was subbing at the front office for a few hours yesterday and Loomis called to talk to our placement officer. We had a few kids apply to Loomis, so I’m sure he was calling to see who was most likely to accept.

I have also heard it is more competitive for 11th grade, but there are kids every year that are admitted at that age without athletics or other recruitment, so there is definitely a chance!

1 Like

thank you! I hope your child does well. Even though I’ve done freshman year at a charter/public school, i hope your child can build a strong GPA and succeed!

2 Likes

this subthread makes me want to bug my kids school advisor (not private counselor) and start asking questions about what they know :rofl: :rofl:

Note, I have always assumed they’d know at this point, at least about 3 of the 5 schools due to close relationships…but never thought to actually bother them about it!

1 Like